OP
@lbnorden avatar
UTC

2009 LX 50

@lbnorden avatar
2009 LX 50
UTC quote
Ok its been awhile
I rode my scoot (2009 LX50) all summer and in to the school year and still going. OMG I love this thing.
I have been messing with the idea of getting a larger vespa. something like a 125 or a 150. I like the look of the older models. How is the Stella compared to the vespa.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Which model Stella - 2 or 4 stroke? Never mind, it does not matter. Vespa is the better scoot. Razz emoticon
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
I had an LXV 150 3v. Good for urban running around and the occasional longer trip (100km each way)
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
The LX50:is quite a fun bike, glad you like it. If you want to get more serious about your scootering,to include longer trips, then a 125 or 150 would be great. But, if you are intending to be really really serious about doing big miles and want the ability to travel pretty quick try for the 300 GTS. They are stunning!

The Stellar is not quite so good depending on the model you want.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Re: Bigger vespa
LBNorden wrote:
How is the Stella compared to the vespa.
Horrible. But it's also horrible compared to someone throwing rocks at you.
@fishfingers avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella, GTS 300, Vespa p200e

Hooked
@fishfingers avatar
Stella, GTS 300, Vespa p200e
UTC quote
The 2 stroke Stella is an excellent scooter. I've owned mine since 2003 and put over 30,000 miles on it. Easy to get parts for it. Disc brake on front. Very reliable - I ride it to work all winter in all weather conditions. You can find them used for around $1,500.

I've never owned the 4t, so can't comment.

Avoid the automatic Stellas.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
A friend has a Stella 2 stroke. Great scooter but has to many old world charms for my liking, I had a P200E Vespa-so I know. I do enjoy the chance to ride/borrow the Stella though. I have a Liberty 150. Super modern and has been a great scooter also. So I guess its down to style and what you intend to use it for. If I wanted a hobby/toy scooter I would get a Stella, for daily use I would get a modern Vespa.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
fishFingers wrote:
The 2 stroke Stella is an excellent scooter. I've owned mine since 2003 and put over 30,000 miles on it. Easy to get parts for it. Disc brake on front. Very reliable - I ride it to work all winter in all weather conditions. You can find them used for around $1,500.

I've never owned the 4t, so can't comment.

Avoid the automatic Stellas.
Reliable is one of those terms that gets bandied about quite a bit, that means different things to different people. When I see "very reliable," I think of a daily driver, something you could commute on every day with a high likelihood of getting where you wanted to go on time.
30,000 miles in sixteen years on a Stella without any major repairs is remarkable. That's almost 2,000 miles a year. If your commute was about three miles each way, and the Stella got you there and back on time most of the time, without any major repairs, it would definitely fit the bill. What repairs has it needed over those 30,000 miles?
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
LBNorden wrote:
How is the Stella compared to the Vespa.
Well, the Stella always had some reliability issues, but now it is a discontinued orphan in the US. It wouldn't be on my list.
OP
@lbnorden avatar
UTC

2009 LX 50

@lbnorden avatar
2009 LX 50
UTC quote
I know this is Modern Vespa but what does everyone think of the models from the 70s and 80s
@dark avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300 - GTS 300

Enthusiast
@dark avatar
GTV 300 - GTS 300
UTC quote
LBNorden wrote:
I know this is Modern Vespa but what does everyone think of the models from the 70s and 80s
They are fun to look at
But, do you like wrenching or riding?
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
Re: Bigger vespa
LBNorden wrote:
Ok its been awhile
I rode my scoot (2009 LX50) all summer and in to the school year and still going. OMG I love this thing.
I have been messing with the idea of getting a larger vespa. something like a 125 or a 150. I like the look of the older models. How is the Stella compared to the vespa.
I have an LX 50 and it's a great scooter. It was a bit underpowered until I installed the 80cc kit. It's much better now, but still a small scooter. And by small I mean at 6 feet tall I have to sit on the center of the seat, or on the back of the seat if I want to lean forward a bit. My wife sometimes prefers to ride pillion, rather than ride her own scooter, and it's not very comfortable for me on any longer than a couple mile ride. So a 150 isn't going to help, as they are the same size scooter with more power. So keep in mind the LX 150 (or Primavera 150 or Sprint 150) will have more power, but it's the same size scooter.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
If you want an older 2 stroke model, get something in the P series - 125, 150 or 200. Once set up properly, it will give you many miles of smiles. As far as maintenance goes, you will spend more money and time on a modern. And yes, I have owned both. By the way, I owned a 2003 Stella, bought with 3k on the clock and I put another 15k on it in the next 18 months. It was my first scooter and I got it thinking it would be less work than an older one. I could not have been more wrong. When I sold it, the lower end was going out, all the rubber bits were disintegrating, the wiring was sub par and failing, the seat was falling apart, and the electronics were a mess. Never again. My first P200, being almost 20 years older was a much better built bike all around .
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
This. I've owned two Stellas. One was on purpose. The other one was abandoned at our shop. I got one of them for what it's worth.

[chippewa falls, wi] 2008 stella of death
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
The issue with two strokes, especially if only used for low miles each year, is the amount of corrosion the engine internals suffer. It's this corrosion to bearings, cylinders etc that knocks out the engines vital components very quickly particularly the small & big end bearings, main bearings etc. If ridden almost everyday, getting the motor really hot, they can last very reasonable mileages. But they don't come anywhere near close to meeting the same engine life as modern four-stroke engines.

A Stella covering 30000 miles is remarkable, but I've never known one do that without an engine rebuild. Yet a four stroke GT/GTS bike will easily cover 3 times that mileage with nothing more than routine servicing & consumables.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0160s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0057s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]