OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hello everyone!

I've searched the forum for my answer, but my head is spinning from what actually works and what doesn't, so I thought I'd create a new thread for my specific question.

I have a 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 i.e. 3V. I bought it used and don't have the master key. I was only given one blue key, but now that key is broken.

The key still goes into the ignition, and turns to the right, but the scooter won't start.

I live in LA, and I called the only dealer in town-- PCH Powersports. They said that I'd have to spend between $300-$700 to get a replacement, and the price depends on whether or not the my scoot is throttle body or carburetor. Does anyone know if a 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 i.e. 3v is a throttle body or carburetor?

Will I really have to spend that much to get a replacement key? Do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance for any help. Very much appreciated.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by SizeOfMyGrapes on UTC; edited 1 time
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
When your scooter was made, Piaggio put fuel injector units with integrated cdi on some models with the new 3V engine, and with separate cdi on others. Figure out which style you have, and then check to see if either AF1Racing or Scooterwest can flash the cdi for you. That will erase the previous key codes, and then you can rekey the scooter with a master and slave key set. Or you should be able to get the blue key cloned at a locksmith that can do Fiat keys and has the blanks. Get two of them. You might be able to buy slave blanks and take them to a locksmith that can clone keys, but find out before you buy blanks.
There are a few ways to do this for less than $200, but it is going to involve figuring out what you have, and what can be done with it.
The key coming apart should not have stopped it from working.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Good info on a flash job, etc., but I was actually thinking along the notion of the last sentence before I read the reply. Why did the key stop working? It's not like the "chip" fell out of the key head. Most locksmiths can do a key flash now days. Some are even mobile as they take their shop trailer to car dealers and commercial jobs and live where they prefer.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
UTC quote
Isn't the chip in that larger broken plastic / rubber bit? If you bring that broken piece close to the keyhole with the broken key turned, does it start then?

A couple of years ago I got one cloned for about $50 CAD ($35 USD) from a mobile locksmith that came right to my garage.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
You should be able to get that cloned, as above. AF1 Racing can do it for you, or any locksmith that can do Fiat/Lancia keys. The RFID chip is indeed in that larger bit, and you should be able to get the scoot to start by taping that bit just above the ignition barrel. Me - I'd try gluing it together with something pretty fierce.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Thanks a ton for the feedback everyone!

I've just uploaded another picture to the original post that shows the other side of the bigger chunk of the key head. There are a couple small holes. Maybe the chip fell out of there? I just tried it again, and the ignition won't fire.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Ah, yes, the chip has escaped.

So you're into a new lockset and your ECU 'virginised'.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
UTC quote
SizeOfMyGrapes wrote:
Thanks a ton for the feedback everyone!

I've just uploaded another picture to the original post that shows the other side of the bigger chunk of the key head. There are a couple small holes. Maybe the chip fell out of there? I just tried it again, and the ignition won't fire.
Some of the chips I have seen are quite small (glass capsules, for example) - but still, I would be surprised if it fell out of one of those holes. Mind you, the fact that the bike wouldn't start with that piece nearby is not promising.

Seems you don't have much to lose, so can you gently break or cut open that chunk of the key head to look inside for the chip?

How / where did you hold the broken bit when you tried to start the bike? Are you still doing all the other regular things to start the bike (kill switch off, brake lever in, etc)?
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
Would a jail break cdi unit be cheaper than OEM? I'm curious.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
FWIW, two chip configurations that I've seen-the small glass capsule(looks like a drug pill) and the small squarish version. But gone is gone...
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Thanks again, everyone!

Well, I glued the chunks back together, and it still won't turn over, so the chip must be gone.

"Would a jail break cdi unit be cheaper than OEM?"

I can't answer that in general, but for my model, it looks like a jail break won't work because it has fuel injection instead of a carburetor.

"When your scooter was made, Piaggio put fuel injector units with integrated cdi on some models with the new 3V engine, and with separate cdi on others."

I guess I should contact Piaggio directly about this because I can't find any info online about whether or not my model has a separate cdi... it is fuel injected though.

Unfortunately, at this point it looks like I'll have to pay $700 to get a new key. That's seriously crazy. I won't pay that much just out of principal. Looks like I'll have to sell my Piaggio for peanuts now
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Also, does that quote of $700 sound legit?? Maybe I should try another shop?
@max6201 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200

Banned
@max6201 avatar
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
UTC quote
This is a very good thread. Thanks for sharing with the community. I am in pretty much the same situation with my Vespa GTS 250.

The advice here is pretty much what you need to do. I don't think there is a jailbreak approach available.

I have been told that what I need to do is to remove the CDI and have it reflashed. Since it's winter now I will just do the winter stuff for a few months storage and have CDI re-flashed by AF1 during the Winter.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
Hey man, get a second opinion from Vespa Sherman Oaks or AF1racing and/or Scooterwest.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0183s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0112s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]