OP
@birdlover avatar
UTC

@birdlover avatar
UTC quote
I read some horror stories online of people getting their Vespas or just any motorcycle knocked down. Also even vandalized.

This would be terrible Crying or Very sad emoticon
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Almost everyone has. Don't you have people where you live who go around pushing motorcycles over?
The only place it's not common is New York City, because the people who usually push over motorcycles are down in the sewers hunting alligators.
The best solution to the common problem of people pushing over Vespas and Motorcycles is blind alligators.
If you decide to get one, we have a place that's sort of like one of those You Pick orchards where you get to go and pay $20 to pick four apples, only with alligators. It's called Florida. If you're interested, I can put you in touch with the owners, One Arm Bob and three finger Jack.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
In 1987, with a Vespa PX 125, I had a frontal accident against a Fiat Iveco TIR ... very large.
The scooter folded like a banana and i was thrown over and ended up in a canal (fortunately empty) where after some research i was found half an hour later ... I took a year in the hospital. Crying or Very sad emoticon
This physical consequence is certainly more terrible than the destroyed vehicle.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
Yeh, I watched it happen from inside a restaurant I was in. By the time I ran out the mofo sped off and I didn't get the plate.
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200

Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
UTC quote
My old ET was knocked over while parked. Someone had picked it back up and put it on the stand by the time i cane back, but sadly could do nothing about the dents. Suspect a car driver parking and not seeing my scoot at the end of the motorcycle parking bay.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
UTC quote
Rather than being knocked over, I think the most common spill amongst Vespa owners is when the scoot falls on it's side when the rider is off the bike and holding it upright. Most new owners don't realise the weight (especially with the heavier GTS's) and over-balance when they are getting on or off the scoot or whilst maneuvering it.

This happened to me in the early days of owning my GTS. Moving it around in the garage and suddenly the weight caught me by surprise and over she went. Luckily I had the chrome side rails fitted which stopped the body from getting dented or scratched.

Another way they can go over is when a rain cover is used on a parked scooter on a windy day, the cover acting as a sail. I have read plenty of tales on this site of this happening to owners.
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200

Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
UTC quote
rain covers
You've reminded me of such an event that also happened to me.
A wonderful CBR400 suffered such a fate.
Being a grey import, the replacement plastics were not available in the UK and took months to arrive in the post from Japan.
I loved that bike. It took me to the far north of Scotland on holiday. Happy days.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Vandalism in downtown Toronto isn't really a problem, at least not if you are parked outside during the day. Too many people and to many cops around to get away with it. That being said I have had 2 bad drivers knock over my legally parked bikes. 4 of us got knocked over last year and I had a $2,000 insurance claim as a result. Honestly the biggest PITA with a Vespa is repairs can be expensive if there is body damage. Crash bars I know have saved my Vespa from damage a few times.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I had Rocket knocked over while parked at Intuition Ale Works a couple of years ago.

After a nice gathering with my entire family, parents, brothers and all of their families, I came back to my scooter to find a note on the seat.

The writer of the note stated that he had hit and knocked over the scooter.

He apologized, stating that he would pay for any repairs, and provided a phone number to call.

I knew who he was as he managed a nice restaurant in town that has a small snack stand inside Intuition.

I called him and told him that I would make the repairs myself and deal with him when I was done.

Rocket is old and already scraped and scratched, so it wasn't like a pristine machine was getting damaged for the first time.

I straightened the rear as it got crunched a little and repainted the side plastic panels. It didn't cost much and was easy.

So I called him and told him that I had made the repairs and was good. He owed me nothing.

A few days later, I received a letter in the mail with a $100.00 gift certificate from his restaurant.

Sometimes, things work out just fine.

Bill
@max6201 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200

Banned
@max6201 avatar
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
UTC quote
MV had the best answer:-)

I had my GrandTurismo 250 knocked over when I first got it. I did not see it in real time but I was able to see CC footage. It really broke my heart:-$
@paulrf avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Piaggio Medley 150

Enthusiast
@paulrf avatar
2018 Piaggio Medley 150
UTC quote
The most annoying thing that I see and this has happened to me is that when parking at shopping centres and there is no dedicated motorcycle parking so scooter or bike owners must use regular car park spaces and there has been heaps of times when someone just pushes their empty trolley into the that spot and it usually ends up hitting the scooter/bike either because they can't be bothered taking their trolley back to a bay or they just pissed off that a car park space is being used.
@big_daddy_snakeoiler avatar
UTC

Hooked
300 GTS, Stella 4T

Hooked
@big_daddy_snakeoiler avatar
300 GTS, Stella 4T
UTC quote
It's an annual occurrence for me.
Karma's a bitch.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I thought you meant people deliberately knocking your bike over and then vandalizing it. That isn't really a thing. As far as them getting bumped over by cars, yep, happens all the time. And in Texas, you can't leave to follow the person who did it, because then you've left the scene of an accident and the police are not likely to want to make a report.
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Some nasty kids pulled the plastic horn cover off my GTS in an attempt to steel it. And i had the key barrel ripped out of another vespa i had.
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
My LX and GTV were both knocked over. The GTV in a Subway parking lot. When she turned to back out it was caught under the front fender. $ 2,300 in damage.

The LX was knocked over in the library parking lot. She backed into it. Broke the left brake lever and some paint scratches.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Dutch wrote:
My LX and GTV were both knocked over. The GTV in a Subway parking lot. When she turned to back out it was caught under the front fender. $ 2,300 in damage.

The LX was knocked over in the library parking lot. She backed into it. Broke the left brake lever and some paint scratches.
Same woman? Now that would be one strange coincidence In my case both times is was a guy. I only have one bike that hasn't been knocked over and doing that would take one hell of a collision.
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
No different ladies.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Hasn't Happened Yet...
...but that doesn't mean I don't think about it roughly every other time I park the bike somewhere.

Here in AP, we have designated PTW parking in the downtown area, so our presence is recognized (except for the very occasional dick who decides to park his 7-series Bimmer in a two-bike spot; I always flag down a cop to handle that situation if I see it). Most of my parking is done at the train station at Long Branch, where I've left the bike as late as 2AM, which initially had me worried about either theft or vandalism. Neither has happened to far, in part because the lot is regularly patrolled, but also in part because I make it a point to park the thing at the very front of the space (y'all should know this by now) so no one has the excuse of "I thought that space was empty" to throw at you.
Not exactly alone.
Not exactly alone.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I have had my cars scratched and bruised so many times at parking slots / garages during the years, that I pay extra attention to how I park my bike. Often boardering illegal parking to secure some space around the bike.... still only one parking ticket for a bike, ever.

I typically try to get the bike "separated" from the level/area cars move. Be it curb stones, light pole or whatever, something to create the first tiny physical barrier before it's my bike that gets hit.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
I typically try to get the bike "separated" from the level/area cars move. Be it curb stones, light pole or whatever, something to create the first tiny physical barrier before it's my bike that gets hit.
That's good advice if you can find a suitable spot to do it. Here in Cyprus, the rules of parking motor vehicles is pretty much unregulated. Finding cars parked totally on the pedestrian pavement is not uncommon.

I recently parked close by the entrance at a local supermarket in an area not meant for motor vehicles so that I could keep an eye on my scooter whilst inside the store. Moments later a woman came and parked at right angles to my bike. She parked so close to my front wheel that I could not rock it forward off the centre stand without hitting her car, damaging my front mudguard in the process or damaging her front wing. Not being in any rush, I sat myself down on a wall and waited for her to return. I could not admonish her as we were both parked in a non-allocated parking area.
@boraxman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
@boraxman avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
I backed into mine with the car and knocked it over...some scratches in the paint are a constant reminder.
@soul_surfer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace

Molto Verboso
@soul_surfer avatar
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Vandalism in downtown Toronto isn't really a problem, at least not if you are parked outside during the day. Too many people and to many cops around to get away with it. That being said I have had 2 bad drivers knock over my legally parked bikes. 4 of us got knocked over last year and I had a $2,000 insurance claim as a result. Honestly the biggest PITA with a Vespa is repairs can be expensive if there is body damage. Crash bars I know have saved my Vespa from damage a few times.
100% spot on - "What he said"....
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
They recently changed the law in Ohio on scooter parking.

The other new law, also sponsored by Seitz, repeals a previous rule that limits sidewalk parking to bicycles and allows small motorbikes to park there, too, starting at the end of May. Owners of scooters will have to walk their bikes on the sidewalk and will be prohibited from blocking pedestrian traffic.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Dutch wrote:
They recently changed the law in Ohio on scooter parking.

The other new law, also sponsored by Seitz, repeals a previous rule that limits sidewalk parking to bicycles and allows small motorbikes to park there, too, starting at the end of May. Owners of scooters will have to walk their bikes on the sidewalk and will be prohibited from blocking pedestrian traffic.
What do they consider small motorbikes? Here only mopeds are allowed meaning the bike must have peddles. A Vespa honestly has about the same footprint as some Cafe racers though maybe a bit shorter though it is wider.
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
From what I can gather Vespas ie. scooters are OK
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
UTC quote
Please don't feed the troll.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Dutch wrote:
From what I can gather Vespas ie. scooters are OK
That would be great. Though if left up to discretion of the parking enforcement officer it can be a pain. We have one spot by the office bikes park in all the time. It sort of looks like a spot but in some ways doesn't just because of the shape. Our regular parking enforcement guy never tickets anyone but there have been a few times he's been off and riders have been ticketed. I talked to one guy that got a ticket there and he successfully contested it. Still a bit of a hassle. BTW getting to be friendly with the parking officer where you park all the time is a great idea. For one it's just nice to meet new people but it can also help you catch up on what the city is doing. I don't know his name off the top of my head but he's from Estonia and told me has some interesting stories.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Actually after reading a few of the OPs posts I have a theory about who it is. Meh.. as far as feeding the troll I see your point but we've had a few good discussions around these so no real harm done I guess. But yeah I do see your point.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
Actually after reading a few of the OPs posts I have a theory about who it is. Meh.. as far as feeding the troll I see your point but we've had a few good discussions around these so no real harm done I guess. But yeah I do see your point.
I thought about this too: as by definition, trolling is an act of starting quarrels or upsetting people by posting inflammatory or off-topic messages in an online community.

So if you troll by posting topics that generate interesting views and discussion... either you are a very lousy troll or is that even trolling anymore? Headache emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Actually after reading a few of the OPs posts I have a theory about who it is.
I was going to spend some time investigating that, but then I found some belly button lint that was more interesting.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
I was going to spend some time investigating that, but then I found some belly button lint that was more interesting.
Was it shaped like anything interesting? You know there is a market for that.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Interesting avatar image. Most people at least ask before they "grab" an image.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
znomit wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Huh? Now you've got me curious. What image are you referring to? I think I'm missing something here. Might be because I'm posting from my iPhone.

FWIW I don't think this is trolling but rather smurfing. But as people have said big deal. This is the inter web after all and if ads to the conversation so be it. As long as there are whales in the water and birds in the air the message boards will stay pretty much the same.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
znomit wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Huh? Now you've got me curious. What image are you referring to? I think I'm missing something here. Might be because I'm posting from my iPhone.

FWIW I don't think this is trolling but rather smurfing. But as people have said big deal. This is the inter web after all and if ads to the conversation so be it. As long as there are whales in the water and birds in the air the message boards will stay pretty much the same.

https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2364257#2364257
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
znomit wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

So, you don't mind wasting your time answering and contributing to a thread while the OP sits back and laughs behind your back?

Besides the avatar, doesn't anyone think its strange that a brand newbie starts three threads, and two of them the topic he chooses are "Vespa knocked over?" And "can you take a date on a Vespa?" Strange choices for a supposed newbie to scootering, no?
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Vintage1 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:
znomit wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

So, you don't mind wasting your time answering and contributing to a thread while the OP sits back and laughs behind your back?

Besides the avatar, doesn't anyone think its strange that a brand newbie starts three threads, and two of them the topic he chooses are "Vespa knocked over?" And "can you take a date on a Vespa?" Strange choices for a supposed newbie to scootering, no?
Yeah a bit when the conversation goes off the rails and it's just us regulars going back and forth about something unrelated it ain't the end of the world. See? Sort of like we're doing now..
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@cmatts avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe

Enthusiast
@cmatts avatar
UTC quote
(is it better forum etiquette to revive an old thread vs starting mostly related new one?)

Whats the typical amount of damage from being knocked over?

Working on plans for vespa purchase in next 2 months. I will be parking on the street in brooklyn - so feels like getting knocked over at least once, if not regularly is kinda unavoidable.

I have a construction fence/wall that creates a corner in front of my building - that might be safe from sidewalk parking tickets. There looks like enough room to park wo blocking any of the walking path more than the fence does already ... but I'm definitely not counting on it.

I've also been looking at used vespas online, and the left side rear seems to be where there are consistent scratches/dents. Am I correct in thinking those are from being knocked over?
@nzscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS300 S

Hooked
@nzscoot avatar
2009 Vespa GTS300 S
UTC quote
The side stand is spring loaded, so when the scoot is bumped the side stand snaps back and over the scoot goes on it's LH side. best is to park it on it's centre-stand.

My scoot got blown over at the end of last year, big dent in LH side , a good 12mm/0.5 inch dent. It came out mostly but I still needed to use body filler on the rest of the dent. Plastic trim on floorboard also was crushed a little. Just finished repainting the back end last weekend.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
If you are really worried about it get some crash bars and cowl protectors.

It won't prevent any damage but it will help. Also get a kryptonite fugghetaboutit chain and lock or two to lock it to something sturdy. I wrap one chain around my front wheel and fender them lock the second chain to that on one end and a pole the other end. My short chain is short enough to get around the front fork above the fender below the horn cast while not long enough that someone could just slide the chain off the front fender. And would require them to spend some time really cutting the fork apart to get it free which would defeat the purpose. Or at minimum they would have to cut the front fender off which would buy be quick or discreet.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@cmatts avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@cmatts avatar
UTC quote
Was trying to get idea of what the typical damage would be.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0239s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0168s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]