UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
A lot of the scheduled maintenance is overkill, in my opinion. I dont change the brake fluid unless the brakes feel really crap. I dont flush the coolant because the bleed nipple is plastic and fragile and prone to failure if you use it. I never change the gearbox oil cause its a sealed system and just needs a level check.

If everywhere you need to go is 5 miles away, i would recommend an electric bike with a trailer.
Or an old Toyota.
In fact the bleed nipple is fine. They don't break unless you overtighten them. They only need be finger tight plus 1/16th of a turn. That's all. And the coolant does need changing every two years to stop your engine suffering damage from the way the coolant become acidic. It eats your engine from the inside and shortens you water pump seal life.

Transmission oil needs changing every two year. It's NOT a sealed unit. If you want your bearings to last as long as they are designed to last, I'd do that straight away and the do the coolant too. It's easy.

PM me if you want more help or information.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Now regarding Motovistas list of bikes. Those are good recommendations but they are not really any cheaper to service and indeed they all require more effort to service than the Vespa with lots of panels to be removed, which our Vespas rarely require. I know because apart from the X-Max I've serviced them all. So if you are paying someone to do the service on the Burgman for example, it's costs a lot in time and money to strip the bike down. Parts are much more expensive than on our Vespas too. And IT'S NOT A VESPA! LOL... Laughing emoticon
There might not as many Vespa dealers and technicians in Texas as in the UK, and parts prices and availability in Texas and the UK might not be exactly the same.
There are three companies in the US that sell and maintain scooters and have a huge dealer network that is run by the company that makes the product. These three companies are Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki. So when you really consider using a scooter as a daily driver, these are the best ones to consider.
Yes, I haven't researched pricing in the US compared to the UK. But I doubt Vespa parts are as expensive as Suzuki or the other Jap bikes. Many prices here in the UK are 3-5 times higher for the Japanese stuff than for Vespa parts. Of course I know an airfilter for my Burgman is bigger and costs £37 and the air filter for my Vespa is only £5, but you get my drift. It's the same for servicing. To strip the Burgman takes around 45mins which has to be paid for, before you can even start the service. On the Vespa's the normal servicing doesn't require any removal of substantial panels or in most cases any. But I do take you point.
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]
UTC quote
BirdLover wrote:
Thank you guys for all of the great replys.

Also I only plan to ride about 3k miles the absolute max per year. My father also is very good with mechanics and I am sure he can change my oil, brake fluid or anything that needs to be done.

He lives 8 minutes from my home.

The more I read about vespas the more I truly love them.
I hope you love your Vespa. I do love mine - even if I complain about it. It's beautiful and fast and it handles well. Mine has ABS and ASR, so I feel like it is safer than some other options. It goes 60+ miles per gallon of gas. Insurance is cheap ($230/year), compared to car insurance in CT. And Vespa's color options are so cool. Please share pictures if/when you get it.

But you might want to have a bicycle on the ready just in case it takes your dad two weeks to remove the rear suspension swingarm so that he can put on a rear tire that can't be mounted from where you purchased it because the mounting machine doesn't fit rims that small. At 3,000 miles per year, that could happen in about 2 years.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
[quote="theschuman"]
Quote:
So, I do have a question about the rear suspension swing-arm... Is it typical for this component to get stuck on all scooters/motorcycles? The last time I had it off, I put 2 cents worth of antiseize and grease on it. It slides off easily now... Why didn't the people initially assembling the scooter do this in the first place?
Mostly they don't get stuck, but it can happen that you get one that is a bit stiff to remove if it's a few years before it's dismantled. For example on a low miles bike. There is a special tool available from Vespa, or you can make one. This makes it a doddle to remove. Part of the issue that makes it stick is heat from the exhaust system and engine area generally. It's hot down there! It's much the same for all makes of scooter using this system of swing arm/exhaust carrier.

I rarely have to use the special removal tool. I use a proper heat gun which gets it off straight away even if it's on really tight.

By the way theschuman, I think you have done well considering you are not used to doing these heavier jobs on your bike. You didn't get defeated and did take note of what folks were saying. You have not doubt learned a considerable amount and could do it again much more easily.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
Yes, I haven't researched pricing in the US compared to the UK. But I doubt Vespa parts are as expensive as Suzuki or the other Jap bikes. Many prices here in the UK are 3-5 times higher for the Japanese stuff than for Vespa parts. Of course I know an airfilter for my Burgman is bigger and costs £37 and the air filter for my Vespa is only £5, but you get my drift. It's the same for servicing. To strip the Burgman takes around 45mins which has to be paid for, before you can even start the service. On the Vespa's the normal servicing doesn't require any removal of substantial panels or in most cases any. But I do take you point.
In the US, there are a lot of companies that sell OEM parts for Japanese bikes on line, so they are fairly cheap and so much more available. The dealer networks for anything except the big four, BMW, maybe Triumph, Ducati and KTM, is fairly laughable. Most of the secondary brands, like PGO, SYM, Adly, and all the top level Chinese brands, are distributed by small companies that buy a few containers at a time, and don't stock a lot of parts. Kymco does run their own show, but they are the exception, and they're not exactly known for keeping parts in stock. And my experience has been that you have the easiest time getting parts and service when the company that makes the bike is the same one that is bringing it in and distributing it in the US.
@max6201 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200

Banned
@max6201 avatar
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
UTC quote
Yes.
UTC

Molto Verboso
LXS 150

Molto Verboso
LXS 150
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
You put 20K miles on your scooter, using it as a commuter. Over ten years. How many miles a year does that work out to?
If your S150 was your only means of transportation during those ten years, how many times would you have been late to work, missed work, etc? How many miles would you have put on it?
Across all of my motorbikes, I ride about 8,000 miles a year. That part of my post was more about "is a two-wheeled vehicle sufficient for commuting?" than about the S150 itself.

The bike never left me stranded that I can recall*, and I'll ride in pretty much any weather I've seen here in L.A. so that's a non-issue. That said, the instrument lens seals leak a little so I'd have to have that fixed that if I planned to ride it in the rain on purpose.

Under the hypothetical that it was my only bike and holding everything else constant, it'd probably have almost 50,000 miles by now. Then again, if it were my only bike and I was doing everything the same as I do now**, I'd probably have done an overbore/upgear mod so I'd expect I would have had to rebuild or replace the powertrain by now due to increased wear.

*the coil wire that came loose got me home before finally coming undone, and it turned out to be a simple fix. Worn batteries gave enough advance warning for replacement. Exhaust was a nuisance, not a mobility kill. I did have the luxury of a spare bike at the time, but even without that I probably could have managed.

** note that "everything I do now" relies on having a 650cc maxi-scoot in addition to the 150cc Vespa.
⚠️ Last edited by Rusty J on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Yes, I haven't researched pricing in the US compared to the UK. But I
In the US, there are a lot of companies that sell OEM parts for Japanese bikes on line, so they are fairly cheap and so much more available. The dealer networks for anything except the big four, BMW, maybe Triumph, Ducati and KTM, is fairly laughable. Most of the secondary brands, like PGO, SYM, Adly, and all the top level Chinese brands, are distributed by small companies that buy a few containers at a time, and don't stock a lot of parts. Kymco does run their own show, but they are the exception, and they're not exactly known for keeping parts in stock. And my experience has been that you have the easiest time getting parts and service when the company that makes the bike is the same one that is bringing it in and distributing it in the US.
Yes that's my experience as well regarding bike importers and distribution of genuine parts. Much better if it's handled by the manufacturer or it's main agent. We too can get cheap non genuine parts. I think in the US it's the shear size of your country with uneven density populous that holds back it's agents and distribution of parts, and bikes too. In some parts of the States no one has even heard of Vespa as a means of transport. Yeah, I know. Hard to believe, and some folks didn't even know that the Uk was made up of four different countries! Lol.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Re: Vespa as only transportation?
BirdLover wrote:
I have a long story but I will make it as short as possible.

In January of 2018 I had 1.2 Million USD. Right now bankrupt with nothing.

I can not even afford a car so I started looking at Vespas which cost much less than a car.

I plan to get a Vespa Primavera 150. Does anyone use a vespa as their only means of transportation?
I'd say first thing is learn to manage your money better. You must be pretty young if you're still looking to your dad do your maintenance for you. And you've already figured out money can be easy come , easy go. But 1.2 mil for a young guy ain't bad, til it's all gone as you now know too well.
BirdLover wrote:
The more I read about vespas the more I truly love them.
This makes it sound like your new Vespa would be an indulgence. If you can pay cash, go for it & good luck.
And stop reading here, please.

Unless you are buying used, which might not be a good idea for a new non mechanic, I think you ought to put your dough into a decent hi end older used car. Cheaper and probably more flexible for passengers as you chase your next million or fetching your current girl. You can't haul clients or prospects or new honeys around on a scooter well. New Vespas ain't for bankrupts or poor folks, only old shifties are that cheap to buy or fix. ²¢
@bobbyoakes avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS300 SuperTech (iScoot); Vespa GTS250ie

@bobbyoakes avatar
Vespa GTS300 SuperTech (iScoot); Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
Lots of Opinions Here... here's my reality
If you really are only going a couple of miles, then the 150 is enough. But, there comes a point where it limits you.

I started using a Vespa as my daily commute about 7 years ago. Started with a LX150, and last year I bought an older, but lower mileage GTS250. The 250 gives me a lot more flexibility. I arrive in style, on an iconic machine. I park (with a pack of other scooters) for free downtown. I fill up with premium gas for about $6, and my range is about 110 miles.

I assume that your recent reversal of fortunes is temporary. Regardless of brand or size, you'll need a little gear to get by. A good helmet, riding jacket and gloves are all prudent investments. Also, I have a "scooter kilt". They're about $90, and it is like a lap blanket that is waterproof. With the kilt and a waterproof poncho, I'm covered in wet weather, although I don't recommend novices ride in the rain. Consider swapping the briefcase for a Messenger style bag, and you won't have to worry about a rack. Everybody where I work uses a backpack now, so mischief managed.

Maintenance is manageable, but scooter tires don't last as long as car tires, so plan for a little time in the shop from time to time. Oil changes, variation belts, etc., cannot be neglected, but

In the spirit of full disclosure, we have a car too. It's my wife's daily ride, and we take it on long trips. There are times when we are going to events where parking is either very expensive or just a hassle, I'll make two scooter trips to get the wife and daughter to the event.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
Hard to believe, and some folks didn't even know that the Uk was made up of four different countries! Lol.
Now I'm stumped. England, Scotland, Wales, and what's the fourth?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Hard to believe, and some folks didn't even know that the Uk was made up of four different countries! Lol.
They're trying to figure that out right now.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I googled the question, and the answer is a math equation that doesn't seem to make sense.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I googled the question, and the answer is a math equation that doesn't seem to make sense.
42?
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
Errrr....I think it's....errr, not sure but it could be Utopia or some such place!
UTC

Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus

Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
London.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Do you complain about having four regions? And we who have twenty regions, of which fifteen have ordinary statute and five special status.
The climatic zones for scooter riding are three: north (up to the borders with Lazio, Umbria and Marche), center (up to the borders with Campania and Puglia) and south. The islands are a different matter, Sicily is Sicily ... it is not in the north nor in the center and in the south and Sardinia is as if it were a separate nation, complex to understand and to explain, but excellent for holidays on a Vespa especially in summer, it reminds us of Arizona.
By the way, a curiosity ... in the province of Latina there is a place called Sacramento. http://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/lazio/latina_sabaudia_sacramento.html
@boraxman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
@boraxman avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
I daily drive mine to work about 20mi. round trip..just be prepared to keep up on maintenance, which in my experience can consist of some down time.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
42?
3+(32-26)=3+1
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
They're trying to figure that out right now.
I'm assuming Northern Ireland. Though some might consider London Tobe totally separate
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Indeed it is CD. It's a lovely place too!
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
Indeed it is CD. It's a lovely place too!
We've driven through it up from the west coast of Ireland to the Devils Causeway and down through Belfast to Dublin

Well go back again one day.
@alloo avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 Suzuki Burgman 400

Hooked
@alloo avatar
2022 Suzuki Burgman 400
UTC quote
I haven't owned a car since 2005 I've been a scooterist. You can do it. I have been a scooter only person in TX, NM, OR, HI and now Colorado. The key is good riding gear and good back up. If the weather gets too bad, I rent a car, lyft or uber, ride public transportation or ride an ebike.

I commute to work 12 miles one way, and have switched to ebiking this year. I used my scooter as a back up or when I'm pressed for time. You can do it! Make sure you get good riding gear for four seasons of riding.

Good luck to you! I wouldn't get a Vespa/Piaggio just get a used Japanese Scooter and you will be happy.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
alloo wrote:
I haven't owned a car since 2005 I've been a scooterist. You can do it. I have been a scooter only person in TX, NM, OR, HI and now Colorado. The key is good riding gear and good back up. If the weather gets too bad, I rent a car, lyft or uber, ride public transportation or ride an ebike.

I commute to work 12 miles one way, and have switched to ebiking this year. I used my scooter as a back up or when I'm pressed for time. You can do it! Make sure you get good riding gear for four seasons of riding.

Good luck to you! I wouldn't get a Vespa/Piaggio just get a used Japanese Scooter and you will be happy.
...how old are you...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0302s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0130s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]