OP
@vesomerpa avatar
UTC

Member
GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 26
Location: Springfield Mo
 
Member
@vesomerpa avatar
GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 26
Location: Springfield Mo
UTC quote
Yep, 2000 miles & my belt snapped, thanks for the GREAT DEAL on the Dayco belt guys!!! Thank God I was on a country road with no traffic.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
 
Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3254
Location: Orange Park Florida
UTC quote
Since you live everywhere, you're never far from home Razz emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
Popcorn emoticon
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
Just FYI. In my 10+ years on MV, it seems the consensus is to stay with the OEM belts and change every 8K-9K miles as recommended by Piaggio and you'll be fine. Seems like many aftermarket belts have more premature failures than the OEM belts. I'm not advocating one way or another; Im just telling you what I've observed over time.

Just sayin'. Miguel
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8291
Location: Latina (Italy)
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8291
Location: Latina (Italy)
UTC quote
In another topic i pointed out that the original Piaggio belt is slightly different from the commercial ones, even with the measurements, and this happens with other belts of other scooters models; why?
Because many are declared as "compatible" but compatible does not mean identical.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
but look at the money you saved over the OEM belt.

not all things are created equal or compatible.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9026
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9026
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
Re: GT 200 Dayco Belt Hell!!!
Vesomerpa wrote:
Yep, 2000 miles & my belt snapped, thanks for the GREAT DEAL on the Dayco belt guys!!! Thank God I was on a country road with no traffic.
It wasn't the belt. Dayco makes OEM belts for Piaggio and a lot of other companies. The main reason we don't sell Dayco belts is because Piaggio belts are about as cheap. For a belt to fail that soon, either something was installed wrong, or something else broke. I think that when they open it up, you will find that one of the nuts wasn't tightened down, or they left off one of the washers in the variator assembly. It would be a good idea for you to be there when they do open it up.

From another thread
Vesomerpa wrote:
... Everything is cleaned, I'm reassembling & I have 1 washer. That's all there was & it was against the housing. Are there supposed to be more than one & whats the proper location. .
If I had to guess....
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
UTC quote
Quote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:30 pm flag edit quote
so I did try this Dayton gt200 belt in my 300. I have no data on whether the shorter belt works better. the Dayton belt is junk. it slips bad. don't buy one. stick with stock piaggio belts. I had to reinstall the 6k mile stock belt to get rid of the slip. 45 wasted
if you want to pay for shipping you can get the one I tried.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9026
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9026
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Just FYI. In my 10+ years on MV, it seems the consensus is to stay with the OEM belts and change every 8K-9K miles as recommended by Piaggio and you'll be fine. Seems like many aftermarket belts have more premature failures than the OEM belts. I'm not advocating one way or another; Im just telling you what I've observed over time.

Just sayin'. Miguel
Unfortunately, MV gives you a slightly myopic view of scooter servicing. In the US, where most of us are, most aftermarket belts are installed by owners, often for the first time. And many of them are installed with sliders. The owner often then takes the scooter to the dealer, who puts on an OEM belt, and all is good.
In Italy, and most of Europe, there are franchise and independent shops everywhere, and they install a lot of aftermarket belts and other parts. These are people who have worked on scooters for decades, and they have no issues with OEM or quality aftermarket belts. Out of more than a million belts Dayco sells every year for scooters, probably less than 100 of them end up on big scooters in the US. And 90% or more of them were not put on by professionals.
We import exactly one Dayco belt model for one customer. It fits an older Derbi two stroke liquid cooled 50cc scooter. The person who buys them from us actively races his scooter, and won't use anything else. I don't think he uses them because he thinks they will break sooner than other belts.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7587
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7587
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Miguel wrote:
Just FYI. In my 10+ years on MV, it seems the consensus is to stay with the OEM belts and change every 8K-9K miles as recommended by Piaggio and you'll be fine. Seems like many aftermarket belts have more premature failures than the OEM belts. I'm not advocating one way or another; Im just telling you what I've observed over time.

Just sayin'. Miguel
Unfortunately, MV gives you a slightly myopic view of scooter servicing. In the US, where most of us are, most aftermarket belts are installed by owners, often for the first time. And many of them are installed with sliders. The owner often then takes the scooter to the dealer, who puts on an OEM belt, and all is good.
In Italy, and most of Europe, there are franchise and independent shops everywhere, and they install a lot of aftermarket belts and other parts. These are people who have worked on scooters for decades, and they have no issues with OEM or quality aftermarket belts. Out of more than a million belts Dayco sells every year for scooters, probably less than 100 of them end up on big scooters in the US. And 90% or more of them were not put on by professionals.
We import exactly one Dayco belt model for one customer. It fits an older Derbi two stroke liquid cooled 50cc scooter. The person who buys them from us actively races his scooter, and won't use anything else. I don't think he uses them because he thinks they will break sooner than other belts.

How did you know I am myopic?
Wha? emoticon
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9026
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9026
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
It's like being chased by Mr. Magoo....
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
 
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
UTC quote
Agree with Motovista, Dayco belts are fine and OEM on lots of bikes including Suzuki.

Usual causes of early breakages is bad fitting procedure or fitting the belt the wrong way round, leaving off washers or not replacing pulleys/shives when they are worn (which accelerates the wear on the belt exponentially). With Piaggio engines I always fit OEM because the dimensions are better and they last longer because of it.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
UTC quote
dayco may sell great belts for other scooters. but that doesnt mean the belt they sell for gt200 is great as well. improperly installed is certainly possible. but I know without shadow of doubt the gt200 belt sold here in usa sucks. it slips because it doesnt have no where near the rubber surface area touching the pulleys as the piaggio belt. I also think if I had ignored the slipping and continued to use it would have led to the belt overheating and shredding itself on the highway.

but carry on with your member shredding ways. great fun for you guys I guess. cant wait to see the next post where you are always right and everyone else always wrong..
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1272
Location: Bermuda
 
Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1272
Location: Bermuda
UTC quote
I found MV's post to be informative, reasoned, and supported.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
UTC quote
I would think the purpose of a thread like this would be for future GTS owners to decide whether or not they should buy the dayco $45 dollar belt or the piaggio $90 dollar belt.

there are two actual users of the belt in here that are sorry they tried the belt.

there are others in here that havent actually used the belt. but are actually sure its user error and there cant be anything wrong with the belt.

as a result I see others may still buy the dayco belt for the gt200. because they think they can triumph with installing correctly.

do you really find this thread informative?
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
 
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
UTC quote
Hi Jerry, I'm actually mostly agreeing with you regarding the dimensions of the belt. But the Dayco belt for the GT200 is mostly ok I found. It measures almost identically to the OEM belt. But for some other bikes I've found them to be one or two mm out sometimes. Which by the way is still ok and doesn't cause any issues. It just means it will need replacing bang on time. Don't go over the recommended replacement time.

So I see you haven't actually had much experience yourself with Dayco belts then Jerry! If you had, you'd know they were ok. Amongst other makes of belts, I've fitted dozens and dozens of them to various makes of scooter without issues. That's why many major manufacturers fit them as OEM. Although as I say in my earlier post above, I use Piaggio OEM for Vespa as I do find they last a bit longer due to the reason mentioned above.

And Jerry, why are you so acidic all the time?
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
UTC quote
because you are supplying general knowledge to the thread and I am supplying very specific knowledge. and you dont see the difference because you know soooo much about scooters.

readers should be advised specific knowledge is more important concerning the dayco gt200 belt. if you live in the usa dont buy the belt!
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
 
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3766
Location: East Anglia, UK
UTC quote
But Jerry, you need to re-read my post. I've fitted the Dayco belt to the GT200. I've also added further information about the Dayco belt which you seem not to know. So my knowledge is just as specific as yours but probably more so as I did this for a living for years.

Your bad experience seems to indicate to me that you either had the wrong belt (quite likely from your description of the belt you had), or a faulty belt which is not very likely. No new Dayco belt specified for the GT200 will slip if fitted correctly with the shives in good condition. So something was definitely amiss I'll grant you that. But unlikely it's the belt.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 973
Location: tampa
UTC quote
so I will give you the benefit of doubt what you say is true. I think maybe usa is getting different belts than UK.
but then I go to my ebay to find the purchase. then I find the belt came from UK.

your opinions remain the same throughout the thread. the dayco belt for the gt200 while not as good as piaggio is an okay belt to put on a gts.

my opinion remain. its a VERY bad idea. I am still using the used belt that I put back on because the stupid dayco belt slipped. I didnt get my 45 back. it was a waste of time and money. I am just trying to help others suffer a similar fate.

maybe we should ask the OP if he searched and found people on modern vespa using the dayco belt? cause it sure sounds to me he made modern vespa part of his complaint.


https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vespa-GT-200-L-Granturismo-2003-2004-Dayco-Drive-Belt-22-0-x-826/301776090523?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0146s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0038s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]