@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Bought my wheels 33 days ago, and have constantly been super careful to park where no other vehicle would reasonably make contact with me (usually in a designated motorcycle space).

Went to dinner just now. Probably should have parked at the red curb adjacent to the bike corral, but I was law-abiding and took the 5+ foot gap between two compact cars at parking meters. I don't think I've ever parked between paralleled cars before, but since both of them had plenty of room (in front and behind) and I was gonna be there less than an hour, I thought it was safe.

Came out to see that the white VW GTI had been swapped with a black Lexus. Checked my quarter panel and saw this:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Nearby panhandler didn't hear it, and I couldn't find any cameras that would have had a view (except one that presumably only works if a doorbell had been rung on an empty office space). Didn't see any evidence on the Lexus.

I've been meaning to buy crash bars, but I haven't been sure if I should do the low-profile Piaggios or some Fehling cowl-edges. Was gonna talk to my dealer about it at my 625 mi service today, but I postponed it to avoid the smoke and power outages in the North Bay. 🤦‍♂️

I can't figure out how upset I am. Rage would have been a reasonable emotion, but the discovery felt more like astonishment + inevitability. I still paced for 15 min looking for a camera, and definitely felt some storm clouds in my psyche on the ride home.

Curious to see how I react in the sunlight. I guess I'm about to find out how much the quarter panel on a 2020 metallic-flake HPE costs...
⚠️ Last edited by mayorofnow on UTC; edited 1 time
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Yes, ouch.

But: Could've been worse...much worse, in fact: those panels are easily replaced (plastic), unlike the main metal bodywork that looks otherwise unscathed from looking at the photo, which would be costlier to deal with properly.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
I NEVER park in parallel to a car, I also had bad experiences and "storm clouds" (beautiful definition). I also made the belief that German cars are vindictive with many vehicle brands. And ... yes Vespa is very vulnerable because of the buttocks ("chiappe" is Italian nickname of the Vespa side bellies) that protrude. In other scooters of other brands the protections are the muffler body and the air filter side. The accessory Vespa protections are essential if you want to worry little about where you park.
@soul_surfer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace

Molto Verboso
@soul_surfer avatar
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
UTC quote
That truly sucks and blows at the same time. Sadly, many "cagers" are either unconscious of the damage they cause, or plain just don't give a care. Perhaps a body shop which works on motor bikes or even your dealer, can find a way to fix it up? I know it is really bad when the scoot is brand new and hindsight on getting the crash bars, is 20/20, but consider that with the crash bars, jutting out, the driver might have knocked it over for worse damage too?

Best of luck and remember akways remember, that as much as we love our shiny toys, some people just hate us or don't care.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
Horrible, but inevitable. The Vespa's flanks just stick out there loud and proud.

Me, I'd get a roll of two or three inch wide silver 3m Scotchlite reflective tape (or maybe a Vespa GT stripe kit) and tape the length of the plastic pieces. Low cost, adds safety, and protects the flanks (tape is under the red reflector covering some paint damage). Then you could add the aftermarket guards.

Or, you could get a roll of self adhesive automotive rub strip material (lots of colors, styles, and widths) and put a strip on each flank (on the plastic panels) to cover the scratches and add protection. That's the black strip on my GTS lower panels. It's not artfully done, and I should have done the whole length of the piece, but it would almost disappear on a dark green bike.

My .02. YMMV.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Unfortunate this happened and I know how hard it can be to look at your beautiful Vespa when it has been scarred. Crash bars take nothing away from the riding experience and this is exactly the kind of damage that they help avoid. I know it has saved me in the past. I've actually been rear ended and not all that lightly and there was zero damage. The driver did the right thing and immediacy pulled over and jumped out of his car to see if he damaged my Vespa. Both of us were flummoxed that there was none. The rear portion of the crash bar took the entire impact and even it wasn't marked up.

Ironically in a real crash they are pretty useless... But for little dings they are worth every penny.

I also find that I use them all the time for foot placement. I can be a pretty aggressive rider and often find myself putting my feet on the bars so I can lean more in to turns.

PLUS.. I think they look good but your milage may vary.
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Funny, if you'd asked me the day before I bought my Vespa, I'd have thought the very first thing I was going to do was order crash bars to avoid this. Then I got paradox-of-choiced and figured I'd wait to make the purchase until I saw them in person.

The main reason it didn't feel pressing is I've been finding spots where I shouldn't ever make contact with cars in the first place. I've also been considering if the extra girth would affect my ability to filter at traffic lights.
Quote:
I also find that I use them all the time for foot placement. I can be a pretty aggressive rider and often find myself putting my feet on the bars so I can lean more in to turns.
Using them as rear footpegs is an interesting idea. I've definitely caught myself wanting to put my feet back there when I'm accelerating off of a light. Seems like you could end up scratching the paint you're trying to protect though. 🙃
Quote:
automotive rub strip ... (or maybe a Vespa GT stripe kit)
Interesting! I still haven't examined the damage in the light, but from a quick Google search it does look like there are decal kits that cover exactly the affected area. Perhaps that's a worthwhile form of protection too.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Unfortunate this happened and I know how hard it can be to look at your beautiful Vespa when it has been scarred. Crash bars take nothing away from the riding experience and this is exactly the kind of damage that they help avoid. I know it has saved me in the past. I've actually been rear ended and not all that lightly and there was zero damage. The driver did the right thing and immediacy pulled over and jumped out of his car to see if he damaged my Vespa. Both of us were flummoxed that there was none. The rear portion of the crash bar took the entire impact and even it wasn't marked up.

Ironically in a real crash they are pretty useless... But for little dings they are worth every penny.

I don't think I'd use my crashers that way, but my would-be Speed Racer stance looks a little like this:
How they do it in Oz, I suppose.
How they do it in Oz, I suppose.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Have still been putting off getting crash bars, but I've been so careful with where I've parked it that it hadn't been a problem.

Somehow, someone managed to back into me the other day. The car was a few feet away, and had an open driveway in front of it. 🤦‍♂️

Finally getting around to buying those crash bars...
UTC

Hooked
2020 Vespa GTS Touring 300

Hooked
UTC quote
Crash bars will be a cheaper disposable than any metal or paint work you are likely to need. I finally realized that the black bars will be reasonably unobtrusive with that dark green color scooter.
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300

Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
UTC quote
So did the car actually knock it over? Or just bump in to it?

I get it, the scooter is new and all, and the indignity of it. But it really doesn't look that bad. I can get marks like that on any given day just from rock strikes or leaning across the machine with a zipper. (Ask me how much I think the soft modern paints suck).

The marks in the first picture will probably buff out. The marks in the second picture can be rubbed away easy. Get yourself some of this --> https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-ultimate-compound-g17216-152-oz-liquid ,and you'll be fixed up in short order.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
This is one of those unfortunate things that is likely to happen if you park between cars.
When I lived in San Francisco, after learning this the hard way, I would always try to park at the end of the block, so nobody could park in front of me, and I would be in front of the car when they were leaving. The only issue then is the person who can't parallel park and swipes you while backing in.
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Yeah, that's why I don't park between cars.

All my usual spots were taken, so I parked in the last of a row of motorcycle spaces. I'd presumed nobody parking in the single space ahead of them would be bad enough to hit them. I was incorrect.

Indignity is a good word for it. It's infuriating that someone could be so careless and leave you holding the bag.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
You would be surprised how effective a clay bar is in removing paint transfer of this nature.

About $15 at any decent auto parts store.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I'd presumed nobody parking in the single space ahead of them would be bad enough to hit them. I was incorrect.
If for instance back in the day before the covid break, you hung out in a DMV line for a while you would have a better idea of what you up against on these streets.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

I don't think I'd use my crashers that way, but my would-be Speed Racer stance looks a little like this:
Same stance with the bars but foot placement is even further back.

If you look at a shot of the crash bars from the rear you really see how they help prevent against door dings and other bumps such as shopping carts etc when parked.
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
My dealer had a set of used crash bars for sale in mint condition, so I finally bought some.

They're broken in now: scraped the right side in 3 different corners on the first day. Didn't realize I'd been cornering that hard.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
My dealer had a set of used crash bars for sale in mint condition, so I finally bought some.

They're broken in now: scraped the right side in 3 different corners on the first day. Didn't realize I'd been cornering that hard.
Those are scrapes of pride my friend and the good kind
OP
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Those are scrapes of pride my friend and the good kind
Absolutely.
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
UTC quote
Clap emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0215s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0083s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]