UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
I'm renewing the carb with new internal parts, and I have a question:

Why are the replacement diaphragm needle and holder I received in a kit so different from the OEM? New on right, OEM on left. See the pic below. I can clean up and reuse the OEM if I need to, but is the new needle better for some reason?

Thanks in advance.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS 250

Hooked
2008 GTS 250
UTC quote
Your new one should have a much richer light and mid load range
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS 250

Hooked
2008 GTS 250
UTC quote
Your new one should have a much richer light and mid load range, if it works at all. Just clean the original
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
raceratb wrote:
..., if it works at all....
They are for a different carburetor. I'm not extremely familiar with the internals of a Walbro carb, but that's what the early GT200 had. I do know that the new parts are for a Keihin carb.
OP
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
raceratb wrote:
..., if it works at all....
They are for a different carburetor. I'm not extremely familiar with the internals of a Walbro carb, but that's what the early GT200 had. I do know that the new parts are for a Keihin carb.
My carb is a Keihin CVK. The logo is cast into the body of the carb. Wonder if the wrong needle ended up in the carb during a previous life?

Anyway:

1. Should I use the skinny brass needle or the fat aluminum looking one?

2. The white plastic spring retainer won't fit over the needle mount peg in the old slide or the new slide I ordered. The OEM(yellowed one) fits fine.
OP
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
UTC quote
Turns out the carb kit I purchased on a member website is generically for CVK 30 carbs, but not the GT200 carb.

I ordered before I had my carb apart, so I didn't have the parts to compare to the picture on their website. The differences would have been pretty obvious.

The more I look at Keihin CVK 30 carbs on the web, the more variations I see. They're surprisingly common on small displacement singles, even new ones.

I cleaned up the old parts, and will put the kit parts in my box o'jets, needles, and springs for my next project.

Moving on. Coolant hoses and Oetiker clamps next.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0076s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0021s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]