OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Aloha,
Have a very nice well kept LX50 and it has been trouble free up until now. We get a lot of rain here and so when I canʻt park in the garage I put the stock cover on to protect from the elements. We recently had a downpour of several inches within a few minutes and the weight of the water that pooled in the cover knocked the scooter over. It wouldn't have happened if I used the factory stand but it was using the aftermarket kick stand that I installed so my wife could ride it.
First thing I notice besides some scratching was that the left mirror broke off at the base.
I drove it since the dumping for the first time today and it started with a little more effort than usual with the electric start. I got a few blocks and it stalled. I tried to start it for several minutes with a few attempts where it had kicked over for a second. It was low on gas so I thought I would walk home and bring some gas back giving sometime in case it was flooded. I now tried starting with 1/2 tank and got it started but it stalled 3 times before I drove off. It stalled 2 more times on the way back but with a little effort I was able to get it started again o get home. My question is that does anyone know what I should check that could have been disturbed by the scooter falling over that could result in this sporadic running and stalling issue? Thanks in advance,

Steve
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
Re: LX50 stalling
SteveArmy wrote:
Aloha,
Have a very nice well kept LX50 and it has been trouble free up until now. We get a lot of rain here and so when I canʻt park in the garage I put the stock cover on to protect from the elements. We recently had a downpour of several inches within a few minutes and the weight of the water that pooled in the cover knocked the scooter over. It wouldn't have happened if I used the factory stand but it was using the aftermarket kick stand that I installed so my wife could ride it.
First thing I notice besides some scratching was that the left mirror broke off at the base.
I drove it since the dumping for the first time today and it started with a little more effort than usual with the electric start. I got a few blocks and it stalled. I tried to start it for several minutes with a few attempts where it had kicked over for a second. It was low on gas so I thought I would walk home and bring some gas back giving sometime in case it was flooded. I now tried starting with 1/2 tank and got it started but it stalled 3 times before I drove off. It stalled 2 more times on the way back but with a little effort I was able to get it started again o get home. My question is that does anyone know what I should check that could have been disturbed by the scooter falling over that could result in this sporadic running and stalling issue? Thanks in advance,

Steve
What year and how many miles? I ask because early models (2006) had an issue with faulty CDIs that will cause stalling with no spark until the vehicle sits for a bit. The dropping of the scooter may just be a coincidence.

Read the entire description for this part and order it if it sounds like what you're experiencing:

https://scooterpartsco.com/vespa/lx-50/lx-50-electrical/cdi-coil-for-vespa-lx-50-piaggio-fly-50-2v-unrestricted?zenid=5bfcb54ca870ea402268dece68bf90c3

Also check the spark plug boot. It may have come loose in the fall.
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
Itʻs a 2008 with 1400 miles.

Thanks!
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
UTC quote
I assume it fell on the left side. How long was it down? How much gas did it have before it fell? Probably not the CDI, yet.
@sro avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 250

Hooked
@sro avatar
2009 250
UTC quote
Re: LX50 stalling
SteveArmy wrote:
...I got a few blocks and it stalled.... It stalled 2 more times on the way back...
These 2 points have me thinking it's a fuel issue. Carburetor bowl fills with fuel and you can drive a certain distance. Wait a bit and the bowl fills again and you go a certain distance again until the bowl empties. Were the 3 running events about the same distance? About a carburetor bowl distance?

I would be looking for a cracked or kinked vacuum line. Petcock lines cracked or kinked?
OP
UTC

LX50

LX50
UTC quote
When it fell it wasn't down for very long. I can start after a long cranking of the starter then it will idle for a minute and just cut out. If I keep revving the throttle it will respond normally and then cut out whether the throttle is open or not.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
Aloha and ciao from Italy, (nice little place in Hawaii, they remind me of Sicily )
Check that there is no water in the tank and that the air filter is dry (if wet it sucks water with air); another possibility is that the humidity stagnates somewhere in the electrical system.
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
One things I've done to my LX is replace the fuel and vacuum line with clear, ethanol resistant fuel lines. The clear lines make it very obvious if there's an issue with fuel getting to the carb. If your 2008 still has the original fuel lines I highly recommend replacing them with clear lines. Even if the fuel lines have nothing to do with your current issue they will be an issue eventually.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
It does sound like some of the stuff that gets into the carb and settles in the bottom of the bowl over time got loose and clogged the pilot jet. That's an easy thing to check.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0126s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0036s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]