OP
UTC

Lurker
PX125e

Lurker
PX125e
UTC quote
Hiya Guys,

I'm looking to do my test in the coming year, but without the funds at the moment it's pretty difficult. I commute up to London once a week, with a round trip of 200 miles. I get up there on a Tuesday and leave to get back home the next day. Just seen a 2008 GTS125 for sale - I'd get it serviced, etc., - how realistic would it be to ride this up once a week? I know it's not perfect, but just a thought. Thanks.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Hi MonkeyBoy, and Welcome to the site.

It's completely realistic to do that. The GTS125 is a great bike. Are you sure it's the GTS with fuel injection or is it the GT125 with a carb? either is ok and will do the job.

The only thing you might want to do is reduce the motorway miles that you cover. Maybe ride the country 'A' & 'B' roads a bit more for a more relaxed ride and better fuel economy. Your bike will be fairly stable and will keep up with most of the left lane traffic on motorways but you'll be pushing the bike a bit at times to stay ahead of fast moving trucks, which in the main are courteous and stick around 60mph. That's not far off your bikes top speed! But if you need to that's ok as long as you don't go wide open throttle all the time. That's not so good for the motor.

They generally don't suffer from any issues. Just make sure you buy a good one that's been serviced correctly with a dealer history if possible. Or take someone with you that's familiar with the Vespa range of GTS bikes so they can help you vet the bike. Check underneath for rust just in case someone has neglected any stone chips under there. If there is rust to any degree other than surface rust then walk away. There are loads of other bikes out there without any rust. Good luck and post back with how you get on with this.

May I ask where abouts in England you are? I'm in North Essex. If I'm anywhere near you it may be possible to help you look at one if you need that sort of help. I'm an ex-tech.
OP
UTC

Lurker
PX125e

Lurker
PX125e
UTC quote
Hey,

Thanks for the positive response. I thought it would be okay - I mean you can but the GTS125 tourer can't you? I have an older vespa - a Rally 200 (with PX 200 engine in, but registered as a 125) which is in storage at the mo due to me getting a job in London a number of years ago. But I would ride that along A roads all the time, and mostly tucked behind a lorry (not too closely, mind). I live down in Portsmouth, and I'd be driving up to north London, Hendon in particular, so could even get up to London missing most of the A3 - like you say, just take my time and enjoy the ride.

I have a friend who's got a GTS300 - gonna ask him to come along with me - so he can have a look too. Be great to get back in the saddle to be honest: I drove my other 125 all year round, through the rain and the cold, and loved it.

I have been told, however, that a foam cushion might be useful for the seat on long runs..

And then my test...

Thanks again for the advice.
@gedmunds avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS Super

Addicted
@gedmunds avatar
Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
A 125 will do it fine, though not much fun on the faster rds. Why not go through your test and go straight to something a bit bigger?

Do you have somewhere secure to park it up at night ?

Unfortunately, any bike parked on the street in London long enough is going to draw the wrong kind of attention.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
Welcome.

That looks a pretty tough commute on a 125.

Out of interest which route were you thinking of taking through London?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0087s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]