OP
@birdlover avatar
UTC

@birdlover avatar
UTC quote
I have a long story but I will make it as short as possible.

In January of 2018 I had 1.2 Million USD. Right now bankrupt with nothing.

I can not even afford a car so I started looking at Vespas which cost much less than a car.

I plan to get a Vespa Primavera 150. Does anyone use a vespa as their only means of transportation?
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150

Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Sorry to hear that life's thrown you a curveball. I guess it really depends on what you're current transit needs are (ie how much stuff do you need to bring with you). Also what distances are you expecting to cover on a daily basis and how much weather are you willing to put up with.
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTV250:: Et4 150

Hooked
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC quote
Re: Vespa as only transportation?
BirdLover wrote:

I can not even afford a car so I started looking at Vespas which cost much less than a car.

I plan to get a Vespa Primavera 150. Does anyone use a vespa as their only means of transportation?
Sorry to hear that, partied it all away or spent it on a lady ?
OP
@birdlover avatar
UTC

@birdlover avatar
UTC quote
notbenh wrote:
Sorry to hear that life's thrown you a curveball. I guess it really depends on what you're current transit needs are (ie how much stuff do you need to bring with you). Also what distances are you expecting to cover on a daily basis and how much weather are you willing to put up with.
Hi thank you for the response. At most I would take a briefcase and a grocery bag.

I also live in a smaller city so everywhere would be under 5 miles from my home.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I do have a car, but in effect my Vespa is my main transport. My wife uses the car most of the time these days. I go just about everywhere on the Vespa including long day trips of sometimes several hundred miles. Mines the 300 GTS which is quite well suited to long trips and it's great around town too.

If you intend to include long trips I'd suggest going for the bigger engined bike. If it's mostly urban, town & some country rides of not too bigger distance then the 150 could be the better one to go for.

Essentially only you can make the final decision but test rides on both a 300 and a 150 will help you decide.

Sorry to hear of your issues but a Vespa could suit your needs for some time to come. If serviced correctly they are very reliable. Oh, welcome to the site and good luck!
⚠️ Last edited by Stromrider on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@birdlover avatar
UTC

@birdlover avatar
UTC quote
huntbchsocal wrote:
BirdLover wrote:

Sorry to hear that, partied it all away or spent it on a lady ?
Bad investment but I did get one good thing out of it when I knew I was going to fall rock bottom.

My parents are safe in their own home and they do have a safe suv I bought them aswell.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Sorry about Fyre Festival. Better luck next time.

A lot of people use scooters as basic daily transportation. Not so much in Texas. But it is easier with Uber. If you are on a limited budget, and want reliable daily transportation, there are a lot of better, cheaper options than a Vespa Primavera.
Here is an extensive list of every very reliable 150-200cc scooter with excellent dealer networks and parts and service availability that you can purchase in the USA:
Yamaha S-Max
Honda PCX 150
Suzuki Burgman 200
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
The Burgman 200 is a great scooter for business use...
Sorry to read that you have difficulty, you will get back on the road.
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@huntbchsocal avatar
UTC quote
BirdLover wrote:

I have a 250 an my wife has a 150 ,

They both get around very well for us and the 150 is light and easy to handle the 250 is bulkier and heavier, my wife prefers the smaller one I prefer the bigger one.

I would get a top box for extra storage.

Good Luck on your search
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150

Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
BirdLover wrote:
Hi thank you for the response. At most I would take a briefcase and a grocery bag.

I also live in a smaller city so everywhere would be under 5 miles from my home.
Yup, Scooter only is possible. My commute is ~9mi each way and I put about 120mi on it each week. If you want to stick with a briefcase, have your dealer install the flat rack and you can just strap the briefcase down. If it's just the contents that you care about possibly move to a backpack or look at the topcase options to have the bike carry the load for you.

If you are planning on taking longer trips once in a while then it's really more a matter of what the roads are like between here and there. I've done a few 200-ish mile days on my 150. Though all of that was done on roads where I never got above 50mph. A 150 can do about 65mph so highways are possible but not really recommended so plot out the back roads and have more fun.

Given what little I know about your situation a scooter could do what you need, though the question still not answered is can you? If you've had a motorcycle before then ya you know what your getting in to in regards to traffic and weather. If this is your first time then it's a factor to consider.
@paulrf avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Piaggio Medley 150

Enthusiast
@paulrf avatar
2018 Piaggio Medley 150
UTC quote
My Piaggio is my only form of transport and I have a good range of riding gear to suit wet winters and hot summers. There are many people I know who only ride 2 wheels especially in the city where I live as there are heaps of free all day parking for motorcycles and scooters.

Paul
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
UTC quote
I wouldn't recommend a Vespa as your only mode of transportation anywhere in the U.S. if you truly need to get around (e.g. for employment purposes) and don't have/can't afford other options (public transit, friends, family, Lyft, etc.). I have an older Toyota Corolla and a GTS 300. My wife also has a Toyota. Public transit options to and from work are nonexistent. Since my wife and I work in different locations and at different times, we each need to have a reliable way of getting to/from work... Sadly, the Vespa has not proven reliable enough for me to even consider replacing my car (Connecticut weather doesn't support it either ). Additionally, unless you are a skilled mechanic, maintenance/repairs on a Vespa can be challenging (if you do it yourself) or expensive (if someone else does it) and time consuming. Parts availability can be somewhat limited, too. If you can afford unreliable and costly (in both time and money) transportation, by all means get a Vespa! I have one... I love it! But I'm fortunate that I don't need to rely on the Vespa to inexpensively get me to a job to produce income. In the U.S, a Vespa is a fun luxury item, not an everyday workhorse commuting vehicle.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Well, I guess everyone has different experiences. I commuted on my Primavera every day for two years without a hitch. All I did was change the oil. My car just sat in the garage. The only reason I stopped riding so much is because I retired.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
As others have stated:

For $5349, the MSRP of a Primavera, you could buy a slightly used Japanese scooter or motorcycle in the 150-250cc range and have money for riding gear left over.

Or, you could probably find an older basic car or pickup, and have weather protection, better storage, room for friends/family, and a higher level of safety.

Are you going to grocery shop, visit the doctor/dentist when you're in pain, go on a date, and such like, on a scooter? In Texas?
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
My son has been scooter only for over 10 years. In Houston stones. He started at 15 with a Buddy 125. Then moved town Aprilia-Piaggio Sports City 250 when he went to university and needed something freeway capable. After Harvey flooded it he moved to a BV 350 but as I said he needs freeway capability he puts 10-15,000 on it annually. The Sports City had something g like 86,000 miles on it when it was flood damaged.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I live in Texas... don't have to tell you that Texas is BIG and diverse. I like to ride my scoot, but could not consider it my only form of transportation in our part of the state - air conditioning is more than just "nice to have" a good portion of the year.

I second the idea of something like a Honda PCX, unless you need to do regular highway riding. Pick up one used for less than $2k; put any other money you have towards an econobox car, for those times you need to travel out of the weather.

Good luck as you move forward.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
pokeyjoe wrote:
Well, I guess everyone has different experiences. I commuted on my Primavera every day for two years without a hitch. All I did was change the oil. My car just sat in the garage. The only reason I stopped riding so much is because I retired.
Good point... I drive about 10,000 miles per year. Did you put 20,000 miles on your Vespa in two years with just oil changes? I don't think so. If the OP lives in a part of Texas where he/she can conveniently get around on a scooter and doesn't drive too much, then they should go for it. But I'm not sure a Vespa would be my first choice, especially if I was paying a professional to do the maintenance. When I brought my Vespa in to the dealer for its "initial service" at 647 miles, the cost was $226.34 The next dealer service at 3300 miles was $331.72. That's $550+ for 3300 miles. Then, I started doing my own service, which has been more cost effective, but time consuming and sometimes frustrating (I'm not mechanically inclined). One issue: changing the rear tire - I couldn't get the rear frame swingarm off and had to buy a special tool to do so. The swingarm was so stuck, it actually broke the tool! Another issue: my ECU/throttle body was defective. Two professional mechanics were unable to diagnose the problem with the ECU. It's a pricey component, but I got lucky because the "eBay ECU/Throttle body King of the World" (that's not his real name) lives in Connecticut. He sold me a non-defective ECU and installed it for the bargain price of $500. In both cases, the wonderful group of folks on the Modern Vespa Forum came to my rescue. My current issue is two stripped screws in the water pump cover. Again MVF members have been helpful. But, I'm thinking a scooter from Motovista's lengthy list of scooter options might prove more reliable, less frustrating, and/or less costly for the OP should they decide to go the scooter-only route.
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4
UTC quote
At the risk of sounding opportunistic, I've got a sweet '04 ET4 150 that I'll sell you for $1800. Good TX registration for 12 months.

That offer is only good if I can't talk you into getting a 250-300cc scooter instead. You'll be glad you did.
@tommylittlescooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus

Molto Verboso
@tommylittlescooter avatar
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
UTC quote
I rode my P200 as sole transportation once for 6 months while my truck was down for serious suspension work. No issues except weather which was solved with upgraded riding gear. Though in FL, I've been in Italy during winter and have seen many riding in the snow.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
This is from a different thread, but I think it is illustrative of what some people feel is reliable and my thoughts about reliability...
theschuman wrote:
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
I used to ride 600 miles per week for about 5 years straight when i was a courier in London. I went through 2 GT125's and three GTS 250's Damn comfy bike if you're gonna be on it all day. Extremely reliable too.
So you rode about 30,000 miles per year for 5 years (for a total of 150,000 miles) and went through 5 scooters? That's an average of 30,000 miles per scooter.... Does that qualify as reliable? I'd agree with your assessment if you'd driven 150,000 miles on one or two or (maybe) three scooters. But five? Please tell me more... I want to believe Vespas are reliable, so I'm looking for a response like, "Well, the first one went for 110,000 miles, the second one was stolen at 10,000 miles by a gang of guys with angle grinders, the third was totaled at 10,000 miles in an accident with a Citroen, number four was also stolen at 10,000 miles by the same gang that steals every other Vespa in London, and I traded the fifth one (at 10,000 miles) for a new Telly."
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:
Did you put 20,000 miles on your Vespa in two years with just oil changes? I don't think so.
Why are you attempting to discredit my post? Do you know me?

The OP is looking for opinions/experience. I gave mine. Let it go.
UTC

Molto Verboso
LXS 150

Molto Verboso
LXS 150
UTC quote
I've got about 20K on my S150 over the last 10 years.
Other than consumables (oil, belts, tires, brake pads, batteries), it's needed the following:
- Ignition wire replaced at about 6k miles (a touch too too short from factory)
- Exhaust replaced at about 18k miles
- Clock battery replaced after about 8 years (maybe less, don't recall)
- Headlight replaced after about 8 years
- A couple of body panels (headset top piece, rear fender) replaced due to scratches or damage.

There are minor problems with the paint in a couple of spots (it's a known issue for this color) and the scuffs and wear one would expect over a decade.

Belts get swapped at 6K along with the rear tire; front tire at about 12K. Haven't yet had a belt failure. Doesn't leak oil, doesn't burn much either.

You could get by with just a 150cc scooter IF:
- You're ok with an absolute top speed of 65 MPH, if that. A 150cc Vespa is technically freeway legal. Whether it's freeway good-idea is highly debatable though, and depends on local traffic conditions, your skill and risk tolerance, and how patient you are.
- You can rent or borrow a car/truck for transporting things that you can't carry on a scooter (furniture, appliances, etc.)
- You're ok with being out in any weather your region has, or have good public transit as a backup, or can skip going out in unpleasant weather (retired or working from home).

All that said, I do almost all of my commuting by scooter or motorcycle in pretty much any (SoCal) weather. I've recently relegated my 150cc Vespa to local errands, but I used to use it for my daily 13-mile each way commute, including about 7 miles at 60-65 MPH on the freeway.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:
pokeyjoe wrote:
Good point... I drive about 10,000 miles per year. Did you put 20,000 miles on your Vespa in two years with just oil changes? I don't think so. If the OP lives in a part of Texas where he/she can conveniently get around on a scooter and doesn't drive too much, then they should go for it. But I'm not sure a Vespa would be my first choice, especially if I was paying a professional to do the maintenance. When I brought my Vespa in to the dealer for its "initial service" at 647 miles, the cost was $226.34 The next dealer service at 3300 miles was $331.72. That's $550+ for 3300 miles. Then, I started doing my own service, which has been more cost effective, but time consuming and sometimes frustrating (I'm not mechanically inclined). One issue: changing the rear tire - I couldn't get the rear frame swingarm off and had to buy a special tool to do so. The swingarm was so stuck, it actually broke the tool! Another issue: my ECU/throttle body was defective. Two professional mechanics were unable to diagnose the problem with the ECU. It's a pricey component, but I got lucky because the "eBay ECU/Throttle body King of the World" (that's not his real name) lives in Connecticut. He sold me a non-defective ECU and installed it for the bargain price of $500. In both cases, the wonderful group of folks on the Modern Vespa Forum came to my rescue. My current issue is two stripped screws in the water pump cover. Again MVF members have been helpful. But, I'm thinking a scooter from Motovista's lengthy list of scooter options might prove more reliable, less frustrating, and/or less costly for the OP should they decide to go the scooter-only route.
I've got to ask theschuman why you had your scotter services at 3300 miles? Unless you had reached 12 months since the last service there is no 3300 service interval.

I also don't mean to sound disrespectful, but the issues you had were as far as I can see from our chats and posts, largely of your own making by not using the correct tools in the first instance and then messing about with stuff in an improper way. Take the screws on the water pump housing. If the correct screw driver is used, even if the screws are overtightened, they will come out ok. But you used the wrong screw drivers and chewed up the screws giving yourself a bigger issue. The rear swing arm too was a bit of a lash up due to your inexperience at removing them and not having the right approach and tools. Sorry, none of that is meant to offend and you got the better of the jobs in the end but no professional would have those issures or even an experienced diy'er with experience of the GTS Vespa.

I've worked on many many GTS bikes and never ever had those issues. Ok yeah swing arms can be a tight fit but are easily removeable. I've had some very tight ones, but they come off easy once you know how and have the correct tool to do it. I carry the correct tool but rarely have to use it. If you remember I and others gave you some tips as to how to get the swing arm off which if I remember correctly, you seemed to follow and it came off ok, but not until you had caused yourself a lot of pain and expense.

So what I'm saying to the OP is don't let experiences like yours put him off. Your bike has been expensive to run because of various issues that could have been avoided had you been better prepared/experienced. Again, very sorry if that offends but I tell it like I see it.

Several of the GTS bikes that I've had brought in for service had covered between 78000 and 89000 miles without any issues other than normal routine servicing and consumables. I of course mean by that new belts, rollers etc etc. Even a new variator too which is regarded as a consumable. These are not expensive parts.

Now regarding Motovistas list of bikes. Those are good recommendations but they are not really any cheaper to service and indeed they all require more effort to service than the Vespa with lots of panels to be removed, which our Vespas rarely require. I know because apart from the X-Max I've serviced them all. So if you are paying someone to do the service on the Burgman for example, it's costs a lot in time and money to strip the bike down. Parts are much more expensive than on our Vespas too. And IT'S NOT A VESPA! LOL... Laughing emoticon

So please don't take offence theschuman, you're a top man and good at posting good stuff, and I do understand completely why you feel somewhat aggrieved about you own experience. Just don't want that to unnecessarily colour a newbies choice. Sure Vespas are expensive to buy new, but they sure are tough bike and can take a few knocks over the year. It's the sort of bike you can buy and still be riding it 40 years later. Try that with the plastic scooters!
⚠️ Last edited by Stromrider on UTC; edited 3 times
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:
This is from a different thread, but I think it is illustrative of what some people feel is reliable and my thoughts about reliability...
theschuman wrote:
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
I used to ride 600 miles per week for about 5 years straight when i was a courier in London. I went through 2 GT125's and three GTS 250's Damn comfy bike if you're gonna be on it all day. Extremely reliable too.
So you rode about 30,000 miles per year for 5 years (for a total of 150,000 miles) and went through 5 scooters? That's an average of 30,000 miles per scooter.... Does that qualify as reliable? I'd agree with your assessment if you'd driven 150,000 miles on one or two or (maybe) three scooters. But five? Please tell me more... I want to believe Vespas are reliable, so I'm looking for a response like, "Well, the first one went for 110,000 miles, the second one was stolen at 10,000 miles by a gang of guys with angle grinders, the third was totaled at 10,000 miles in an accident with a Citroen, number four was also stolen at 10,000 miles by the same gang that steals every other Vespa in London, and I traded the fifth one (at 10,000 miles) for a new Telly."
I think this would be because his bikes are used for business and are a tax deductable if he changes them at set stages. This would be regardless of miles covered. I've done this myself in the past with bikes I had for business. I know couriers who have gone nationwide on Vespa GTS300's that have racked up a regular 20000+ miles a year for 3 years (60000 miles) then swapped the bikes in for a new one. It pays to do that as it allows some tax deductables and you have the benefits of a new bike. The optimal time for tax here in the UK is 4 years but I guess 80000 miles starts to get near the knuckle of reliability for some riders who use their bikes all day everyday in all weathers. Although my cousing did buy one of them with 61000 miles on the clock and rode it trouble free for another 15000 miles, I serviced it for him and it went really well. No issues. It's the top selling bike here in the UK for medium size scooters. Must mean something.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
pokeyjoe wrote:
theschuman wrote:
Did you put 20,000 miles on your Vespa in two years with just oil changes? I don't think so.
Why are you attempting to discredit my post? Do you know me?

The OP is looking for opinions/experience. I gave mine. Let it go.
I don't think I know you, unless you are pretending to be from Long Beach and are actually from Connecticut. It would be really cool if you were Snoop Dogg, though. He's from Long Beach. OMG - Are you Snoop Dogg?

And I'm not trying to discredit you. I believe you rode a Primavera for two years and just changed the oil. But, if you drove more than 6200 miles in those two years, per the maintenance schedule, you'd have to do more than change the oil. At two years and 6200 miles we are talking an oil/filter change, a new belt, cleaning the air filter, and replacing both the coolant and the brake fluid. Per the service manual, that's 3+ hours of labor plus the cost of parts. If I just lost $1.2 million, I don't know how I'd feel about paying at least $300 for a 6200 mile service for my Vespa. I actually agree that a scooter can be a good only vehicle in certain situations... But let's not convince the OP to get a Vespa and think "all I need to do is change the oil" if he/she needs to drive more than a few thousand miles a year.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Given that 99% of us never had $1.8 mil to begin with, it's not such a travesty in my mind as I'm not a 1%'er either. You obviously knew how to make that much moohlah, so it's not like your moving forward w/o the means to make it in this world. Honestly it would have been far more trubling to hear you had the "big C" or some other health issue.
Vespas may not like the weather in your part of Texas and since that's never been mentioned, here it is? In my own world the questions is missing a major aspect of life which is life style! Transportation only is a narrow description of a vehicles possibilities. Like said Uber works for many people but none in my area. You must be urban or you'd never have asked, plus you must not need to haul anything except your own bod either.
I could go to the auto auction ~25 miles from my house and bid many many decent cars, most all are dealer trade-ins particular auction, and drive home a car that would much less than a Vespa. Texas has even more and bigger car auctions and dealers and CL, etc. to buy a car cheap. Why not that option?
When I first began riding not many of my dates wanted to be a pillion rider either so socially a vespa might be an issue?
Lots left out of this discussion.
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
I would take the money you would spend on a Vespa and buy a cheap car to get you through the winter. Once you're back on your feet get a better car. Then get a Vespa.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
I get by fine with no car and live in downtown Toronto. Mind you only one is a Vespa and a 300 at that. Yeah you can do it provided you aren't schlepping much. Seeing as how you are in Texas winter isn't really an issue either, at least not like here. With services such as Amazon and others getting things delivered for free is very easy now so the extra storage of a car not really needed. Yes, you can buy a beater car but if anything goes wrong the expense of fixing it may not be cheap and obviously gas will cost more.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Last nights weatherman said my son in Amarillo might get a frost- like now. I've lived and traveled in Texas, location matters a bunch on two wheels.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
theschuman wrote:
... But let's not convince the OP to get a Vespa and think "all I need to do is change the oil" if he/she needs to drive more than a few thousand miles a year.
My fault. I mentioned maintenance. My point was that the Primavera has been dead reliable. No issues whatsoever.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Last nights weatherman said my son in Amarillo might get a frost- like now. I've lived and traveled in Texas, location matters a bunch on two wheels.
Yeah but how often is that? I live in the great white north and not counting the Ural that can handle snow I missed maybe a total of 30 days riding last year. That is a conservative guess, it's probably less.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Quote:
I've got to ask theschuman why you had your scotter services at 3300 miles? Unless you had reached 12 months since the last service there is no 3300 service interval.

I also don't mean to sound disrespectful, but the issues you had were as far as I can see from our chats and posts, largely of your own making by not using the correct tools in the first instance and then messing about with stuff in an improper way. Take the screws on the water pump housing. If the correct screw driver is used, even if the screws are overtightened, they will come out ok. But you used the wrong screw drivers and chewed up the screws giving yourself a bigger issue. The rear swing arm too was a bit of a lash up due to your inexperience at removing them and not having the right approach and tools. Sorry, none of that is meant to offend and you got the better of the jobs in the end but no professional would have those issures or even an experienced diy'er with experience of the GTS Vespa.

I've worked on many many GTS bikes and never ever had those issues. Ok yeah swing arms can be a tight fit but are easily removeable. I've had some very tight ones, but they come off easy once you know how and have the correct tool to do it. I carry the correct tool but rarely have to use it. If you remember I and others gave you some tips as to how to get the swing arm off which if I remember correctly, you seemed to follow and it came off ok, but not until you had caused yourself a lot of pain and expense.

So what I'm saying to the OP is don't let experiences like yours put him off. Your bike has been expensive to run because of various issues that could have been avoided had you been better prepared/experienced. Again, very sorry if that offends but I tell it like I see it.

Several of the GTS bikes that I've had brought in for service had covered between 78000 and 89000 miles without any issues other than normal routine servicing and consumables. I of course mean by that new belts, rollers etc etc. Even a new variator too which is regarded as a consumable. These are not expensive parts.

Now regarding Motovistas list of bikes. Those are good recommendations but they are not really any cheaper to service and indeed they all require more effort to service than the Vespa with lots of panels to be removed, which our Vespas rarely require. I know because apart from the X-Max I've serviced them all. So if you are paying someone to do the service on the Burgman for example, it's costs a lot in time and money to strip the bike down. Parts are much more expensive than on our Vespas too. And IT'S NOT A VESPA! LOL... Laughing emoticon

So please don't take offence theschuman, you're a top man and good at posting good stuff, and I do understand completely why you feel somewhat aggrieved about you own experience. Just don't want that to unnecessarily colour a newbies choice. Sure Vespas are expensive to buy new, but they sure are tough bike and can take a few knocks over the year. It's the sort of bike you can buy and still be riding it 40 years later. Try that with the plastic scooters!
The service came at 3300 miles because the bike (and coolant and brake fluid) had been in service for 2 years. They decided to put in a new spark plug, too, so that drove the price up a bit.

Yes, many of these issues are of my own making... That's not disrespectful - it's true! I really have no interest in working on my Vespa and I suck at it... I don't mind paying for labor if the job is done right and honestly. But when mechanics decide they are going to charge me for a spark plug at 3300 miles, or they tell me the issue is the starter relay when it's not (and they don't bother to try a different relay because "none are in stock" even though they have 5 GTSs on the showroom floor), or I get my bike back and it's missing screws and bolts from obvious places, what choice do I have? Should I trust the guys who can't seem to get all four screws back on the battery compartment to adjust my valves? I can screw up my scooter all by myself without having to pay $100 an hour! Plus, some of my work has been successful - rollers, guides, a belt, oil/filter changes, brake fluid flushes, an ABS tone arm replacement (which I broke trying to get the rear tire off), a fuel injector replacement (which I broke trying to get the ECU/throttle body off) - all successful.

So, I do have a question about the rear suspension swing-arm... Is it typical for this component to get stuck on all scooters/motorcycles? The last time I had it off, I put 2 cents worth of antiseize and grease on it. It slides off easily now... Why didn't the people initially assembling the scooter do this in the first place?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
I hate to be the one who brings this up, one of the down sides of riding a scooter. The statistics vary depending on where you are, but it's clear that riding on two wheels is a lot riskier than driving a car. Whether it's your fault or not you're at greater risk of getting seriously hurt in even a minor accident. When you're living on a day-to-day budget, hospital bills and lost time at work can be dire; it's a little easier when you have a financial cushion. Your odds are better when you're in a car -- especially in bad weather if you have no choice but to ride a scooter.

Be safe, take care, and I hope your fortunes turn around.

JKJ
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
Since the OP said "everywhere" would be under 5 miles, if that's realistically true, you could own solely a Vespa. I'd second the comments as to what to do if you go on a date, or if you need to go further, and I don't know if weather is a factor where you live, either seasonal changes or summer thunderstorms, etc.

You mentioned your parents. Are you near enough to borrow their SUV if you should need it?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
I hate to be the one who brings this up, one of the down sides of riding a scooter. The statistics vary depending on where you are, but it's clear that riding on two wheels is a lot riskier than driving a car. Whether it's your fault or not you're at greater risk of getting seriously hurt in even a minor accident. When you're living on a day-to-day budget, hospital bills and lost time at work can be dire; it's a little easier when you have a financial cushion. Your odds are better when you're in a car -- especially in bad weather if you have no choice but to ride a scooter.

Be safe, take care, and I hope your fortunes turn around.

JKJ
This is a good point.
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
A lot of the scheduled maintenance is overkill, in my opinion. I dont change the brake fluid unless the brakes feel really crap. I dont flush the coolant because the bleed nipple is plastic and fragile and prone to failure if you use it. I never change the gearbox oil cause its a sealed system and just needs a level check.

If everywhere you need to go is 5 miles away, i would recommend an electric bike with a trailer.
Or an old Toyota.
OP
@birdlover avatar
UTC

@birdlover avatar
UTC quote
Thank you guys for all of the great replys.

Also I only plan to ride about 3k miles the absolute max per year. My father also is very good with mechanics and I am sure he can change my oil, brake fluid or anything that needs to be done.

He lives 8 minutes from my home.

The more I read about vespas the more I truly love them.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
There might not as many Vespa dealers and technicians in Texas as in the UK, and parts prices and availability in Texas and the UK might not be exactly the same.
There are three companies in the US that sell and maintain scooters and have a huge dealer network that is run by the company that makes the product. These three companies are Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki. So when you really consider using a scooter as a daily driver, these are the best ones to consider.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Rusty J wrote:
I've got about 20K on my S150 over the last 10 years.
Other than consumables (oil, belts, tires, brake pads, batteries), it's needed the following:
- Ignition wire replaced at about 6k miles (a touch too too short from factory)
- Exhaust replaced at about 18k miles
- Clock battery replaced after about 8 years (maybe less, don't recall)
- Headlight replaced after about 8 years
- A couple of body panels (headset top piece, rear fender) replaced due to scratches or damage.

All that said, I do almost all of my commuting by scooter or motorcycle in pretty much any (SoCal) weather. I've recently relegated my 150cc Vespa to local errands, but I used to use it for my daily 13-mile each way commute, including about 7 miles at 60-65 MPH on the freeway.
You put 20K miles on your scooter, using it as a commuter. Over ten years. How many miles a year does that work out to?
If your S150 was your only means of transportation during those ten years, how many times would you have been late to work, missed work, etc? How many miles would you have put on it?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
BirdLover wrote:
Thank you guys for all of the great replys.

Also I only plan to ride about 3k miles the absolute max per year. My father also is very good with mechanics and I am sure he can change my oil, brake fluid or anything that needs to be done.

He lives 8 minutes from my home.

The more I read about vespas the more I truly love them.
And if you look back, getting a Vespa for your only transportation probably isn't the worst decision you've ever made, right? Given that nothing else has changed in your life in the past few years, your transportation needs probably won't change either.
In other words, don't expect the future to be exactly like right now.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0188s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0104s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]