@phaskins avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 250ie

Addicted
@phaskins avatar
2006 250ie
UTC quote
I picked up some led bulbs from Vespa Motorsport that are plug & play for the front running/rear running/license plate spots. All seemed fine at first but now they flicker like a strobe light. The old bulbs work without this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions (besides using my old incandescents)?
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
My cheap ebay ones did that - looked like I was signaling a turn! Dangerous.
Installed better...and no issue for 2yrs running.
But, don't imagine they sold a cheap set.
O.S.
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
check
Check all the connections, and the sockets. LED's draw so little power that any little bit of corrosion will affect the voltage. And LED's react extremely quickly to voltage change, as opposed to incandescents, which are notably slow. Possibly you have a loose connection somewhere. If you know someone with an oscilloscope or high-end digital meter, be interesting to check the supply and see if your voltage regulator/rectifier is bleeding AC into the DC circuits. Incandescents don't care, LED's care greatly. If there is significant AC, there are ways of converting it and filtering it, but unless you want a short course in electronics, perhaps not worth the hassle.
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
My cheap Ebay LED running lights burned out quickly. I switched the power source for my running lights from AC to a key on DC circuit. The lights come on as soon as the key is on, but the LEDs are still bright 2 years later. And the chances of leaving the key on are quite a bit less with the bright running lights as a warning.
OP
@phaskins avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 250ie

Addicted
@phaskins avatar
2006 250ie
UTC quote
I played around with the three that are flickering and it doesn't seem like the problem is a loose or broken wire. Something I forgot to mention is that the three lights flickers with both the engine running as well as off. So probably nothing to do with the VR.
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
Yes I've had a few that failed like that. Just don't buy from that source again. Where possible I now go for the type having a metal sleeve, these have been more reliable so far. If you replace bulbs in the headlamp shell they can also overheat because they are too close to an always on headlamp bulb.
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV-350T, BV-400S, Malaguti 150

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
Had same problem of the converted LED's flickering with less than 20 hours use. I don't think they're rated for automotive since vibrations cause flickering, even at idle standing still. I put lithium grease on the contacts to no avail.
Got replacement LED bulbs that are now working for 70+ hours.
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
helpful
Yes, if the lights are flickering with only battery power, then the lights are at fault.

I've considered going to LED replacements. But it seems many never reach the expected lifespan, require modifications ( head lights and turn signal flashers, for example), and often fail to deliver on performance. Edison bulbs, in the other hand, are cheap, trouble free for the most part, and have acceptable lifespan.
@melt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 2013 LX125, 2017 GTS300

Enthusiast
@melt avatar
Vespa 2013 LX125, 2017 GTS300
UTC quote
I had a similar problem.......

LED headlights.....no way, back to a halogen

Most have been poor but my switchback turn signal run lights have been great but then again they came with an inline alloy box of trickery in the switchback unit.
@rp_tech avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rp_tech avatar
UTC quote
Re: helpful
Jimding wrote:
Yes, if the lights are flickering with only battery power, then the lights are at fault.

I've considered going to LED replacements. But it seems many never reach the expected lifespan, require modifications ( head lights and turn signal flashers, for example), and often fail to deliver on performance. Edison bulbs, in the other hand, are cheap, trouble free for the most part, and have acceptable lifespan.
LED's draw less from the battery and allow other battery operated components to operate i.e. hand warmers, under chassis lights, USB jack. LED are also brighter and whiter.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0112s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0038s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]