UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
I am flummoxed.

Vehicle is a 2010 Vespa GTS 300 with 12,000 miles. Has Dr.Pulley sliders, Malossi shocks front and back. Pickup is very good engine isn't sluggish top speed has been around 81-82mph.
Checklist to make sure I am doing everything recommended to get decent mileage:-

1. Don't have any windshield on.
2.Air Filter cleaned
3.Oil changed.
4.Spark plug changed.
5.Using 93 Octane gas and changed to 91 as well.
6.Tire pressure is correct and even tried 5% over the recommended pressures.
7.Tried sea foam engine treatment as well.

Still dont get anywhere close to the mileage people report.I barely get 75-90 miles on 2 gallons of gas. Most of it is city stop go traffic rarely do I get to go above 40mph, in NYC unless posted speed limit now is 25mph and we have been adding more speed cameras.

Any advice on what maybe going on, how to fix it and or is it just the way it is.
UTC

Hooked
Stella

Hooked
Stella
UTC quote
Please explain your method for calculating miles/gallon.

I've seen this complaint across multiple vehicles. They all have a common technique.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
I'll add - not once have I managed to put 2 whole US gallons in either of our GTSs, not even when I did 55 miles with the light on (but then I did ride that very sedately...).
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
The last time I let the tank go empty as I generally never have gotten more than 1.9 Gallons when filling up. Let it go to empty pushed it to the BP gas station on 4th Ave in Brooklyn by Carrol Street.
Filled up 2 gallons in all.
Noted the mileage on the speedometer and I have completed 47 miles thus far and the light came on. I am guessing there is about a gallon of gas left in the tank. But I will say I have never gotten even close to 3 digits on the miles travelled on a full or 4/5 full tank even.
Either the mileage I get is about 45-50 miles per gallon and I should be fine with that or Im doing something wrong or there is an issue on the vehicle I should resolve.
@gotmojo avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300, BV250

Hooked
@gotmojo avatar
GTS 300, BV250
UTC quote
Re: Gas Mileage not working out all normal things checked ou
baba12 wrote:
Any advice on what maybe going on, how to fix it and or is it just the way it is.
Check your injector for cracks or a bad seal. It's possible that you're running really, really rich. You should be able to smell gas while the bike is running if this is happening.

I had an issue with my BV where the screw holding the injector bracket was loose and was allowing air to get in. If your model doesn't have the protection bracket around the injector, it may have been damaged by the seat.

Run the bike and spray some carb cleaner around the injector. If there's a leak, the rate or character of your idle will change as the liquid temporarily plugs the hole.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
For what it's worth, I usually get less than 50mpg on my GT200. I know it's carbureted vs yours FI, but I've read many times on MV that the fuel mileage is similar.

Just mentioning this because I ride in what sounds like similar conditions: bad stop and go traffic (downtown Toronto); commute of 4 miles each way.

Whenever I get out of the city for a proper ride, my fuel economy jumps noticeably (more like 60-70mpg). So you need to get away for a long ride to test your bike... for science!
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Under the conditions you are using the bike the fuel economy sounds not too far off the mark. One thing, you have a 9.2 litre fuel tank. Something is wrong if you run out of fuel and can only get 1.9 US gallons in it. You are not fully filling your tank.

I'd recommend "brimming" the fuel tank so you can see the fuel level in the neck of the tank when the bike is upright and standing on its centre stand. Record your odo miles. Ride your bike for a hundred miles then refil your tank "brimming" it again. Record how much fuel you put in. Then divide your miles by the amount of fuel used, eg: 100 miles divide by 1.5 gallons or whatever it is.. You will then have a fairly accurate measure of your miles per gallon covered.

Your mpg's won't be great like everyone else gets if you are mostly driving in NYC. Most of the time your bike won't even be running in an optimal gear range. And low speed stopnstart riding kills mpg.

By the way, a midrange screen will improve both mpg and top speed in normal riding. It does this by directing airflow up and around you causing less drag. It may not make much difference though if riding in predominately slow city traffic.
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
No gas smells. I will follow the other advice and report back.
It has been raining the last two days and I have not yet fixed the rust under the floor boards so avoiding wet weather to ride.
Thanks for all the good advice.
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Scarabeo 500

Hooked
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
UTC quote
Stormrider is dead on! On mine, I've tried many different riding positions, windscreen positions, etc. My commute is roughly 35miles each way and if there is more stop/go, MPG suffers immensely. I have a Scarabeo 500 and if I don't get stuck in stop/go traffic, I get anywhere between 65-70mpg. Once I hit traffic, my MPG goes to 60mpg or worse. I can normally get 235miles out of a full tank. My tank is 3.9US gallons, but when I fill up, it usually takes 3.7 to fill it to the top of the neck.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0149s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0055s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]