UTC

Addicted
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC quote
Well

Being the "garage womble" that i am, I was looking through my bits the other r evening and came across the following bits

PX125 engine mostly complete (I have the bits necessary
150 "5 port" cylinder, knackered piston and no head
polini 180 head
P200 crank

do i.....
A - rebore the 150cc with a polini piston to utilise the head
B - stick them back in the corner to gather more dust
C - ask you fine chaps for suggestions of what piston to drop in and whether to use the P200 crank as its 1mm longer stroke

suggestions and opinions appreciated

@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
If you bore the 150 to 63mm, there is a downside that it can change the port location - this is because they don't necessarily come in to the bore straight. There are other downsides apparently but I can't recall the rest just now.

The VMC Stelvio cast iron 177 is cheap and meant to be pretty good so there's an option.
Will you get away with a hone, or does it definitely need a rebore? What's the cost of that including a new piston? I think the LML pistons for that kit are pretty good iirc, with thinner rings than the Piaggio ones. And you'd have to be able to pick up a head for next to nothing, surely.

200 crank in a 150 case can work (and be beneficial) although the stroke will be the same, not 1mm different. You need a (nominal) 5mm base packer to make up for the 5mm longer rod.
You also need to remove the 'lip' from the crank... this is how they managed to get a bigger intake when they made the 200 cases. The crank is basically the same but with extra material to make it wider on the sealing surface (have a look at pics of both cranks and you'll see what I mean). Or machine a groove into the case itself, but that's a lot harder.
OP
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC quote
hi

a 150cc piston and rebore is £60+ and i dont have a 150 head,

a new 150cc kit is around £75. so its not really cost effective to hunt a head for it............. if only all it needed was honing

The fun option would have been reboreing to a "180" or similar, however, as you have indicated that the ports are not guaranteed to maintain orientation i think the likely reality iis ts a non starter and will put these back in the junk box or if anyone needs a barrel and or a head... let me know

thanks
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0105s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0029s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]