OP
UTC

Lurker
GTS Supertech

Lurker
GTS Supertech
UTC quote
Hi there, I have about 60 miles on my new Supertech and it's making a loud whining noise coming from the front behind the horn cover. It almost sounds like a loud over working computer fan. Anyone else having this issue?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
It's the fan. No worries.
OP
UTC

Lurker
GTS Supertech

Lurker
GTS Supertech
UTC quote
Should I be worried about the heat coming from inside the dash?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
No. A GTS is water cooled, with the radiator and fan in the leg shield behind the front wheel. There are vents in the side of the leg shield to let the heat out.

The fan often comes on when the scooter is idling and not moving. That's normal operation.
OP
UTC

Lurker
GTS Supertech

Lurker
GTS Supertech
UTC quote
Thanks! Saves me a trip to the dealer.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
You should read your owners manual. There's lots of stuff in there about checking oil and coolant levels, tire pressure, brakes, etc. that's important for your safety and the long life of your scooter.

Ride safe & have fun! 8)
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
Re: 2020 GTS Supertech fan noise
BalsamicVespone wrote:
Hi there, I have about 60 miles on my new Supertech and it's making a loud whining noise coming from the front behind the horn cover. It almost sounds like a loud over working computer fan. Anyone else having this issue?
The fan can be on moving or stationary. It should not be on all the time. It cycles on and off with the temperature of the coolant.

I am not knowledgeable on the Supertech. There maybe a cooling fan associated with the the high tech dash board.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
In reality the fan shouldn't be coming on very much unless it's a very hot day and you are in a lot of traffic going slowly. MAKE SURE TO CHECK YOUR ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL.

The coolant level of course should be ok if the dealer has checked it correctly during the pre-delivery inspection. But I've had several new bikes come in with low coolant causing the bike's fan to operate too much. This can be bad for the engine if the level is low for a long length of time.

Check your owners manual to see how to check the level. It's important.
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
UTC quote
+1 - read the manual and check the coolant level. And my 2015 uses a very specific coolant (Eni) per Piaggio's recommendation... I try to fill it only with that coolant, but one shop used Motul which seemed to work fine.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Yes, any OAT based Ethylene Glycol based coolant meeting the specs laid down in the owners manual will work fine. I think the ENi is hard to get in lots of places.
@jamisea avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Three, count 'em-three, Vespa 300s a bunch of other scooters.

Enthusiast
@jamisea avatar
Three, count 'em-three, Vespa 300s a bunch of other scooters.
UTC quote
I see you live in AZ. Your cooling fan will come on a bunch. I live in FL. I hate the cooling fan in the summer. I ride my Monkey mostly in the summer. I wish I could fabricate a scoop to aim the hot air off of my legs. However, it's great in the winter!
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Good point about the OP living in Arizona. My fan comes on all the time in the summer when it's 95 degrees Fahrenheit and it's not moving (i.e. a drive-thru window or a very long traffic light). Since the weather cooled down in Connecticut, it really hasn't come on at all, except for when I let it idle for 10 minutes after a coolant change (intentionally to test that it would come on).
UTC

GTS 300 Super

GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Just a point on the operating temperature of the Supertech - compared to all my previous GTs(3) and GTSs(2) it runs a lot hotter so I wouldn't be too surprised on the fan coming on more frequently either.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@dillinger avatar
UTC

@dillinger avatar
UTC quote
HPE Super Tech 2020
Message edited, please see below.

I added a video that nobody can see, which is not much use is it? Lol.

Anyway ... hello
⚠️ Last edited by Dillinger on UTC; edited 3 times
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
its very noticeable when the radiator fan turns on. its REALLY loud. scared me the first time too. if its hot, or youre in start and stop traffic without air flowing into the vent to cool it, it will turn on... then it should turn it self off after a few minutes..

anyone know if theres a way to make the fan quieter? its almost like embarrassingly loud, lol...
@dillinger avatar
UTC

@dillinger avatar
UTC quote
Hummus2 wrote:
its very noticeable when the radiator fan turns on. its REALLY loud. scared me the first time too. if its hot, or youre in start and stop traffic without air flowing into the vent to cool it, it will turn on... then it should turn it self off after a few minutes..

anyone know if theres a way to make the fan quieter? its almost like embarrassingly loud, lol...
So when you watch the video, do you think that sounds about right?
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
Dillinger wrote:
Hummus2 wrote:

im unable to watch videos on this site for some reason, just gives me an error. without a link i cant them unfortunately
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Dillinger wrote:
Hummus2 wrote:

We can't watch it if we're using Chrome as a browser (which most people are).

Read this:

MV PSA and general housekeeping-

Please read ALL of the forum announcements before posting.
@dillinger avatar
UTC

@dillinger avatar
UTC quote
Hi guys,

Sorry for bumping an older thread. I am a soon-to-be Vespa owner living in Vietnam. Great country and very, very cheap.

. . . . .

I am searching for a new / used Super Tech and came across this bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98MudtlyPtM

I live in Vietnam and I know that the fan makes noise to cool the bike, but in this walkaround (obviously, I will go see the bike if all is good) the fan sounds VERY noisy to me.

It does get hot here, it was 34 C (93 F) and the bike was idle, not after a hot run.

What do you guys think? Am I being overly critical?
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
Dillinger wrote:
Hi guys,

Sorry for bumping an older thread. I am a soon-to-be Vespa owner living in Vietnam. Great country and very, very cheap.

. . . . .

I live in Vietnam and I know that the fan makes noise to cool the bike, but in this walkaround (obviously, I will go see the bike if all is good) the fan sounds VERY noisy to me.

It does get hot here, it was 34 C (93 F) and the bike was idle, not after a hot run.

yeah thats what i have, i have a 2020 gts 300, if it gets too hot, the fan comes on and it sounds exactly like this.its loud and it cools the bike. i wish it wasnt so loud tho...

it should shut off by itself..
@dillinger avatar
UTC

@dillinger avatar
UTC quote
Hummus2 wrote:
Dillinger wrote:
Hi guys,

. . . . .

yeah thats what i have, i have a 2020 gts 300, if it gets too hot, the fan comes on and it sounds exactly like this.its loud and it cools the bike. i wish it wasnt so loud tho...

it should shut off by itself..
Ah thanks, man. The wife will hate that. I guess I will be going for the GTS 150 ... unless that has another problem.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
jamisea wrote:
I see you live in AZ. Your cooling fan will come on a bunch. I live in FL. I hate the cooling fan in the summer. I ride my Monkey mostly in the summer. I wish I could fabricate a scoop to aim the hot air off of my legs. However, it's great in the winter!
Which, of course, you don't get the chance to experience we Nor'Easterners do.

There are those weird circumstances when one might experience the fan coming on briefly: a few weeks back, I was stuck in the usual late-morning stop-and-go on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, and the fan came on twice, albeit briefly, even though the air temperature was in the low-50s (F). (This was just after the bike had her major makeover, including fluids.)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0172s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0098s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]