OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Anyone who's been following my writings here likely knows that 1) I'm seriously bullish on in-helmet Bluetooth communication systems (which at this stage should more accurately be called infotainment systems, even though I've mostly despised that term from the moment it was coined some decade-or-so ago), and 2) I'm equally enthusiastic about turn-by-turn GPS guidance, especially as Google Maps has improved this particular aspect of Maps immensely in the past year in terms of granularity: spoken directions are far less vague, and a good deal more intuitive. This is one thing that's allowed me to avoid mounting my phone directly onto the bike.

Having said this, I have to admit that my success rate with voice-only guidance is fairly below 100%; this is especially true on longer trips via unfamiliar routes, and dealing with interchanges with multiple on/off ramps (New Jersey is loaded with those). So, a few months ago, I decided to look at phone-mounts for the bike again...and still didn't find anything I thought I could live with: Too big, too Rube Golberg-ish, too pricey-everybody's got their pat formula, and every rider's got a reason to love theirs and hate everything else.

Meanwhile, those mischievous little bots from Google and Facef...er, Facebook took obvious notice of my online searches and did their usual ad-push thing, for which I've cultivated a fine-tuned maths of simply tuning out. But one thing jumped out at me: ads for something called Quad-Lock, replete with testimonials and fairly-convincing video demos of the product an a wide range of bikes, including Vespas (a blue GTS shows up with high regularity in those videos...they sure know their demographic). A few months ago, I checked out the particular kit from them relevant to both bike and phone (the latter being a Samsung Galaxy S9); the initial price hovered a bit too close to a C-note for my wallet, but a few weeks ago, the price came down to a more-reasonable $70, shipped, so I pulled the proverbial trigger, and the kit arrived two days ago.

The first thing that appealed to me was the size of the mount: positively tiny when compared to something like a RAM mount. Next thing is simplicity: no rubber bands or X-braces in attempting a one-size-fits-most approach to phone mounting: you get a form-fitting case conforming to your specific model phone, with a cleverly-incorporated, almost-flush bayonet-style mount in back. (One pleasant revelation: this case doesn't interfere with wireless charging.)

Installing the mount on the mirror stalk is close to a no-brainer: just choose the appropriate-diameter hard-rubber collar to attach around the stalk, then take the mount and its associated C-clamp, align them around the collar, then connect with two Allen bolts (snug, not crazy-tight). Next, take the adjustable quick-release interface, align it as preferred, then bolt on with one Allen bolt. Voila, you're ready to attach the phone and take off.

Attaching the phone will seems tricky as first, compared to removing it: I recommend using two hands the first few times you do it (one hand to press down the quick-release lever, the other to attach the phone). After about four or five tries, I now manage one-handed attachment and detachment.

And, yes, this thing is damned solid: nothing loose, no vibration to obscure screen viewing. (Pro tip: mount the thing as close to the base of the stalk as possible, further minimizing engine-borne vibration, although with most modern Vespas I'd say this is a minor issue compared with, let's say, certain beloved V-twin bikes.)

Also nice: With the phone removed, the mirror-mount is small enough not to garner excess attention, and next to no fragile bits hanging out for someone to mess with.

In short: a win. Highly recommended.
Everything needed, right here.
Everything needed, right here.
Yes, that's everything, save for the phone case.
Yes, that's everything, save for the phone case.
On the bike: the mount, minus phone.
On the bike: the mount, minus phone.
Phone mounted on bike: clean and secure
Phone mounted on bike: clean and secure
From the other end: like I said, tiny, and secure.
From the other end: like I said, tiny, and secure.
Channeling Vanda & Young: Ah, those cheeky Aussies.
Channeling Vanda & Young: Ah, those cheeky Aussies.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I added the Quad Lock with the RAM Mount ball, since I have one of the 1" ball mounts on each mirror stalk; completely agree with your assessment. This is my third phone holder in my search for the "ideal," and it is by far the best solution so far.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Since that image, I have added a coiled USB to Lightning cord that works great, as well.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0128s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0040s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]