OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
I have a matte black BV 350 and thinking about changing the color for visibility to either the 2020 matte silver or gloss white. What are your thoughts? Also open to other color suggestions...

Thanks in advance
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
That's a good an excuse as any to upgrade. But personally I'd just buy a high vis jacket.

I recently switched from a black LX to a white Primavera. Too soon to tell if it'll cut down on the smidsy encounters.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
In my opinion, very little of a scooter's color shows from behind, where you need it most. It's mostly black tires, dark seat, and whatever the rider is wearing. I think you'd get the most from some hi-viz gear. Unless, of course, you don't like matte black.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Put on some Hi-vis reflective striping on the wheels, fairing tank, etc... Any color would work with matte black. There was a post on here recently where the OP did up his helmet, looked good.
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 HPE

Hooked
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Smidsy.

Good word.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
In my opinion, very little of a scooter's color shows from behind, where you need it most. It's mostly black tires, dark seat, and whatever the rider is wearing. I think you'd get the most from some hi-viz gear. Unless, of course, you don't like matte black.
Wear a white helmet.

For those from the correct era and country will remember "Wear something white at night" but it also holds true in the daytime.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Actually, the leading cause, and 85% IIRC are caused by things in front of you according to the US Gov-commisioned "Hurt Report, officially Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures". It was a motorcycle safety study conducted in the United States, initiated in 1976 and published in 1981.The report is named after its primary author, Professor Harry Hurt. Its worth reading through the summary.

Solid, bright colors are best for getting attention of drivers. I wear a green safety vest and a hi viz helmet.

This is worth a watch if you haven't seen it: Drivers just don't see us.They are looking for other things and many times we just don't filter through to their consciousness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

Best
Miguel
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
Your cheapest upgrade is high visibility vest and a white helmet.

If you are going for a color change, the latest output from my Vespa Guru is this custom creation 300GTS in Lamborghini Yellow, offset with satin black trim and red highlights.

It is very visible in all light conditions !
⚠️ Last edited by Fudmucker on UTC; edited 1 time
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
Drivers just don't see us.They are looking for other things and many times we just don't filter through to their consciousness.
Why in California maybe one should look CHiP's-like and in other places like UK the "polite" jacket works. one has to look like something they are looking for?

Even looking like a clown might work
Clown emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Actually, the leading cause, and 85% IIRC are caused by things in front of you according to the US Gov-commisioned "Hurt Report, officially Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures". It was a motorcycle safety study conducted in the United States, initiated in 1976 and published in 1981.The report is named after its primary author, Professor Harry Hurt. Its worth reading through the summary.

Solid, bright colors are best for getting attention of drivers. I wear a green safety vest and a hi viz helmet.

This is worth a watch if you haven't seen it: Drivers just don't see us.They are looking for other things and many times we just don't filter through to their consciousness.

Best
Miguel
I'm now really worried. How many dancing bears have I unknowingly cut off?
⚠️ Last edited by znomit on UTC; edited 1 time
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
A two tone color scheme like this might work.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Bright
I'm with Znomit.

Easier to get a jacket that attracts attention rather than to repaint that sexy black.

Bill x
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
+1 on the H-Viz jacket and helmet (or white helmet).

When I made the switch (after a SMIDSY) I actually noticed drivers noticing me.

However, some drivers do look through you (cue Beatles song) no matter what you're wearing, so be vigilant at all times and don't assume that you are being seen.
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
I have a hi viz yellow helmet , vest and jacket. But I barely see my own reflection on the building glass as I ride by, I just see my hi viz gear. But you maybe right and that may be enough...
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
I am sorry for all the misunderstanding here. You were obviously working on this approach to convince your wife that you need a 2020 model. And you were going to point to this thread full of supporting evidence from riding experts. But we let you down! And now you've accepted that all you will be able to get out of this is a new vest. Crying or Very sad emoticon Razz emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
We need so me sort of code here.
WRT= Wife Reading Thread?
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
I myself don't like black. I painted Scoot Life dark cherry and the commuter Hi-viz green.
The cost is going to be high unless you DIY. If you pay someone to do it, they will maximize their profit and paint over the existing paint. A process of scuffing the paint and painting over it. I sanded the panels to bare plastic before painting.
If you do paint it, do a lot of research Nerd emoticon Nerd emoticon Nerd emoticon
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
LOL...we should have a "convince the wife thread". I just bought the BV, it's a 2016 with 325 miles on it, so I am not looking for an upgrade because the new bikes have 30hp and mine has 33hp. Love it so far but the invisible matte black scares me a bit on the road with all those people texting, eating, not wearing their glasses etc. while driving...
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
OP- if you don't do your own paintwork it might be easier dollar wise to sell and buy another color. Either way in the end it's not justified for visibility. Always on driving lights and improved brake light setup plus a visibility vest make more dollar wise sense.
The front thing already stated is it. Failure to yield right away or pull out accidents are the main type, not simply being seen. I have it AL visibility wise and they still text and talk and run around in a me first fog. They will look right at you and pull out anyway. There alos the red light people now who don't care who's involved or what they look like, they just blast through.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
The front thing already stated is it. Failure to yield right away or pull out accidents are the main type, not simply being seen. I have it AL visibility wise and they still text and talk and run around in a me first fog. They will look right at you and pull out anyway. There alos the red light people now who don't care who's involved or what they look like, they just blast through.
All true.

Maximize your visibility anyway.

Keep your head on a swivel.

Look ahead and anticipate what drivers might do and be ready for it.

Be aware of road conditions.

Be careful out there.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
It's also OK to enjoy riding. The advice here is good but my God you can't ride in constant gear otherwise don't ride. Do whatever you feel works for you but I still stand by my theory that the absolute BEST defence is advanced rider training. I'll take that and wear pure black on a black bike any day over a glowing bike and bright vest and helmet. I just know there are people here that fret over visibility and will not ride if there is a cloud in the sky that have not taken a single course outside of what was required for licensing. No I'm not calling any one out including the OP. It's great to want to be visible but don't neglect training and remember enjoy riding.
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
It's also OK to enjoy riding. The advice here is good but my God you can't ride in constant gear otherwise don't ride. Do whatever you feel works for you but I still stand by my theory that the absolute BEST defence is advanced rider training. I'll take that and wear pure black on a black bike any day over a glowing bike and bright vest and helmet. I just know there are people here that fret over visibility and will not ride if there is a cloud in the sky that have not taken a single course outside of what was required for licensing. No I'm not calling any one out including the OP. It's great to want to be visible but don't neglect training and remember enjoy riding.
You make a good point, I have taken the safety courses too. But the thought of a car or SUV coming at you with a distracted driver at the helm is unnerving for anyone
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I certainly don't ride in a burdensome, "worry wort mentality", but I do tell myself to be careful & alert every time I get on. It's worked for me since 1963, knock on wood. The odd's are less than ideal though.
No fender benders on a PTW.
Anything short of a loud speaker blasting away and lights a blazing is mostly a waste.
Surely most of you have noticed how that driver who pulls in front of you will take on a "tunnel vision" posture such as no eye contact, head pointed stiffly ahead through their turn, (perhaps in some weird way) which makes it somehow OK. Once they decide to go! all the paint and other stuff is a waste.
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
Re: BV 350 color change question - For visibility
Budz wrote:
I have a matte black BV 350 and thinking about changing the color for visibility to either the 2020 matte silver or gloss white. What are your thoughts? Also open to other color suggestions...

Thanks in advance
Budz, you gotta show us the pics of the black matte BV! Not the boring silver scoot!
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:

Thanks in advance
Budz, you gotta show us the pics of the black matte BV! Not the boring silver scoot!
Here you are...
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:

Thanks in advance
Here you are...
Where? I just see a wall???
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Budz wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:

Thanks in advance
Here you are...
that's funny...
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
znomit wrote:
Budz wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:

Thanks in advance
Here you are...
that's funny...
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Miguel wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:

Best
Miguel
I'm now really worried. How many dancing bears have I unknowingly cut off?
You ARE the dancing bear!!
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
In Soviet Russia bear dances for you.
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:

Thanks in advance
Here you are...
She is...how do you say... beeeautiful. If it's any consolation, I wrapped by BV (it was the pearl white) and now it's a military green. I did struggle with changing to a different level of "visibility" but I always drive defensively, assume the other person doesn't see me, doesn't care. And yeah, hi Viz stuff. I'm also going to throw on the rim reflectors, possibly some yellow reflective "piping" so I'm seen at night. The wraps are nice because you can always "undo" them, go back to the original, or wrap them in something else.

Keep us posted!
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:

Thanks in advance
Here you are...
She is...how do you say... beeeautiful. If it's any consolation, I wrapped by BV (it was the pearl white) and now it's a military green. I did struggle with changing to a different level of "visibility" but I always drive defensively, assume the other person doesn't see me, doesn't care. And yeah, hi Viz stuff. I'm also going to throw on the rim reflectors, possibly some yellow reflective "piping" so I'm seen at night. The wraps are nice because you can always "undo" them, go back to the original, or wrap them in something else.

Keep us posted!
Thanks you. Your warp encouraged me to changed the color of the bike yet be able to return to the original color.
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:

Thanks in advance
Here you are...

Keep us posted!
Thanks you. Your warp encouraged me to changed the color of the bike yet be able to return to the original color.
Thanks, Budz! If I change my mind again, it'll be nice to just peel it off. Now, just trying to get it ready for winter. Breaking my own heart... I hate to put it away.
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Budz wrote:
znomit wrote:
Budz wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Budz wrote:

Thanks in advance
Here you are...
that's funny...
LOL...love it!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0368s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0173s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]