@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
As the title states, I'm looking to add an aux tank to my GTS for Cannonball. It needs to be easily installed and easily reversed. I've scoured older threads here on MV and elsewhere on the web, and hoping I can get definitive guidance from the experienced folks here.

I'm planning a simple gravity feed solution, with the tank on my rear rack. I plan to remove my top case for the SCR. I've found a 2.25 gallon (there is also a larger 3.5 gal) aux tank with vented cap and outlet for a vent tube as well.

I would like to be able to control the flow of gas from the Aux tank with an inline valve (like a reserve switch) and plumb to a 90 degree elbow fitted to a drilled gas cap on the main tank. Fuel would flow from the Aux tank to the Main tank through the modified cap. An inline quick-disconnect would allow me to disconnect the end with the modified cap to allow for refueling of the Main tank.
The vent tube from the Aux tank would connect to the Evap canister via T-connector in the existing evap line.

My primary concern: is this too simple a design? As the fuel level in the Main tank drops, will this impede the flow of fuel from the Aux tank?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Think you may have to leave the Aux vent open to environment.
Give it a try.
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super
UTC quote
I am far from any expert but just a thought on pressures. The aux tank is metal, will be mounted out in the sun and getting warm. This would cause some expansion and pressure increase in tank, although small but since the fuel tank is plastic and not exposed, could the aux tank back pressure the main tank with a negative effect on fuel delivery?
@wmak avatar
UTC

Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon

Moto Giro Titan
@wmak avatar
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon
UTC quote
Not sure if Bagel aka Tom Donahue is on this forum, but he has ridden to hell and gone more than once on his GTS, and he has an aux tank in the top case. It would be worthwhile to pick his brain.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Quote:
is this too simple a design?
Looks relatively complex to me. Fuel cannot transfer from the auxiliary tank unless it is vented so I would only have one valve for venting the aux. tank.
Ride scooter until fuel gauge shows xx% level or the fuel light blinks then simply open the vent and the fuel will flow into the main tank and then show on the fuel gauge. The rate of flow between the aux . and main tank is irrelevant as long as the fuel line is normal size.
If you have a aux. tank larger than the main then shut off the fuel when the main tank shows yy% or full.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
Did this in 2012, 5 gallons, kept the weight low with a custom mount, worked great.
The fuel was plumed *THRU* the left rear fender(The valve at the end of the yellow fuel line.) as shown in the first photo to the underside of the main fuel tank and both vent lines tied together.
7.4 gallons will take you a long long way.
Could be for sale...
hidden...
hidden...
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
The way to do it. And it does not have to be completely full.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0135s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]