OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4
UTC quote
Out for a ride today and had the coolant hose pop off at the clamp. On the top of the engine by the bleeder valve-the clamp didn't hold apparently. I'd been running pretty fast for about 20 miles. I noticed it pretty quickly, but can't say with certainty that I caught it immediately.

Engine is cooled down now, and the hose clamp replacement is straight forward. But the red oil light stays on when I turn the key on. Check engine light is on for a couple seconds and goes off like normal when I turn the key on.

My question is really what I should look for to know everything is alright. I can refit the hose and fill the coolant, but I don't know how the troubleshoot if there's something else wrong outside of starting the engine to see. Oil is clear/normal. Alternative is to take it in for to have this repaired, but it's a long way from me and I'd to do what I can myself. Thanks for any insight!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4
UTC quote
Follow on thoughts after getting back home via an awesome friend with a truck:

Is there a thermostat on this cooling system that could've gotten stuck & allowed pressure to build up enough to blow the hose off? The pic above is exactly how it was when I took the pet carrier out.

Some other way for pressure to build enough to blow the hose off?

Simply a clamp that somehow wasn't tight enough from the factory?

The bike had 650 miles on it in since 2012 when I bought it this August. The coolant had been changed once, and I was admittedly slow in flushing the system after I got it.

Thanks again for any thoughts,

Dave
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
It looks to me like the thermostat would be under the cover that the bleed screw is in, but I'm not 100% sure. As far as the clamp goes, honestly, they are not that good from the get go. There are better clamps out there. Engine wise, if you got it turned off quickly before it got too hot, you are probably fine, Refill with the proper coolant, burp it, fill again, fill the coolant reservoir to the proper level and fire it up. Wash off all the coolant that was spilled as it will get a little sticky and attract dirt.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
If you fill it as much as you can from where the hose came off, you shouldn't need to bleed it much. Have the radiator cap off at the time. Then fill it up from the cap, let it run and see what happens. See if coolant came out at the cap. If so, you might have a blown head gasket or cracked head or cylinder.
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
If you're afraid you damaged the engine, do a compression test before firing it up again.

If all was dry in there, then you probably didn't spew cooolant all over the place.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4
UTC quote
Thanks for the advice! No coolant around the fill cap, and the compression test is a great idea. I'm going to replace the two lower clamps at the water pump while I'm patching things up. The hose is still very pliable/not brittle & stiff, so I suspect the clamp more than the hose as the culprit.

On the compression test, anyone have a range for what it ought to be?
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Re: Coolant hose came off '12 GTS
DaveMc wrote:
But the red oil light stays on when I turn the key on. Check engine light is on for a couple seconds and goes off like normal when I turn the key on.

Both of these are perfectly normal.
From your description there is nothing wrong.
Fill it, bleed it, ride it.
And keep an eye on it.
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
Attach the hose with a worm drive clamp, refill and bleed. If the temp light didn't come on when you were riding all should be good. You said oil looks clean and not burnt but I might drain and refill because it's only 1 litre. I would not change the oil filter, just a spill and fill.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
It's deceptive to do a compression test on a Vespa, because there is an automatic compression release that makes it read extremely low, as in "should not run" low, even if the motor is brand new.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Don't bother doing the compression test. As Motovista is saying it's not a good test to do unless you undo the cam compression release and it's not worth it. Your compression will be fine I'm sure. No need to change the oil either, it'll be fine. The oil will not have cooked. What's happened here, as others have said is the one time use clamp has come loose and the hose has blown off. The dash lights that you mention are all normal too. No worries there.

The bikes cooling system runs at around 13psi in the rads and hose. It's enough to blow any loosely clamped hose off, especially if you are running pretty fast.

Warning: if you use a worm drive clamp make sure you check the hose for leaks often. They often don't seal very well if being fitted after the one time use clamps have already been used on the hose. You may have to tighten it several times to start with as the hose compresses. Keep a check on the coolant level during this time. It's an 18mm-24mm clamp that you need. It fits all the hoses in that size range. You may find you can only get 18-25mm or 19-25mm, and those are ok too.
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Oops, my bad!

Didn't know there was a compression release cam on start.... that would make a compression test useless!

Fix it up, top off your fluids, and spark it up!
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4

Enthusiast
2012 GTS & '04 ET4
UTC quote
Thank y'all again! Got her buttoned back up this morning and running great this afternoon. I'll keep and eye on it going forward for sure.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Well done Dave. Good news.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Hose clamps on Piaggio products are known to come off.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0135s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0036s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]