OP
UTC

Mp3 500

Mp3 500
UTC quote
My friend on his new to him Vespa broke off the nut section of a sparkplug while trying to change the plug. As you know this on the side of the engine and hard to get to. Any suggestions besides take it to a shop? No shops here. thanks Jim
UTC

Addicted
BV 350

Addicted
BV 350
UTC quote
How?
Not sure how you do that, unless you are turning it the wrong way or twisting it sideways.

At this point you are almost sure to have some bits down in the cylinder, so if it was mine I'd pull the head. Soak the threads in your favorite penetrating oil for a day or two, take a punch and knock the remaining insulator out of the sparkplug jacket, and use a bolt extractor to remove the remaining part.

If you want to be super careful, get a thread chaser at your local auto parts store and clean up the threads before putting in a new plug. Put on a dab of anti-seize if the plug doesn't come with one.

And, of course, clean any insulator bits out of the cylinder.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
UTC quote
Fairly close to Toronto West owners home in Ontario? Just a thought if the friend doesn't know what to do.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Personally, I'd want to look at the job before giving advice.

You/we need to know:

1. Did all the ceramic insulator come out with the rest of the insulator?

2. If not, how big are the missing pieces? Mostly, irrespective of their size, any bits that are missing will have dropped into the cylinder so you need to remove the cylinder head.

It's nearly always safer to take the head off and do this on the bench. Actually no need to put it on the bench, let the engine stand on the bikes centre stand when it's out of the bike, its easy. That way you can be certain that nothing is sitting in the cylinder waiting to cause havoc when you do re-start the bike. It's an easy job to take the head off these bikes once you have dropped the engine out. But if you can answer the question above in the positive and know that everything came out with the broken insulator, then doing the job in situ is going to be ok if you are careful. Good luck with this and report back if you will on how you overcome your issue.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0107s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0033s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]