@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
UTC quote
Right now there are four, FOUR! Threads on just this first page dealing with having lost the only key for a scooter or top box. It is very common when buying a used scooter for the original owner to provide you with only one key(not going into the whole red/blue key problem.). So you ride off all fat and happy for weeks or months and then lose the key, or lock it under the seat, or lose it in the divorce proceeding, or whatever. At that point you will have the thought, "l wish I had bought a second key."

So here is the message:

GO BUY BACKUP KEYS FOR EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW! KEEP THEM SAFE.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I really wonder about having the chip in the key thing. I mean, has this kept even one scooter from being stolen? It seems to be nothing but a hassle. It would be so easy just to get a key copied. On the other hand - I always have three or four keys for my truck as I have locked the keys inside occasionally (brain fart). I also have worn out 2 so far.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
I imagine it's stopped at least one scooter from being stolen. While yes it is a hassle it's not THAT much of a hassle if you plan accordingly. I would also be VERY hesitant in buying a used Vespa without the brown key. At the very least it would be a very big bargaining chip when it came to price. Personally I would never own a vehicle where I only had one key to the ignition if not simply for the brain fart scenario.

One thing I really would love Piaggio to do is have a universal key like BMW and many other brands where the ignition and top case are the same key. That I find very handy.
@grahamlml avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 250 , Baotian 70cc rat scooter, Yamaha V50M 1979

Addicted
@grahamlml avatar
Vespa GTS 250 , Baotian 70cc rat scooter, Yamaha V50M 1979
UTC quote
Might seem like a stupid question but how are so many Vespa's stolen and ridden when they come with immobilizers and chipped keys etc. I am not up with all the modern gizmos they use but would have thought it would have made it near impossible to steal. Other than lift them in a van
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
grahamlml wrote:
Might seem like a stupid question but how are so many Vespa's stolen and ridden when they come with immobilizers and chipped keys etc. I am not up with all the modern gizmos they use but would have thought it would have made it near impossible to steal. Other than lift them in a van
That would be the main way. The other option is break the steering lock and then simply have someone push you. I've seen videos of thief's using another bike to propel someone on another scooter.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
In the U.S. at least, most thefts are two or three guys in a pickup or van and the scooter's gone in 20 seconds.
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
When I bought my used van from a dealer I told them I would lose sleep at night if it only came with one key. She threw in the second key fob for free to get the sale. Price of the key fob and to program it to the ecu would have been $250 which you can't do with only one key and no dealer.
@soul_surfer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace

Molto Verboso
@soul_surfer avatar
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
UTC quote
It's just like "The Matrix", only the red key gets you back in the Matrix. 😉
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
One thing I really would love Piaggio to do is have a universal key like BMW and many other brands where the ignition and top case are the same key. That I find very handy.
It's easy and cheap to to have the lock on a Vespa top case rekeyed to use the ignition key. I did mine the first week I had it.

I think the reason they don't do it from the factory is that the case is optional and sold separately from the bike and they don't know which box is going to end up with which bike.
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV-350T, BV-400S, Malaguti 150

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
one key man
I was able to use dremel and simply grind the last pin in the top case cylinder. Now it opens with the Vespa ignition key.
Remove cylinder
insert ignition key
grind the raised pin down flat
reassemble cylinder
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
It's easy and cheap to to have the lock on a Vespa top case rekeyed to use the ignition key. I did mine the first week I had it.

I think the reason they don't do it from the factory is that the case is optional and sold separately from the bike and they don't know which box is going to end up with which bike.
True but other makers do it and they also don't know which accessory any owner is going to buy. How do they do it? Really it's just a value add premium brands like BMW offer. While a Vespa is a premium scooter in its class it's still pretty inexpensive when compared to other brands. I think the cheapest BMW costs more than the top Vespa.
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
alarm question
In order to prevent theft my dealer installed the Piaggio alarm. It operates with the fob on my 2018. It chirps once when activated so people know it's armed and chirps twice when I deactivate it. Lights flash in sync. It has its own alarm and works fine except it's not sensitive enough. Dealer says there's no sensitivity adjustment. Is that true, Isn't there a motion detector that can be adjusted? I've lifted it and tilted it but no alarm.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]