@scooter10s avatar
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black

Hooked
@scooter10s avatar
2001 ET4 150 Red, 2010 GTS 300 Volcano Black, 2013 BV 350 Silver/Black
UTC quote
That's a great description of the joys of riding a PTW vs. an auto, especially the sensitivity to "smells" and "feeling micro-climates" that you can never sense riding in an auto.
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
Happiness is a full tank, an open road and a blue sky!
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Well... as any modern Vespa rider will attest: "twist & go" is essentially an automatic. Some of us spent decades shifting, and are over that. Oh, if necessary, I can still do it, but I don't need it for the two-wheel experience.

And, that whole "just park out front" thing? I live in a relatively small town, but there aren't "always" motorcycle/scooter parking spots in front of any particular establishment. And, when in more populated areas, you still have to sometimes look for a good place to park.

But most of the rest of the article is a good description of why many of us ride. I had nine Harleys over the years, and "the t-shirt" is pretty accurate: If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
"For the most part, there is no such thing as an "automatic" motorcycle; all motorcycles are manual."

Tell that to my Honda NC700X DCT!

The article is a pretty good description of what its like to ride.

The smells aren't so great when you are riding behind a trash truck in the city. Razz emoticon
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
A number
A number of factual inaccuracies and oversimplifications, and seems to overlook ABS brakes and other electronic nannies as well.

I suspect riding on two wheels is more like flying than driving, you bank in turns (generating partial G's), control speed to adjust turn radius, need a much higher level of awareness. Not to mention additional dangers.

And on most bikes, more exposed to the airflow.

And +1 on the trash trucks. One of my favorite rides goes by the county landfill, and you can not only get stuck behind a garbage truck, but there are the ones that leave a wet trail of stinky liquid on the pavement. Ugh.

I most treasure the sense of isolation and aloneness. My favorite rides are on generally deserted 2-lane country highways, so also a form of communing with nature, albeit at speed.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Strick wrote:
"For the most part, there is no such thing as an "automatic" motorcycle; all motorcycles are manual."

Tell that to my Honda NC700X DCT!

The article is a pretty good description of what its like to ride.

The smells aren't so great when you are riding behind a trash truck in the city. Razz emoticon
Or a livestock trucking the country.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
The sensation of free movement
I am not the first to equate two wheeled riding to both flying and sailing.

I have not piloted a small aircraft, but I absolutely love riding and sailing.

Our common bond, free wheeling and danger.

Bob Copeland
Lake Wobegon Minnesota
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Being more present: physically (scents, temperature...) and mentally (having to be alert, sensory feelings...)

Yeah, somehow the text feels both right and wrong at the same time.

Gears are funny. On one hand, I don't need them either. If Santa brings me an Africa Twin, and a ladder with which I can climb up to the seat, I'd choose the DCT box. Then again, I do admit I often felt a bit funny sitting on a Vespa, like my feet were somehow reduntant. Still, riding Vespa was definitely as fun as riding a geared bike. Just different.

I like the analogy with flying: once and awhile a fast-paced series of twisties makes a bike feel almost weightless - literally, it feels like there's absolutely no physical resistance when you turn in, especially at the precise moment you'll change direction. It's like you'll fly, or dive into the curve. Or then it's just me who feels like this
@etres avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTV 300 ABS

Hooked
@etres avatar
2016 GTV 300 ABS
UTC quote
Re: The sensation of free movement
Bob Copeland wrote:

Our common bond, free wheeling and danger.

Bob Copeland
Lake Wobegon Minnesota
I own and fly a small two-seat plane, and I've noticed the analogous feeling between riding and flying. Both require attention to detail, there's a certain element of danger, and both conjure feelings of openness, freedom, and exhilaration.
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Re: The sensation of free movement
Bob Copeland wrote:

Wind whipping on the face, no matter the vehicle.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
Being more present: physically (scents, temperature...) and mentally (having to be alert, sensory feelings...)

Yeah, somehow the text feels both right and wrong at the same time.

Gears are funny. On one hand, I don't need them either. If Santa brings me an Africa Twin, and a ladder with which I can climb up to the seat, I'd choose the DCT box. Then again, I do admit I often felt a bit funny sitting on a Vespa, like my feet were somehow reduntant. Still, riding Vespa was definitely as fun as riding a geared bike. Just different.

I like the analogy with flying: once and awhile a fast-paced series of twisties makes a bike feel almost weightless - literally, it feels like there's absolutely no physical resistance when you turn in, especially at the precise moment you'll change direction. It's like you'll fly, or dive into the curve. Or then it's just me who feels like this
I agree in a geared bike is a different experience but I think that difference slips away a while after it becomes automatic. A little... it does still require more attention and there is something about slowly letting out the clutch, feathering it and then when you do pull it it in crunching down on the gears that is a great feeling. Mind you I'm on a Russian bike so it is literary crunching... Pull in the clutch and a hit with the heel of my boot and you can feel the bike jump. It can also be annoying though and when you get on a CVT it feels like freedom . I do a LOT of urban riding and believe me my left hand feels it sometimes. Some brands like BMW have pretty much made it idiot proof though and changing the gears more a nod to tradition.

All that aside riding, just riding is a great feeling and honestly my mental escape. With the kitted Vespa, a BMW 650 and the Ural I think I have a great mix of experiences. This site is funny as we are a mix of riders that have only even been on a 50CC scoot and those of us that have ridden the gambit and the experience of riding a key part of our lives. It makes for an interesting mix...
@flanderswasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTS 300ie

Addicted
@flanderswasp avatar
2014 GTS 300ie
UTC quote
I agree. For me a motorcycle is the only thing you actually and constantly really ride. I might include a bicycle, but that's not half as dangerous (unless you're completely wasted). Riding a GTS swift, or say hard, as I like to do, needs your brain to be "in the zone". Every second counts, so every second is a joy.
OP
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
I agree in a geared bike is a different experience but I think that difference slips away a while after it becomes automatic. A little... it does still require more attention and there is something about slowly letting out the clutch, feathering it and then when you do pull it it in crunching down on the gears that is a great feeling. Mind you I'm on a Russian bike so it is literary crunching... Pull in the clutch and a hit with the heel of my boot and you can feel the bike jump. It can also be annoying though and when you get on a CVT it feels like freedom

Shifting isn't just about changing gears. You have to be in tune with the engine, hearing if it's spinning too fast or too slow. You also have to be aware of the upcoming road and whether it will require a shift to maintain speed.

On my Helix replica your left side is just along for the ride. Both brakes and the throttle are on the right side and the CVT determines how to cope with conditions. I still have to be aware of danger but turns only require moving the bars.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
I agree in a geared bike is a different experience but I think that difference slips away a while after it becomes automatic. A little... it does still require more attention and there is something about slowly letting out the clutch, feathering it and then when you do pull it it in crunching down on the gears that is a great feeling. Mind you I'm on a Russian bike so it is literary crunching... Pull in the clutch and a hit with the heel of my boot and you can feel the bike jump. It can also be annoying though and when you get on a CVT it feels like freedom

Shifting isn't just about changing gears. You have to be in tune with the engine, hearing if it's spinning too fast or too slow. You also have to be aware of the upcoming road and whether it will require a shift to maintain speed.

On my Helix replica your left side is just along for the ride. Both brakes and the throttle are on the right side and the CVT determines how to cope with conditions. I still have to be aware of danger but turns only require moving the bars.
True, but I guess what I meant is after a while that stuff becomes automatic, you just do it. So yeah it is just changing gears but you do need to think about it. You do become more one with the engine for sure and the bike . Still a CVT is a blast and both more and less fun at the same time if that makes any sense?
OP
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Still a CVT is a blast and both more and less fun at the same time if that makes any sense?

It's why I have both in the garage.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
Still a CVT is a blast and both more and less fun at the same time if that makes any sense?

It's why I have both in the garage.
And I'll have to add - the clutch needs to be light. Having used to how modern clutches (and some older too) feel, it's a chock to ride a bike where it feels you would need two hands to comfortably disengage the clutch.

This is a single character that is enough for me to decide againt a bike. Otherwise nice, but too heavy clutch... at the shop it stays. Fortunately quite rare nowadays.

If the clutch is light enough, i.e. you don't really pay attention to using force while operating it, I can tolerate more personality on how it works. For a well known example, I can't say I'm a big fan of the Moto Guzzi V7's very vague feeling clutch. Still, that alone would not be a show stopper as the clutch is very light at the same time.

Autoshifters and such are fine... althought they are mostly wasted in my ( mostly) relaxed riding style, seldom in a hurry to choose a gear It was actually funny, that when I had a rental BMW in Spain the last spring, it took me a few days to notice/remember it had the assisted shifter
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
List
The Royal Enfield has a heavy clutch, gear shifter a hard seat and no real brakes to speak of but when you get them all right its so rewarding.

The connection ( when you feel it ) is quite visceral so it's worth it.

I swear to you it's actually alive.

The Kymco is so capable. It's fast, assuring and breeds confidence which oddly enough make it a bit uninvolving at times.

On the Benelli everything is light, throttle, clutch, gears which are matched with amazing brakes which once again give you great faith in your own abilities to ride it to it's maximum.

Plus it's really funny which is priceless.

Bill x
@kabarash avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]

Molto Verboso
@kabarash avatar
'08 Gunuine Buddy 150 St Tropez 'Simon' '04 Honda Metropolitian 'Archie' [Sadly had to trade it away ;-( ]
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Strick wrote:
Or a livestock trucking the country.
Don't forget the tractor pulling a manure spreader.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0235s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]