@tiggerz avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 200L

Hooked
@tiggerz avatar
Vespa 200L
UTC quote
It took a trip to a mechanic to figure out how to get the Malossi 218 kit installed and the engine has felt a little flat. I took her on a short tour this week around my county, following the FortNine prescribed method of break in (about 10 minutes of low 10-30 mile per hour riding, then around 10 minutes of 30-50, and then a controlled jump into the higher ranges 50 and over for no more than--you guessed it--10 minutes. Then rest and check fluids. Being honest, for the last "high speed" leg I drafted an ambulance that didn't have their lights on for about 8 miles and she had no problems keeping up in the near 70s).

But after a couple rides this weekend to and from town (haven't hit the 100 mile mark yet) the bike seemed to be getting sluggish. I wound her up the same way as described and then on a short highway stretch gave her the reigns. She struggled to hit 60.

Previous to this upgrade I replaced the governor with a Malossi performance one, and the CVT was rebuilt within the last 1.5 year mark. Fresh carb cleaning. She sat for a while before going to the mechanic because I could never figure out how to get some of the bushings to fit (turns out for my engine model they were not required post upgrade). Also seems like she is running a little rich atm.

Have I already lost compression on the cylinder?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
What did you do to get the oil scraper rings onto the piston and into the cylinder?
OP
@tiggerz avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 200L

Hooked
@tiggerz avatar
Vespa 200L
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
What did you do to get the oil scraper rings onto the piston and into the cylinder?
I paid the mechanic😜

To stress: I didn't install the kit. But Melossi advises to keep the bike "below 45 for the first 300 miles" like they think that would actually happen. She didn't overheat on the ride--if my gauges are still accurate--and I described the rides as "gentle" because...I was. I never WRT'd, wasn't pinning the motor off the line. Was just trying to vary the ware with differing speeds.

The only thing I've done since her return is pump the front tire from 15 to 30 psi, add coolant and check the oil
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Tiggerz wrote:
But Melossi advises to keep the bike "below 45 for the first 300 miles" like they think that would actually happen.
Where did you read this?

Find out how the mechanic got the three part oil scraper ring to fit into the piston and then into the cylinder and if he'd ever installed one of these kits before. Also, what mark on the engine did he use to set TDC when he put the kit on.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0109s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0039s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]