@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
That's a great looking tail light and in good shape, good price. I like it much better than the plain one lens acorn types, you got lucky there! You also got lucky on those split plastic bushings that you're missing in your oddball split headset.

My Vespa neighbor has the same headset and has wizard home workshop equipment for making things from wood, plastic and metal. He made a couple prototypes from birch and an old plastic cutting board. When he found they worked fine, he knocked out SIX sets so if anybody out there is in need... I also have some other random parts for this weird headset, so if you are needy, just hit me up.
original
original
prototypes and production samples
prototypes and production samples
inventory
inventory
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
That's a great looking tail light and in good shape, good price. I like it much better than the plain one lens acorn types, you got lucky there! You also got lucky on those split plastic bushings that you're missing in your oddball split headset.

My Vespa neighbor has the same headset and has wizard home workshop equipment for making things from wood, plastic and metal. He made a couple prototypes from birch and an old plastic cutting board. When he found they worked fine, he knocked out SIX sets so if anybody out there is in need... I also have some other random parts for this weird headset, so if you are needy, just hit me up.
Terry, that is amazing!! How great to have these made. Looks like your Vespa neighbor did good work. I could really use a set, for my '58 Allstate VNA w/ split headset. Also, looking for a headlight chrome ring & reflector/glass; among other things. I need a few things for this ol Sears scooter, inlcuding an Allstate badge
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
GeekLion wrote:
V oodoo wrote:

Terry, that is amazing!! How great to have these made. Looks like your Vespa neighbor did good work. I could really use a set, for my '58 Allstate VNA w/ split headset. Also, looking for a headlight chrome ring & reflector/glass; among other things. I need a few things for this ol Sears scooter, inlcuding an Allstate badge
I still have the original headlight ring. It's a little beat up though. I'll message you some pics in a little bit.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:

I definitely would love to have a pair for my old Allstate! My split headset doesn't have them. I also didn't realize that there were supposed to be those things in there.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
FridayMatinee wrote:
GeekLion wrote:
V oodoo wrote:

I still have the original headlight ring. It's a little beat up though. I'll message you some pics in a little bit.
Awesome! thank you! Beatup is Ok with me. Doing a roughratty build, so that should work. Thanks!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
you can't get a good ground for long just wrapping the wires, a crimp ring connector on the stud if needed , but with a bit of sanding and testing for good contact your whole tail light housing is grounded at 1. You'll need one of those tiny round wire ends on a wire thru thru the insulator ring at 2 for running lights and same at 3 for brakes. Now viola, one end of your festoon bulb is well grounded and the other gets juice at the insulated end. Use some of that auto bulb lube/corrosion protection on your ground stud area under the washers and nut, and on your bulb ends once they work.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
blah blah blah, waiting for tiny parts to arrive is the worst, fiber spacer and sealing ring, shock buffer, new sip speedo cable since I boogered the crap out of mine along with the drive gear. Can't do much at all without them. Sigh.

UPS dropped the package off to the post office over a week ago and it still hasn't made it's way to me. Tracking number is useless since tracking just says it's at the post office for local delivery.

Terry- I did get the centerstand installed. I had to go back to the original way the mounts were when I got the scoot. With them resting on top of the support rail... only way it fits and works. It is what it is.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Update!

Package is now back in Atlanta for some unknown reason. Dunno why it was sent from Georgia via UPS then dropped at my post office where it sat for a week and then showed up in Atlanta?

Is the USPS drunk again?
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
I'd love a set of those plastic bushings Terry! I made a couple out of an old cutting board but they don't look near as nice as those.

Maybe you can bring them down when you come for a visit!
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
4 days later and it's left a different distribution center in Atlanta.

Thinking I'll get it in 2037 sometime at this rate.

All this for the fiber spacer and sealing ring and a shock buffer. I'm stuck in limbo till these get here. Dang it.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
well, I finally got that package and the speedo stuff wasn't the right ones.
Ordered the right ones from SIP themselves and got it yesterday. Took 2 weeks less to come from Germany than Georgia!

Speedo cable is backordered though so I won't have a speedo for a bit.

The new 0-rings and washers for the spring attachment should be here today.

I have exactly 31 days to finish this or else it won't get done till at least September. Just got the good (bad?) news that I'll be getting yet another shoulder replacement. Turns out all my arm issues were that my first shoulder replacement failed. So I get to go through it for a 3rd time now! USA USA USA! I've already replaced both shoulders, so 3rd time's a charm right? Bone dying disease are the pits yo.

Hoping I can bang this all out before surgery. Fingers crossed.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
And back to the drawing board. O rings aren't correct. Anyone have any old ones lying around?

Inside diameter of 17mm
Outer diameter of 22mm

They're flat on one side and rounded on the other. Can't seem to find them anywhere.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
The new 0-rings and washers for the spring attachment should be here today.
Where do these go? Are they sealing anything or just buffers? Try here, they have ALL kinds of them. https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings/oil-resistant-buna-n-o-rings-8/system-of-measurement~metric/width~2-500mm/
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
Where do these go? Are they sealing anything or just buffers? Try here, they have ALL kinds of them. https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings/oil-resistant-buna-n-o-rings-8/system-of-measurement~metric/width~2-500mm/
Spring attachment. The brass thingy that holds the lower part of the spring. I made it work with the ones I was sent, I assume they just hold grease in that brass part that the spring seats into. I do have one more question though regarding the sip speedo. Anyone know where the hell this part goes?
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
This is another great build , I really like the idea of adding the huge oil tank. That fork is going to be a way better ride now.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
This is another great build , I really like the idea of adding the huge oil tank. That fork is going to be a way better ride now.
Thanks Lynn!
Time will tell how annoying the tank size will be. There's not much room to store things in there now. But I guess so long as I can get a tool kit in and out that's really all I need it for. I can cram a sweatshirt or jacket in no prob too so I think it'll be okay.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Electric help needed, I think I have the engine wires right but I'm not 100% on it so figured I'd holler at you all and see. First I have the junction box and CDI. Red to red, white to white, then green to the blue and white for the kill switch a blue to blue and black to black yeah?

But what about the other wire branch that has the double green wire and black wire? Pics to follow.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Here's that other branch line. Where does it go?
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
And one more question. Brake switch. What side does the red and blue go on? Does it even matter? I assume it does.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Green and black are ground wires.
Is this a Vape?
If so, where is your regulator?

Do you have a voltameter handy? Helps a lot.
I figured everything out with a cheap voltameter and a AA battery with 2 leads.

You can put either-or in the brake switch. No worries there.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
Green and black are ground wires.
Is this a Vape?
If so, where is your regulator?

Do you have a voltameter handy? Helps a lot.
I figured everything out with a cheap voltameter and a AA battery with 2 leads.

You can put either-or in the brake switch. No worries there.
Yes it's the Vape. Regulator is inside the tank cavity. Secured with one of the cowl screws.
I'm not so good with electrics. Do the double green and black go with the regulator or grounded with it I mean? Or can I ground them anywhere?
Thanks for the help.A First time build is nerve wracking!
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
If you need help with the wiring harness, let me know. Which harness are you installing? I'm going to be mating a BGM harness to my DC Vape next week for the GL.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
If you need help with the wiring harness, let me know. Which harness are you installing? I'm going to be mating a BGM harness to my DC Vape next week for the GL.
I got the SIP conversion harness for my VNA. I'm gonna rewatch the video they have on their site but if I remember right it wasn't very detailed when I watched it before. Who knows, it may make more sense now that I have the engine in the frame!

Pretty sure I need a shock spacer to get the CDI away from the cowl. Won't close with it in currently. Just guessing by how far the cowl was from seating properly I'm about 2" shy. 41mm spacer is 1.6" so that checks out. And raising the frame up 41mm should allow the cowl to sit 41mm lower. I think. Or the CDI is just gonna have to find another place to stay?
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Couple 'a things:
Sorry, I didn't see that you got the SIP harness!
I thought their video explained things well, after several viewings.
At the end he bends the coil bracket. Maybe you can try that in order to fit it under the cowl.
The regulator is grounded to the chassis ( no ground wire needed for that).
Here's what I did ( see pic). That's not where the regulator is supposed to go, but it made things easier. The wires going to it are under some tension as the rear spring goes up and down.
I have notes to where all the wires go. Wire colors can't be relied on across different setups.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
Couple 'a things:
Sorry, I didn't see that you got the SIP harness!
I thought their video explained things well, after several viewings.
At the end he bends the coil bracket. Maybe you can try that in order to fit it under the cowl.
The regulator is grounded to the chassis ( no ground wire needed for that).
Here's what I did ( see pic). That's not where the regulator is supposed to go, but it made things easier. The wires going to it are under some tension as the rear spring goes up and down.
I have notes to where all the wires go. Wire colors can't be relied on across different setups.
Thanks, I went back and watched the video again, again.
Couple of issues.
1- the video is missing the branch I have with the double green wire and black wire. I have no idea what they are or where they go.
2- they don't hook any of the wires up in the video, so aside from running the loom in the frame it's useless for where I'm at now.

Wondering if I'm watching the wrong video now?

As for the bracket, I'm gonna try a shock spacer and see if that helps it clear the cowl.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
FridayMatinee wrote:
Thanks, I went back and watched the video again, again.
Couple of issues.
1- the video is missing the branch I have with the double green wire and black wire. I have no idea what they are or where they go.
2- they don't hook any of the wires up in the video, so aside from running the loom in the frame it's useless for where I'm at now.

Wondering if I'm watching the wrong video now?

As for the bracket, I'm gonna try a shock spacer and see if that helps it clear the cowl.
tape up your double green. If you are looking at the wiring diagram that came with this harness, you know this is the KILL wire,. the double green near the regulator/rectifier is there if you are running an ignition switch. Just tape it up.

Black at the junction will be a ground.

There is a long single colored wire (blue?) near headset. you can remove it-it's for a blinker system.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
For my GL, I decided to take a page from your playbook and put an oil tank in the glovebox like you did. Eventually, the motor will go side draft when I tagged it to the next level, but for now, I'm going to enjoy not having to pre-mix.

I found that Dorman tank on Amazon, so thanks for the idea and the pointer!
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
For my GL, I decided to take a page from your playbook and put an oil tank in the glovebox like you did. Eventually, the motor will go side draft when I tagged it to the next level, but for now, I'm going to enjoy not having to pre-mix.

I found that Dorman tank on Amazon, so thanks for the idea and the pointer!
Anytime!
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Today I finished up the wiring of the engine and the speedo power box. About to drop that tank in there tonight!

The headlight wiring is next. It has a double ground wire that's a spur off of the headlamp wires. I dunno where I'm going to ground that since there's no screws in the headset? Anyone else set up a SIP speedo in a VNA split headset? What did you do with that double ground?
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Engine done.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
Looking great and awaiting a video to hear/see it run!
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
UTC quote
Tidy install.
Very nice.
Couple things to consider.
1. Voodoo likes to shoe-goo parts like the regulator in place. No need for extra holes. You might get a rattle out of yours with the single bolt - so perfect place for this fix - or a second bolt. Benefit of the shoe goo would be vibration resistance. It just peals off when you want to remove it - acetone the surfaces before using tho if you decide to.
2. The brake switch - if you haven't experienced it yet - soldering wires to it will drive you crazy. It shouldn't matter which wire you put on which side. It just opens and closes a circuit.

- my favorite trick seen here has been someone epoxying or siliconing (shoe goo!) the wires in. the leads you have to solder to are so frail and unfriendly to get a good bond - I glue my wires in every time. Also insulates against water and other nasty stuff that could cause a short.

Loving this thread.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I was just thinking about where to locate the regulator/rectifier. I'm now thinking I can put it on the bolt that's going to secure the oil tank, with a big glob of shoe goo holding it in place.

I love it when a plan comes together.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Vader turned me on to Velcro tape for holding stuff in place without drilling holes. I scoffed initially ... until I tried it. It works! Has to be the "heavy duty" stuff though. The CDI in my smallie is Velcro'd to the the frame under the tank. Easy to take on and off and doesn't budge once it's in place. Great solution - makes for a nice, clean, and rattle-free installation.

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Industrial-Fasteners-Professional/dp/B00006IC2T/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=velcro%2Btape%2Bheavy%2Bduty&qid=1622596931&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Last night I was getting all done working on the scoot. Decided to have a seat, which I installed along with the gas tank. Sitting there then I hear a loud pop and one of the floor rail end caps comes flying past my face!

Guess that one wasn't installed fully! Have a few spare rivets so once my shoulder is replaced and I'm out of PT I'll give the ol hand peen a try. Will be nice to possibly be able to do that. We shall see though.
Definitely wasn't expecting to get shot at by a floor rail end cap last night!
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Tidy install.
Very nice.
Couple things to consider.
1. Voodoo likes to shoe-goo parts like the regulator in place. No need for extra holes. You might get a rattle out of yours with the single bolt - so perfect place for this fix - or a second bolt. Benefit of the shoe goo would be vibration resistance. It just peals off when you want to remove it - acetone the surfaces before using tho if you decide to.
2. The brake switch - if you haven't experienced it yet - soldering wires to it will drive you crazy. It shouldn't matter which wire you put on which side. It just opens and closes a circuit.

- my favorite trick seen here has been someone epoxying or siliconing (shoe goo!) the wires in. the leads you have to solder to are so frail and unfriendly to get a good bond - I glue my wires in every time. Also insulates against water and other nasty stuff that could cause a short.

Loving this thread.
No solder here. I clamped them in there as tight as humanly possible. Pulled as hard as I could on the metal flap to try and pull it off the wire. Those aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I hope anyways. Who knows maybe tomorrow that will come flying off past my face!
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Looking great and awaiting a video to hear/see it run!
Hoping to kick it over today! I need an exhaust bolt still, but I can rig something up to get the exhaust on just to kick the engine over at least.
OP
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Good news! It started!

Bad news, it took off like a banshee and in the time it took me to get to the kill switch it started making some wild knocking noises (wondering if that was more to do with the exhaust falling off though)

hit the kill switch

it laughs at me.

F. WHAT DO I DO??
Look back to pull the spark plug wire out, boy that's in there tight
oh shiiiiiiiiizzzzz the CDI looks like a thunderstorm, sparks flying out

get the plug pulled and it sputters to sleep.

I look at it and say, well shit, and turned around and went up to bed.

obviously a leak. When I turned the gas on some did come out the back side of the carb and onto the case. Wasn't an active drip just there was a little gas on the top of the case. I'll double check the carb box torque specs and double check that's right. I had to take it off to get the engine in the frame.

And may as well double check the rest of the nuts.

sigh. I'm bummed.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Oh, that's a bummer!

And moments like those, both the good and the bad, are part of why I always take video of First Starts.

And it wasn't just the idle set too high, maybe combined with a lean jetting?

(Another reason for the video. Jack will watch it and respond with exactly the information you need to get it dialed in )
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Oh crap, I almost passed out holding my breath taking in your every word, man o man o man.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.3121s ][ Queries: 44 (0.2122s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]