OP
UTC

Vespa P125X, Stella 2T

Vespa P125X, Stella 2T
UTC quote
So, I got this 1980 Vespa P125X as a project. I have already had help with the fuel system, so thanks for that.

I pulled the cylinder off to examine the engine and found this.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Vespa P125X, Stella 2T

Vespa P125X, Stella 2T
UTC quote
So I purchased a new cylinder and piston for the bike and spend all day Saturday fitting it. I got it to run...

For about 30 seconds...

After it stopped the engine was seized up and I opened the cylinder and found this...
⚠️ Last edited by TromboneBob on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Vespa P125X, Stella 2T

Vespa P125X, Stella 2T
UTC quote
So I guess that the problems also is in the lower end of the engine. So my major questions is what should I do next?

Do I rebuild my engine as is or do I kit up?

Another option is a P200 engine. I have a sidecar project that I would eventually like to hook up to this scooter.
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
UTC quote
I would normally say rebuild yourself because its not complicated if you're just replacing parts. Since it's a project and not sure if motor been open before, no telling what you have inside that motor. Maybe it's just a bad crank. bad lower end or a bad install of the top end. But it could be more and you will need someone that knows what they are doing to make sure all the correct gears and other components related to that motor is being used. Also, adding a sidecar requires something more then a 125cc top end. For that motor, 150cc will work but a 166 or 177 top end will be better. Of course a P200 motor is ideal if you can find one at a decent price.

I suggest several options.
1. Start researching and rebuild yourself. If you think you can tackle a correct rebuild yourself and have questions, this group can help you along the way.
2. find someone local that has worked on vintage vespas for years to help you get the motor complete properly and in the future give you a piece of mind. Not necessary a mechanic but another vintage rider in the area can help a lot.
3. If you can't find anyone locally or don't want to rebuild yourself correctly, send the motor to Mercato. They have the best Vespa motor rebuild prices anywhere and Matt has been working on these things for decades. http://www.scootermercato.com/Garage/Engine-Rebuilds

Good luck!
OP
UTC

Vespa P125X, Stella 2T

Vespa P125X, Stella 2T
UTC quote
Thanks for the advice. My basic research is showing that full rebuild kit for a p125x is about $600 from http://www.scootermercato.com/OVERHAULKIT-VNX

How much should I pay for a used running P200 engine?

I have done a few top end replacements before on different scooters and small engines and lots of carb rebuilds over the years. I did a valve job on a BMC 998cc engine, so I think that I could do any rebuild.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a scooter stand to help keep it up when I take it off?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0133s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0058s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]