@bigled avatar
UTC

Lurker
GTS 250ie

Lurker
@bigled avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
What is a suitable replacement battery for a 2006 GTS250IE. Mine has the positive terminal towards the front. I can't find a direct Yuasa replacement for the OEM battery.
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
Here is what came in mine. May or may not be good for yours.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
That is not a 2006 GTS - those came with the positive at the front for some weird reason.

A Motobatt will fit. The Yuasa YTX14-LBS will fit as well. Alternatively, the negative wire can be changed out for a longer one and you can then use the same batteries as everyone else.
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC quote
best battery is a Motobatt MB10U 12V
mine lasted forever even when my 2006 gts250 sat for extended periods of time.
batterymart.com
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
Robot has a video on the proper battery.

I got a GT200 replacement battery from Amazon for $30, including shipping, from a vendor I've used many times, Mighty Max.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
+1 on the motobatt. Best price I found was at scooterpartsco.com. They were significantly less expensive than everyone else I could find. It still cranked fine after several months of sitting.

Best
Miguel
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I'll throw out this tidbit just to stir the battery pot a bit. While it's a fact that Motobatt batteries are widely popular I threw one away just as the warranty expired. My BMW G650GS MC had a sort of weird tallish battery and I replaced the BMW OE wet cell (why would a mfg use a wet battery in a MC is beyond me!-if i go down the last thing I need is battery acid on my body) with the Motobatt.
I bought another based on fit and cost but the bad one left a taste in my mind for them, They are made in China as one might expect.
I bought an AGM branded Pirate battery on www.chromebattery.com for a UTV that I ended up selling the machine and now use that battery to inflate my boat we use in our RV. It is date coded 2010 and still test like new! it was a 2nd and not only cheap but a dandy battery still yet. They sell on Amazon and ebay and their own website per the link. That's where I'll look next time for a powersports battery.
It's also worth noting that you can catch great deals on brand name batteries from AP's box stores using web buys and instore pickups. My new RV deep cell battery I got 25% off and more from Advance AP's using one of those buy today discount codes. it was cheaper even than Walmart batteries.
There are only a few actual battery factories in the USA/N. America-buy the most you can get for the least, based on fit, construction (AGM, etc.) and crank ratings. Your buying "lead" and warranty for the most part.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Although I stated above that Motobatt will fit - The two I bought both failed very early. Not actually recommended.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
It seems from our experiences, though very anecdotal, that Motobatt might just lack good QC? I have thrown away very few batteries over my vehicle life, they mostly labor on until they die a natural death of sulphation or an internal short. The most crummy batteries I've encountered are the riding lawnmower sizes. Seem they come in various levels of never lasting very long. I must keep mine, the so-called higher capacity, on a tender even it's first summer last year, or the thing won't start! It's 4 times the size of a scooter battery and cranking a 27hp engine, not exactly asking too much.
Now, if I had a way to keep the chipmunks from eating my truck batteries winter insulation jacket I'd be good to go. Damned critters.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
25BIKEZ wrote:

I got a GT200 replacement battery from Amazon for $30, including shipping, from a vendor I've used many times, Mighty Max.
Remember you get what you pay for when buying a battery.
@max6201 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200

Banned
@max6201 avatar
UTC quote
I agree with VA and Miguel. Actually it is the way to go for batteries. I have never been disappointed with MB batteries.

Now I don't want to hijack the thread but I'll ask anyway. Do the smaller batteries come in maintenance free style? I mean dovthe batteries for lower displacement scooters come with that kind of battery?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Although I stated above that Motobatt will fit - The two I bought both failed very early. Not actually recommended.
I think they went from selling thousands of batteries a year to selling hundreds of thousands of batteries a year, and weren't quite prepared. I don't carry them anymore because of exactly what you are describing.

With the early GTS, there is a battery tray that fits the 10 amp battery. You need to change it for the battery tray for the later GTS and GTS 300 for the 12 amp battery to fit. One of the main reasons so many of the early GTS models had wiring harness meltdowns, and occasionally caught fire and burned to the ground, was that the 10 amp battery was very hard to find, and a lot of shops would stick whatever they had that fit in the bike, unaware that if the positive terminal touched the frame, which it did, the bike would short out.
It's a lot less common now, but I sold a wiring harness last week to someone who had that happen right after he got his bike out of the shop with a brand new battery.

There's a company called Modcycles that sells cheap MMG brand lithium batteries on Amazon. I don't sell them because their price to dealers is about what they sell them for on Amazon, and they claim it's not them, but one of their customers who has a store just up the street that is doing it. I used them when they first came out, and just ordered one today for one of my personal bikes. We put a bike in storage for five years, and when we took it out, it fired right up with that battery.
@max6201 avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@max6201 avatar
UTC quote
We read and learn. Scooter emoticon
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
25BIKEZ wrote:

Remember you get what you pay for when buying a battery.
Yep. A battery that works for $30.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Max6201 wrote:
Now I don't want to hijack the thread but I'll ask anyway. Do the smaller batteries come in maintenance free style? I mean dovthe batteries for lower displacement scooters come with that kind of battery?
Yes, I've never seen anything but maintenance free batteries for the last ten years. If delivered by post they'll have the acid separate - but once that's been added and the cell cover has been hammered on it stay maintenance free.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Max6201 wrote:
Yes, I've never seen anything but maintenance free batteries for the last ten years. If delivered by post they'll have the acid separate - but once that's been added and the cell cover has been hammered on it stay maintenance free.
The last few Amazon sourced batteries I've put into project bikes have been maintenance free, AGM batteries shipped via USPS already filled and sealed. This includes batteries for the GTS300, the Silverwing, and the GT200.
@boraxman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
@boraxman avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
vespa auntie wrote:
best battery is a Motobatt MB10U 12V
Second that...mine has done well.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0124s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0022s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]