OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 Vespa 250ie

Lurker
2009 Vespa 250ie
UTC quote
Okay sprang a leak yesterday. Orange red in color. Noticed probably a good 10-15ml on the floor. Took it out washed it off ran it a bit and let it sit to try and isolate the issue. It looks like a bad gasket but i'm Nowhere near a mechanic. I'm a nurse. Searched the forums and I can't even tell you what 2T oil is and finding a engine diagrams online is a lot harder than it should be. Can someone tell me what this is and the repair I'm looking at? Scooter runs reasonably well. Some occasional stalling at full throttle but I assume it's a governed as it's only at top speeds. Oil changed at 6k and 10k. It's currently got about 12k miles on it. No drop in oil level. I might be loosing some coolant as I've had to top it off occasionally but the leak is defiantly not straight coolant but it's atleast a similar orangy color. Scooter is ridden as a daily commuter at top speeds. It's worth little so if it's got major problems I will just scrap it. Thanks in advance for you all's help.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Is this leaking on your GTS? If so, you posted in the wrong spot. You want to post in the General Discussion portion of the forum. Thats where LX, GTS and modern scooter problems are posted and they'll be sure to help you.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
Under the Wiki tab below the MV icon, you'll find a Workshop Manual hot link. Your scooter should be listed. The workshop manuals have extensive diagrams. That might help you isolate the area involved.

Could be coolant (pink), air filter oil (red), or something else entirely. You could wipe it down entirely, put a white paper towel under it to catch the next drips, and make a better determination of the color and characteristics (is it watery/sticky, with a sweet smell -coolant, or oily and clear-filter oil?

More data will help the gurus here help you.

Good luck.
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
I think you are correct Jmmateo. That is the cylinder base gasket at the end of my arrow (see pic) and it looks to be leaking coolant. If that is where it's leaking from it's a major job to replace that gasket. Cylinder head and cylinder sleeve need to come off and to do that it'd be easiest to remove the whole motor.

Could it be leaking from the top of the motor and running down making it look like that's where it's leaking from? Open the seat, remove the bucket and look near the thermostat housing and hoses (circled in red) for a leak. This would be a much easier fix. Especially if it's just a loose hose clamp. It's also directly above from where you took your pic.

Good luck.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
UTC quote
The best part about owning a vintage is that one doesn't have to deal with "orange liquid" or masses of wiring going in all directions. None of my three bikes even has a battery.
OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 Vespa 250ie

Lurker
2009 Vespa 250ie
UTC quote
S.Ro wrote:
I think you are correct Jmmateo. That is the cylinder base gasket at the end of my arrow (see pic) and it looks to be leaking coolant. If that is where it's leaking from it's a major job to replace that gasket. Cylinder head and cylinder sleeve need to come off and to do that it'd be easiest to remove the whole motor.

Could it be leaking from the top of the motor and running down making it look like that's where it's leaking from? Open the seat, remove the bucket and look near the thermostat housing and hoses (circled in red) for a leak. This would be a much easier fix. Especially if it's just a loose hose clamp. It's also directly above from where you took your pic.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I checked the top and unfortunately it's not a hose. There is coolant beading on the top side of the gasket as well. Pretty much looking at 500-800 for a tear down and repair if I can find a shop willing to work on a scooter or I tear it down myself and consider it my hobby entry into small engine mechanics or I ride it and keep adding coolant until it explodes and I buy something new. Either way identifying it as the cylinder base gasket was a HUGE help. Thanks.
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
Happy to help. I'm curious if the coolant was changed every few years since you've owned it? That base gasket is still from the factory or has someone been in there before?
OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 Vespa 250ie

Lurker
2009 Vespa 250ie
UTC quote
S.Ro wrote:
Happy to help. I'm curious if the coolant was changed every few years since you've owned it? That base gasket is still from the factory or has someone been in there before?
Nope. Bought it about 2 years ago from an older gal at 6k. She'd never serviced it or anything. Owned it for 7 years dropped it and decided to sell. I bought it for 1k. Changed the oil twice and topped off the coolant. That's it. It's by get to work and back ride and the kid enjoys the occasional pillion ride. That's why I'm hesitant to drop a grand into repairs on something I paid a grand for. 2nd) only place in town that could repair a Vespa has a crap service department.
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
Maybe you could sell it for almost what you paid for it now with full disclosure that its leaking coolant. Someone could fix it themself for fairly cheap. A new base gasket and new head gasket is about $30 if that is all it needs. Maybe the cylinder head nuts just need to be re-tightened.

Running the bike if the coolant is mixing with the oil is not very good. Is the oil level going up?
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
S.Ro wrote:
Maybe you could sell it for almost what you paid for it now...
That's the best idea so far.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
I'd say the scooter is worth $2300-$2500. You paid $1K. Say it costs you $800 to repair. You're still only at $1800.

If you sell it for $1K and are totally walking away from scootering, fine.
But if you sell it and still want a decent scooter, you'll only have $1K in hand. What are you gonna do with only that? You'd have to add $1300-$1500 to get back to something similar, so if you want to keep scootering, get the repair done.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0144s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0041s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]