@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
Used the old removed bearing on the backside of the swingarm with some threaded rod and some nuts and washers to press a new 6303-2RS bearing into the swingarm of my 2009 GTS 250.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
I am always in admiration of people who have the ingenuity to find a solution to a particular problem, well done! - Just curious, did you also do the popular pre-install preparation of putting the bearing in the freezer and heating-up the swingarm?
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
To be honest a bit of both is ok. But if you do it right with a proper heat gun, you don't need a bearing press tool to put the new one in. It just literally drops in and with a final tap from a rubber mallet using an old bearing or some such thing as a drift, it's done. But the tool is always nice to have and that's a good design too. Well done!
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
We are equipped with both brains and brawn to use in our lives.
The more you use the first, the less you have to use the second.
OP
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
I did put the bearing in the freezer and the swingarm was still hot from when I knocked out the old bearing. Tried to tap the new one in but it wouldn't just drop right in so I decided to press it in instead of banging up the new bearing with a bigger hammer.

Searched here for swingarm bearing as a thread title but nothing came up so thought I should share.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Yeah, well done. Just for future reference, you do have to reheat the swing arm again to get the bearing to just drop in. You need just a few extra microns of expansion to make that happen. The arm cools very quickly after you get the old bearing out so you lose those microns very very quickly. The swing arm has got to be very hot and the bearing straight out of the freezer after several hours. Then it just drops straight in. Never have had to use any real pressure to remove or replace any swing arm bearing. But that's just me and how I like to do them. Use just the tiniest tiniest smear of bearing grease on the bearing and in the bearing housing. You barely need to see the grease. If you use too much you can get hydraulic lock when you try to seat the bearing and it won't go fully home. The heat won't harm the swing arm. But you have achieved what you needed to do very nicely. No absolute right way to do it, so good job!

Oh, just to say it's worth using a large socket that fits the outer cup ring of the bearing you want to drive in. That way you avoid any possibility of damaging the bearing by exerting too much pressure on the inner bearing cup.

Thanks for posting.
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
I recently paid $25 to a machinist to press out an old bearing and press in a new swing arm bearing at a shop. I could totally do what you just showed up. thanks. How about giving us a parts list?
OP
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
Sorry there's no parts list as I had everything laying around.

What I can tell you is the inside diameter of the bearing is 17mm. A .5" (12.7mm) treaded rod should fit thru. The nuts I had were .75" (19mm) socket and I would guess are National Coarse Thread.

Outside diameter of the bearing is 47mm. A 1.75" (44.5mm) washer is probably what I had. Better to double or triple up these washers so they don't bend and start pushing on the centre of the bearing.

Best to take the new bearing to a hardware store and see what you can find that will fit.

Bearing for my 2009 GTS 250 measures 17x47x14 mm for reference.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Or just do as the professionals do and use a 'proper' heat gun and a socket the same size as the outer ring of the bearing you want to put in. The socket is the 'drift'. Do it right and the bearing just slips in without any need to use force. Just tap it lightly with the socket and rubber mallet and the bearing goes right home. Job done and takes just a minute. We do the same for all bearings in engines and gearboxes. Rarely need an bearing puller or pusher, but when you need one, you need one. But it's rare on Vespa's or most other bikes.
OP
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
What size socket would that be?
@soul_surfer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace

Molto Verboso
@soul_surfer avatar
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
UTC quote
Re: Homemade Swingarm Bearing Press
S.Ro wrote:
Used the old removed bearing on the backside of the swingarm with some threaded rod and some nuts and washers to press a new 6303-2RS bearing into the swingarm of my 2009 GTS 250.
BRILLIANT! It makes me think that if "Necessity is the mother of invention, then practicality must surely be the father".
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0173s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0101s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]