@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
This scammer has 5 posts in Jax., 2 in Orlando and 4 in Tampa. I'm tired of looking at it so I made this post.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/d/orange-park-vespa-scam/7003235995.html

Maybe if we expose these dick heads, they might lessen their frequency. Livid emoticon
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Good luck on ridding the earth of boogermen? One down and only millions to go...

FWIW, I have a late model car for sale on CL now. Cars, trucks, etc., you now pay $5 for a 30 day ad which is, I suppose to keep the scammers off the web.
It doesn't apply to MC/scoots though as we see. This is commonly seen crap from a society that needs money for ism's.
@ape avatar
UTC

Hooked
P200E

Hooked
@ape avatar
P200E
UTC quote
He is also posting in East Texas. Issue is Craigslist will only delete post where the report to views ratio is similar. So, really hard to get these removed.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I've always used the "scam button" before on CL and it got the bad ad taken away.Some idiots do that to good ads as well, at least they used to.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I flagged quite a few adds on CL only to get temporarily banned, that is, shut out of being able to retrieve contact information. Now, I just let the buyer watch out for themselves.
@max6201 avatar
UTC

Banned
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200

Banned
@max6201 avatar
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
UTC quote
When I looked at the price I knew it was a scam. Such scumbags! I feel for those who don't know any better and fall for such scams. Such an immaculate Vespa for the price.
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
I flagged quite a few adds on CL only to get temporarily banned, that is, shut out of being able to retrieve contact information. Now, I just let the buyer watch out for themselves.
The number of posts are very annoying. I guess they figure that Florida being a retirement state, is in need of special attention
If every state had someone post a scam alert, they might back off.
UTC

2015 Vespa Primavera 150

2015 Vespa Primavera 150
UTC quote
Plenty of these fake ads in New Jersey too.
Check out the other forum post.
Anyone in New Jersey? Deal or scam?
UTC

2015 Vespa Primavera 150

2015 Vespa Primavera 150
UTC quote
Re: Hoping to remove Vespa scam
breaknwind wrote:
This scammer has 5 posts in Jax., 2 in Orlando and 4 in Tampa. I'm tired of looking at it so I made this post.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/d/orange-park-vespa-scam/7003235995.html

Maybe if we expose these dick heads, they might lessen their frequency. Livid emoticon
Tell him you and a few friends want to buy all the Vespas he has listed on Florida craigslist and flip them for profit since his price is 70% cheaper than market value.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Anyone buying anything off the internet needs to use common sense. It's very unfortunate that older people are targeted and TBH these scams exist at all. There are always going to be criminals and they will use whatever avenue is available to them. On the bright side mugging is almost a thing of the past as no one carries money anymore.

If I see one of these I will report is but as I am not in the used bike market I don't look at the ads. If I were to buy one I sure as hell would be careful about it and vet the seller as much as possible.
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Sludog wrote:
Plenty of these fake ads in New Jersey too.
Check out the other forum post.
Anyone in New Jersey? Deal or scam?
Seen it. I want to talk about doing something about it, not just bitch about it. I reopened my Clist account so I can alert people about it.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
Lol, just saw this same listing in Chicago as well. Damn persistent.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Perhaps mugging has gone down, I don't study crime. I can say that I see regular episodes of purse snatching in the news though. They cruise shopping parking lots or neighborhoods for snatches and open cars or stuff showing & break the window. Not much of that where we live as too rural and most of us are too poor to have good stuff-ha!
The crooks use the plastic now days, common to buy gift cards with your CC number then they have distanced themselves from the CC as it gets canceled.
The results have become a true travesty of modern travel using plastic as the CC co's place a stop on ones card even when it's not your card that's been compromised. We've been told "there is a high risk in your travel area" and been up that creek. Our CU we have the gal's # to call so we can buy gasoline
on out of state trips without worry.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Perhaps mugging has gone down, I don't study crime. I can say that I see regular episodes of purse snatching in the news though. They cruise shopping parking lots or neighborhoods for snatches and open cars or stuff showing & break the window. Not much of that where we live as too rural and most of us are too poor to have good stuff-ha!
The crooks use the plastic now days, common to buy gift cards with your CC number then they have distanced themselves from the CC as it gets canceled.
The results have become a true travesty of modern travel using plastic as the CC co's place a stop on ones card even when it's not your card that's been compromised. We've been told "there is a high risk in your travel area" and been up that creek. Our CU we have the gal's # to call so we can buy gasoline
on out of state trips without worry.
One problem is I believe you still don't have chip and pin in the US? That's kind of mind blowing. It doesn't completely secure a stolen card but it sure helps a lot.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Not so, had chips for about two years or so, actually I've lost count?
A few stores still lack a chip reader, not many. Restaurants in our area still often lack pay at the table card devices which forces the CC to leave your possession for long enough for hanky panky.
I dislike the thing where the waiter asks how much tip to put on the device! I don't need tip prompts.
it is true that the lack of a chip made travel less than best case until chips came in. I was in a no gasoline mode in France a few yrs back as chips only pumps.
Since having chips, one of our CC has been compromised so not a cure all it seems. Another thing lately is the CC reader will say "chip malfunction", etc. then I'll try a swipe and the reader will say "use chip", then after wiping the chip on my shirt tail it may work after a few tries.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
This same ad has been placed in numerous states so many times. I've flagged 20-30 adds from california-oregon in just the last few days.
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
Since you mentioned Modern Vespa in your response to the criminal ad, did you make us a target for a revenge hack attack? We don't know how dumb or how smart these people are. Just sayin'.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Ok. Who is that?

Laughing emoticon
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Ok. Who is that?

Laughing emoticon
Dunno but sharing is caring. Besides MV is perfectly capable of going down all on its own and doesn't need any help
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
UTC quote
I have tainted these creeps a few times. I follow through and get them to send the fake check out, then I tell them the bank says the check is fake. they get really mad.

last time I looked up the police chief in tampa and had the check sent to him. then I just claim I never received it. they threatened to come to the address and beat me up. I said come on out. I run the police station here in tampa.
@everytimeidom avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200

Hooked
@everytimeidom avatar
2003 ET2 (SOLD); 2004 GT200
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
I have tainted these creeps a few times. I follow through and get them to send the fake check out, then I tell them the bank says the check is fake. they get really mad.

last time I looked up the police chief in tampa and had the check sent to him. then I just claim I never received it. they threatened to come to the address and beat me up. I said come on out. I run the police station here in tampa.
Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon

The only way these scams are going to stop is when the incentive for running them is eliminated. Flagging is fine, but if you take one down and another will pop right up. Awareness (which CL does -- there's a disclaimer and link about avoiding scams on every listing) helps, but the fact that these scam ads still exist leads me to believe there are people still falling for them.

I wholeheartedly approve of trolling them, wasting their time, leading them on, etc. because it's time being taken away from them ripping off an unsuspecting/ignorant consumer. I've taken this approach with the "0% credit card interest rate" scam calls I get on my work phone at least once a week. I play along, waste a bunch of their time with fake CC numbers and stories and questions and delay tactics, and when they finally figure out I've been wasting their time, I give them a nice lecture about how they must be making their families really proud being a scam artist.
UTC

2015 Vespa Primavera 150

2015 Vespa Primavera 150
UTC quote
Another two scam fake ads on craigslist New York city area.
Selling a 2014 vespa 300 for $800 because he no longer rides due to a bad back. Laughing emoticon

Even says please no lowball offers.

Hello sir can I offer you $400 for your $3500 Vespa. Hope you back gets better.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
If you post thousands of these a day and land one a month, you're living large in Nigeria.
When this scam first started, prices 40-50% below regular retail, with a good story seemed somewhat believable, and they hooked a few people who wanted something for nothing. Now, the ads aren't working, and the scammers think lowering the prices even more will fix them. So they keep lowering them to the point they really look like a scam. If you send someone $800 and expect to receive a 2014 Vespa 300 in return, here's you sign.
I say leave them alone. The longer an ad stays up, the more likely the scammer is going to continue to use it, and post it in other markets, because they think the ones that stay up are convincing. As long as they are posting these all day, they aren't using that time and energy to come up with something else that just might work again.
The best way to troll them is to make them think you believe the ad.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
I bet you'll get cooties from that helmet.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
I was almost taken in by this one.

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/mpo/d/kalamazoo-2010-vespa-gts-300-ie/7004930281.html

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

It's the bike I've always wanted. First red flag was the price, but still.

They emailed back. He said he had posted it for his mom and if I gave him my email she would send the rest of the pics I asked for as well as information.

I know ...

So his mom writes back with all the info I asked for. She says she wound up with the bike in a divorce and is shipping out overseas and just doesn't want to store it. She then proceeds to tell me that delivery is included. I say ok, but that's not necessary. She goes on to say that it's boxed up in an eBay warehouse ready to be shipped, the transaction will be brokered through eBay and all she needs is my full name and phone number and ...

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I tapped out and sent a screenshot of eBay saying "Yeah ... we don't do that".

Sad, though. I was looking forward to it..
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
I think it would be a great idea to create a thread here on MV specifically to nuke CL scam posts. All it takes it two people to flag and ad and it's gone.

If we posts links in a thread here of anything Vespa-scammy, we could do a pretty thorough job of keeping those CL ads at bay. There aren't really all that many Vespa scams on CL (relatively speaking). If you go to searchtempest.com you can literally scan every CL market at once and get results for all Vespa ads throughout the country. Makes it pretty easy.

I'd be willing to play.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200

Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
I was almost taken in by this one.

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/mpo/d/kalamazoo-2010-vespa-gts-300-ie/7004930281.html

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

It's the bike I've always wanted. First red flag was the price, but still.

They emailed back. He said he had posted it for his mom and if I gave him my email she would send the rest of the pics I asked for as well as information.

I know ...

So his mom writes back with all the info I asked for. She says she wound up with the bike in a divorce and is shipping out overseas and just doesn't want to store it. She then proceeds to tell me that delivery is included. I say ok, but that's not necessary. She goes on to say that it's boxed up in an eBay warehouse ready to be shipped, the transaction will be brokered through eBay and all she needs is my full name and phone number and ...

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I tapped out and sent a screenshot of eBay saying "Yeah ... we don't do that".

Sad, though. I was looking forward to it..
It's up in Houston, Oklahoma Cty, and Fayetteville Arkansas too. I posted about this one a while back and copied in their email and my response.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Here's another one that doesn't pass the sniff test: 2010 GTS 300 with only 3,400 miles for $1000. Should we nuke it?

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mpo/d/yukon-2010-vespa-gts-300ie/7006549294.html
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Here's another one that doesn't pass the sniff test: 2010 GTS 300 with only 3,400 miles for $1000. Should we nuke it?

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mpo/d/yukon-2010-vespa-gts-300ie/7006549294.html
Same picture. Just flagged it.

Just flagged a few all over the country from multiple computers.
@charlesm avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie (Nicked) GTS300 Super (Sold before nicked), 2001 PX (green)

Molto Verboso
@charlesm avatar
GTS 250ie (Nicked) GTS300 Super (Sold before nicked), 2001 PX (green)
UTC quote
Could it work that someone sets up a SCAM thread on here where you just post links to scam listings and all MV members have to do is click on it and flag it.

That way you could have 20-40 flags raised for each listing quite easily/quickly.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I don't answer scammers or low ballers. neither do I have interest in passing around their criminal activities. If I had a serious concern about an item I'd depend on intuition not re-posting of scams.
They will not go away. If you want evidence, I saw an article about the nearest city detention center to me in Lexington, KY today- it has over 500 union employees who have a labor beef with management. That's a glaring e.g. of how many crooks we have in even a small city.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
When it comes to running scams you just gotta hand it to the Nigerians' .

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-50480495
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
This White GTS300 has been posted all over the country, for months now. I also emailed then when I first saw the ad; just to see if there was any chance it was real. Got the same response as other poster above; listing for my mom/she'll contact you/got in divorce/ebay transaction/etc. Thats the tap out!

These type of scams have been running foreva. They are just looking to take advantage of someone with not-to-much common sense. Its sad, because people do fall for this; or the scammers wouldn't keep trying the same ol schtick.

Basicly, the old saying is true - - - if it's too good to be true; it probably is.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0254s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0083s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]