I still need to pinch myself to believe it's true. I have been searching for my next project and this is well... I mean it doesn't get any better does it?
From what I understand the engine is pretty much sorted, so the project will be mostly a cosmetic deep dive. While a full concourse resto is way over my head, I do believe the SS180 warrants being true to the og cosmetics, so color will be hawthorne, red, or pavone blue. I welcome your thoughts, comments and spitballs here.
A huge bonus in all this was yammering with Jess again via text. Miss him around here for sure.
I don't recall who said it... Ginch? Socal? '...We don't own these really, we are just their caretakers for a time'. So very true.
Hat tip again to Jess.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Added to make the thread more usable for others.
1. Page 1 - Lots of thanks and yucking it up with friends old and new
2. Page 1 Bottom - Minor cosmetics and gas tank discussion
3. Page 2 - Cleaning gas tank with electrolysis
4. Page 2 Bottom - Bent wheel rim
5. Page 3 - Leg shield crack and weld
6. Page 4- Finding more holes and some serious bondo
7. Page 4 Mid - Flywheel fin repair
8. Page 4 Bottom - Finding serious damage to nose and tail
9. Page 5 - Trying to save horncast braze and weld discussion
10. Page 5 Bottom - Fender work
11. Page 6- Rims
12. Page 7- Brazing horn
13. Page 7- Tail braze fuck up and weld
14. Page 7- Paint Discussion
15. Page 7 - Leg-shield dolly and hammer
16. Page 8 - Test fitting floor rails
17. Page 8 - Very important stapler discussion
18. Page 9 - Test fitting 044 leg-shield trim
19. Page 9 - Headlight bezel discussion
20. Page 9 - Flywheel removal cam and spacer broken
21. Page 9 Mid - SpeedoKing for the win (Speedometer resto)
22. Page 9 Bottom - NOS horncast received
23. Page 9 Bottom - grub screws for 044 discussed
24. Page 10 - Removing OG horncast and replacing with NOS
25. Page 11 - The undending wait for body/paint work
26. Page 11- Fucking Finally back from paint!!!
27. Page 12 -The Great Ham Bet of 2022 - and some stuff on steering races and a rails
28. Page 13 - Badges, races, chrome concerns, floor rails, ham
29. Page 14 - Chrome, tailight, trim, cables harness, hams
30. Page 15 - Blood sacrifice, 404 Grommet not found, body rubber, porcine
31. Page 16 - Lu dog supervises trimwork, Patrick solve electrical, ham defeat is eminent.
32. Page 17 - Electrical, Rear badge, 044, the tragedy of losing the great ham bet of 2022
33. Page 18 - Dayglow Abortions, Bentley appears, Mark lends a hand before neck surgery.
34. Page 19 - Headset Bolt and Capture Nut issues, make ready, first start, Ham!
35. Page 20 - No Ham. Kick start quad disasters...
36. Page 21 - Blown land on the circlip that hold the main bearing clutchside.
37. Page 22 - Repair details modifying cases to accommodate a bearing retainer
38. Page 22 - How to close cases on an SS 180
39. Page 22 - Piston OG, NOS, and aftermarket ...and Piston Rings on 62mm SS180
Last edited by Birdsnest on Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:48 am; edited 17 times in total