@themod1 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Enough for the wife to tell me to slow down

Hooked
@themod1 avatar
UTC quote
hey guys would like to ask some technical advice on P200 lump with an old type Malossi 210 kit... I will port match also have a malossi exhaust and an option for a 24/24, PHBH28 or PHBH30 carb...

my question is more regarding gearing I have read a PX125 primary (might be a 4th but the place I saw this said primary) with a 22 tooth clutch to kill the tall 4th can anyone give recommendations or suggestions.

PS the kit was given to me if I had the funds to buy I dont think this would be the kit I would have chosen.
UTC

P200e

P200e
UTC quote
I have a p200 with a short 4th and a 22 tooth clutch . Top speed is 57 mph . It accelerates well and does well 2 up . But top speed sucks for around so cal . I would say bump that clutch up to the 23 or even 24 with the shorter 4th . Theres my 2 cents .
OP
@themod1 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@themod1 avatar
UTC quote
VSX1T wrote:
I have a p200 with a short 4th and a 22 tooth clutch . Top speed is 57 mph . It accelerates well and does well 2 up . But top speed sucks for around so cal . I would say bump that clutch up to the 23 or even 24 with the shorter 4th . Theres my 2 cents .
Johannesburg is also wide so might be a good plan thanks will look into it
OP
@themod1 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@themod1 avatar
UTC quote
VSX1T wrote:
Johannesburg is also wide so might be a good plan thanks will look into it
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
They must have meant a 4th gear that's used in the PX125. It's got to be a misprint about using a PX125 primary, because that just doesn't make any sense.

These are my experiences with playing around with gearing...first off, you need to gear for what type of terrain you ride in. Small hills? Large mountains? highway riding? Two lane windy roads? I guess a short second would be to figure out what sort of tune you want or have on your engine. On all of my stock 200's i use a short 4th (36 tooth) because i have to deal with hills and headwinds on the highway. I can still hit a true 70mph+ (in the right conditions, but mostly cruise at 55-60). In my Pinasco 215 (extra porting, cut crank, Dellorto 30mil, Sito +) i have a short 4th and a 24 tooth clutch. Wnen you go with a 36 thooth (short) 4th gear and a 24 tooth clutch, it will put the overall gear ratio pretty much exactly back to what a stock P200 would be, except you would now have a shorter gap between 3rd and 4th gear. The 24 tooth clutch will make 1st though 3rd taller than stock, and the short 4th that you'd use would bring that up to what a 200 would be with a 23 tooth clutch and a 35 tooth clutch.
The combination of the 24t clutch and 36t 4th in my 215 makes it cruise very nicely on the highway at 60mph. I think i get about 50-55mph at that speed. The only problem is that when i come to a steep hill, the power drops off quite a bit. So much so that my stock 200 (with a short 4th) can make it up the hills much faster. I'm going to swap a 25mil in place of the current 30 mil Dellorto carb that's on there to see what it does. Maybe it will give me some low end torque back? I might also go back to a 23 tooth clutch as well. I have plenty of power on the flat highway, but when i hit the hills i loose quite a bit of steam.

Probably the best combo for most 210 kits are just a short 4th and keep your 23t clutch. A 24 tooth will definitely sap the power.

Just remember about the "short" 4ths for P/PX200's...Use the 36 tooth gear out of an early (non-EFL) PX125 if you are wanting a shorter 4th for your NON-EFL P200. If you have a PX200 (EFL), then you would use a 36 tooth 4th from a T5 (EFL).
OP
@themod1 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@themod1 avatar
UTC quote
Thank you very much for the response

Yes I think the short 4th is what was meant and not short primary.

Over the night I also read a fair bit about leaving standard gearing and changing to a 60mm crank and change port timing this would then keep the kit speed and give back some low end is this kinda due to the raise in cc. by using a longer crank.

This engine was pretty well seized so I think I have to anyway replace the crank due to this. also I am not certain what the rotary pad looks like so I may have to go with a reed valve set up depending on over all condition of this pad. would this effect my torque or speed or both?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0105s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]