OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hi everyone.

I just got a new 2019 Sprint 125cc, Notte edition.

It's my first Vespa. My daily ride is a Suzuki DRZ400SM.

The front end of the bike vibrates and sounds a lot. I feel every little bump of the road. It has a lot of feedback, but I think it's too much, ate the point of being annoying and very frustrating. Larges bumps I have no issue with, but seriously I can feel in my hands some cracks on the road.

Is it normal? Are new Vespas just under performing in front suspension?

I took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with it. The offered to replace the shock, but I don't know if that is going to fix the issue.

Care to share your thoughts?
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
Welcome.
125cc tells me you're not on the U.S. side of the pond. If you post your location, you might find a local MVer to help you. Best thing I can tell you is to try to get a side by side comparison. If this is your first Vespa experience, it may not ride the way you expect it to. My first ride on a small wheel scoot(Vespa)was not what I expected.
The best comparison of my BV's to my Honda is, when I ride the Honda, I feel the need of a mouth guard.
Good luck.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
I would check tire pressure per the manual or plates to be sure it is correct.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Welcome.
125cc tells me you're not on the U.S. side of the pond. If you post your location, you might find a local MVer to help you. Best thing I can tell you is to try to get a side by side comparison. If this is your first Vespa experience, it may not ride the way you expect it to. My first ride on a small wheel scoot(Vespa)was not what I expected.
The best comparison of my BV's to my Honda is, when I ride the Honda, I feel the need of a mouth guard.
Good luck.
Thanks for the response. And yes, I'm in Santiago, Chile.
I didn't get that: Do you need the mouth guard with the Honda or the BV?

I tried other Sprint at the dealer. The ride was smoother for sure, but not by much. Overall it seems they are poor performance, only mine is poorer.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
I would check tire pressure per the manual or plates to be sure it is correct.
Thanks for the response.

I did that. Went from 30 to 26psi, which is the recommended pressure.
No major differences.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
I suspect what you are feeling is normal (given a dealer checked it out). The suspension and handling are going to be very different when compared to a DRZ!
OP
UTC

UTC quote
In the event that the situation is normal: Has any of you tried any upgrades such as adjustable shocks?
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Forgive me for asking but how much is your riding weight? Weight does have an influence in riding. You may be lighter or heavier than the designers figured when sizing the suspension.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
Forgive me for asking but how much is your riding weight? Weight does have an influence in riding. You may be lighter or heavier than the designers figured when sizing the suspension.
Sure. I'm 163 lbs, 74 kgs.
@cadbury64 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Primavera 150

Hooked
@cadbury64 avatar
2019 Primavera 150
UTC quote
I've got a Sprint 150 and have been riding conventionally suspended large motorcycles for the past 37 years. The Vespa front suspension is plain weird by comparison and takes some getting used to. I find it stable enough at speed but the bump response is noweher near as good as a decent set of forks. I did test ride the Piaggio Liberty and frankly that felt a lot better to ride but my wife loved the Vespa look/brand so....
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0104s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0016s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]