Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:59 pm

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:59 pm linkquote
How does the plastic cover over the steering bar come off?
I have removed every visible screw I can find and have the two button clusters removed. I need to remove it so I can replace a bent brake lever that got damaged when the bike tipped over.

I see that some of it is simply connected via clips that just pop apart. I looked through the Parts Piaggio page and diagrams but Im not seeing what is being missed.

I'm at a point where i don't want to risk breaking plastic trying to separate panels and so am stuck. I have read some notes that the center panel with the logo needs to be removed but not how to remove it.

What am I missing? A hidden screw or do I have to take something else apart first?

Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:55 pm

Addicted
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Addicted
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:55 pm linkquote
Use a heavy duty plastic pry tool such as for removing automotive trim to remove the center piece.
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:17 pm

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:17 pm linkquote
sbaert wrote:
Use a heavy duty plastic pry tool such as for removing automotive trim to remove the center piece.
Thank you. I see a variety of those on Amazon and some at the local O'Reilly store.

Is there a specific tool in the set or technique when using the tool to remove the center cover with the logo? I'm going to watch some YouTube on the basic usage of the tools as well. I already tried similar prying tools I already had and ended up just scratching and chipping the plastic a little. I want to be sure before I accidentally do something that might cause readily visible damage.
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 pm

Addicted
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Addicted
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 pm linkquote
There is a hidden slot in the middle of the center piece (facing you when seated).

Find the slot, push in gently and work the piece out gently. It is held in with spring clips
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:07 am

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:07 am linkquote
Mp3 handlebar plastic removal
The following is a rough sequence of plastic removal to expose the wiring and mechanical bits under the handlebar.

Thank you sbaert for the tip about the plastic-pry tool and where to use it. Without that tip I would had to go to a shop and have a pro do this.

The task was to replace a bent right-brake handle bar from when the bike fell over in my driveway. The left and right brake handles on the Mp3 are not interchangeable. The right side handle is part 1C000809, I scored a new one on Ebay at a reasonable price (still in OEM packaging) from Germany and it arrived after a month. The old brake-lever was bent but still serviceable and worked.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/performance-tool-4601/tools---equipment-16488/body-repair-16510/body---trim-tools-25197/body---trim-tools-25274/e50e3c2ef6b2/performance-tool-trim-removal-tool/w80648/4614535/2014/mazda/3?pos=2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-Genuine-Piaggio-1C000809-Bremshebel-Break-Lever/283684906866[/url]

Apply the automotive pry-bar here. Press firmly in and tilt upwards. The retaining hook is on the console side of the plastic cover. What you are doing when pushing in here is compressing the hook while changing its angle so it slips free.

This is what the underside of the 2016 Mp3 500ie Sport handle-bar logo cover looks like. Note The heavy-duty plastic clip and its placement on the console-side of the handlebar plastic.

Two screws on the underside of the plastic bar must be removed. These are about 3-4 cm long and are Philips head.

Two screws on the underside of the silver plastic control sections must be removed. These are about 1.5 cm long and are Philips head.

The exposed underside of the top part of the handlebar plastic covering. Note the clips around the perimeter. Those just detach with gentle pressure applied while squeezing and pulling apart (gently)

Inside of the 2016 Mp3 500ie Sport handlebar.

BLUE are things to unscrew to remove the upper plastic. Red is for the lower half. (two red near the silver plastic should be blue)

The bent right side brank handle that I'm trying to replace. Note the throttle cable guide tubes blocking access the large flat-head bolt. That bolt is about 3cm long and needs to lift up and out at an angle to be removed and release the brake-lever.

This is what the inside of your brake lever bracket and attachment point looks like. Note the brake lever is NOT directly connected to anything. Rather it pivots on that large bolt and presses against the switch for the ABS braking system.

Putting that bolt back in took awhile. getting it lined up while maintaining the lever in the correct position was hared.

It is threaded and does NOT just drop in, its must be turned while lined up to attach.

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:00 pm

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:00 pm linkquote
A couple of thoughts.

Did you loosen the two screws that clamp the brake assembly to the handlebar, so that you could rotate it all down and give yourself room to remove and replace the bolt that acts as the pivot for the brake handle? You can see the screw heads - two brass colored heads just to the right of the master cylinder and holding the half circle plate that clamps over the handlebar.

Before you put the things back together put some grease or even Vaseline on the clips that snap into place. They are much easier to undo the next time.

And cursing the designers who decided to run the throttle cable over the pivot screw is permitted, even necessary, in order to get the full Italian experience.
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:26 pm

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport

Hooked
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:26 pm linkquote
Yep. I loosened brake and throttle bolts just enough to access the bolt and remove it. Due to my lack of experience I was very careful about removing or loosening anything unless I knew I could re-tighten it. In the end a bit of oomf and grit got the thing back together.

Good tip about the grease, I didn't have any at the time but will apply some along with a more thorough cleaning next time I open it up.

I did indeed curse the genius who designed this thing with words that I cannot share here. Somewhere, an engineers ears were burning by the volume and severity of the language needed to undo so much plastic.

Weirdly. The replacement brake lever didn't fit right and the front-brakes refused to disengage. Somehow the replacement lever was applying pressure to the system and so I had to swap the old lever back on. I double checked it was a factory part (including the packaging it came in). Checked and re-checked the shape and size and that it was the correct (right side) lever and not a left-side lever. Everything was a perfect match for the old except a very small wear surface has just a tiny bit more metal on it than the old plate.

I have an appointment with the dealer later this month for the 18,000 service. I'm going to bring the old and new lever to see if they can figure out why the factory part doesn't fit.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:37 am

MP3 500 HPE 2019

MP3 500 HPE 2019

Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:37 am linkquote
Thanks for the help on this pesky plastic, actually no need to buy any special tools, just anything plastic or a flathead wide thin screwdriver with some tape on it, just put the screwdriver with tape on it or the plastic tool in the flat area in the front as you sit on the scoot, between the cover and the handlebar cover, and just twist a little left and right enough for the cover to start lifting, then just pull up slowly to release the two spring pins and release from the rear.

DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0345s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0081s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]