OP
@myros avatar
UTC

2005 GT200L

@myros avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
I thought I would do a little write up in case this is relevant to someone someday.

I recently bought a used scooter from a gentleman in North Carolina. The scooter in question had a rebuilt title, basically a vehicle that had been bought as salvage and been repaired. After I transported the scooter over to Virginia went to the DMV to have the title transferred over to me. The DMV told me that they are not allowed to work on rebuilt titles and that I had to send all the documentation over to their main offices in Richmond.

The documentation i sent was:
    -Original Title
    -Bill of sale
    -Completed Application for Title and Registration form VSA 17A at the time of this posting, and left the registration portion of the document blank
    - A check for $15 titling fee as of Feb 2020 this might change in he future
    - A check for the motor vehicle sales and use tax which is either 4.15% of the sale of the vehicle or $75 whichever is greater
I also sent for good measure but I believe was not necessary:
    - Proof of insurance
    - A copy of my drivers license
I sent everything to Richmond:
    Department Of Motor Vehicles
    Attn: Salvage Work Center/Room 311
    P.O. Box 27412
    Richmond VA 23269-0001
All documents I sent, except for driving license, were originals therefore i took pictures and copies of everything before sending.

The documentation got to Richmond on Feb 4th and my online DMV record showed the scooter to my name on Friday 28th so it basically took a little over 3 weeks.

I am now waiting for the title paperwork to be sent back to me so I can register the scooter.

I tried calling the DMV phone line once during the wait but I was not given any updates on the processing of the documentation and was told to wait at least 4 weeks. Also my checks have not yet been cleared with the bank, DMV online update to my record is the first indication that paperwork has gon through.

I hope this information helps someone in the future if retitling a vehicle with a rebuilt title or someone planning on buying a vehicle with a rebuild title

UPDATE:
As of Wednesday March 4th I still have not received the paper title back from the DMV. I was able to register the Vespa however at the DMV today, after calling them I learned that as long as your online record shows the vehicle you do not need the paper copy of the title to register and obtain license plates.
⚠️ Last edited by myros on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Addicted
Buddy 125, Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumphs, Vespa Sprint 150

Addicted
UTC quote
The vaginya DMV was the most problematic of any state I've ever lived in.

I mean commonwealth, not state

Good luck comrade.
OP
@myros avatar
UTC

2005 GT200L

@myros avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
Online record was updated on Friday, today Tuesday I am still waiting for the paper title to get to me....
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
They are just cracking down on scooter theft.

Once I sold a rebuilt Vespa to a person who had to go through the same royal pain in the ass.

Just be patient it's all going to be okay.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
Nope, ever since 911 Va has cracked down, all paper work must have i's dotted and T's crossed. One of the 911 terrorists acquired their drivers illegally through Va DMV, so now everything is harder at DMV.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
Nope, ever since 911 Va has cracked down, all paper work must have i's dotted and T's crossed. One of the 911 terrorists acquired their drivers illegally through Va DMV, so now everything is harder at DMV.
Yes you're right Sir. Even here in the middle of nowhere a trip to the DMV is always dreadful.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
I used to go to the satellite offices out in Berryville and Purcellville.

They were the only ones who were civil to deal with.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
fried okra wrote:
I used to go to the satellite offices out in Berryville and Purcellville.

They were the only ones who were civil to deal with.
I go to the one in Purcellville
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
My local clerk is both helpful and nary a line to wait. For the record I rebuilt salvage vehicles for many years as a sideline.. It was a sort of cottage industry in places like rural KY and other rural areas. Whe the Chinese began to buy up the salvage here in USA the landscape, i.e. prices changed plus I aged out on such work.
I've never had one issue selling or building such a car, paperwork wise.
Once the cars been rebuilt in KY you send in all parts invoices, describe all labor via a written narrative and a notarized statement from any other persons who performed work on the vehicle. I used others for frame work so got that form mostly the only one except alignments which I also farmed out.
Not one person I sold to had to prove anything all over again? That's the notion I get from the above? What did it say on the title?
Salvage, or rebuilt from salvage? Branded titles used to be sort of flaky from NC as they were to my knowledge one of the last states to go to whats called a "modern title" setup. Once upon a time salvage vehicles could be rebuilt properly at that, but then once the next tile came out it was "cleaned" thus not informative to the next owner as to what work had been done.
Properly rebuilt machines of any type are a great value with the first word of the sentence being the primary one, other than IF? that machine should have been rebuilt in the first place. A few states attempt to protect buyers via a rating system for wrecked or damaged vehicles with the worst of the lot not candidates for a rebuild. Honestly, some of those so called bad ones are easily repaired but kept from being available by insurance companies . The car dealer lobby is the primary culprit for messing with salvage of easily repaired vehicles as they lose a sale.
I have been to a DMV in NY and some other states which was a nasty experience!!! One of my sons we gave him a car and took 3/4th's of his work day to register it in Birmingham,. AL! I use ours all the time as close, fast and easy. The taxes is the part I hate. I go there for free notary service, forms, etc.. If they don;'t know they call the capital DMV folks.
OP
@myros avatar
UTC

2005 GT200L

@myros avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
Title I got from the seller in NC was branded as "Salvage Rebuilt"

I did not have to pass any inspection to have the scooter re-titled over to me, my new title has under section "Other Pertinent Data" the following: "IND REBUILT NC BRAND" so i guess it still tracks the fact that it was a rebuilt at one point.

I created the post because the process is different from standard title and slow and I wanted to help other people understand the process. Vehicle is working great and I was very happy with the price i paid no complaints there
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
An original rebuilt title process in KY would protect a buyer better than what you just described?
Reality tells us the original re-builder is the person who has all the documents which prove out the work and parts, not a buyer such as yourself, thus I see your states not serving much purpose.
The quality control is a weakness in any rebuild as there is little measure out there for worksmanship other than eyes of the beholder. FWIW, a knowledgeable buyer might ask a question as to if the rebuilder was certified, or not. Auto techs & auto body have certifications to be sought. Often seen on the office wall like a doc diploma.
All they had to do IMO, was brand your title sames as the one you already had from NC.'
In KY we don't have regular vehicle inspections at all, just out of state purchase VIN inspections for theft prevention of altered VIN #'s.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hey I am having the same issue now is being a month I haven't received no email or anything from them I am registering a salvage car that I bought from Texas.
You said you were able to check your status online how did you do it and also you said you just went to the dmv to register the scooter without no paperwork how
OP
@myros avatar
UTC

2005 GT200L

@myros avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
I did the Vespa and a truck since then, in both occasions I sent all paperwork to the DMV in Richmond. The way i would check is by logging into my DMV account online https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/ it took a while but eventually the Vespa and the truck showed up in the list of vehicles registered to me. Once the vehicle showed up in the DMV online the paperwork came in the mail a week later. Just as a side note i tried calling in but they were not able to give me an update over the phone, it took 4 weeks for the truck to show up on the DMV record. Good luck
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
Earlier this year, after I bought my '21 HPE, I received an email from AZ DMV informing me that the state could hold all vehicle titles online. A couple days later I got the paper title. You just can't tell what they'll do.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Florida does electronic titles on request. They seem like a good idea until you want to buy or sell a private party vehicle on the weekend.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0177s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0099s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]