Nice color and great first paint job!
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 pm quote
Itís gonna be beautiful.
Enthusiast
Vespa 125 VMA, Vespa SS 180
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:09 pm quote
Paint job looks great! I like the plan for no trim.
VNB VSC VBC VSX
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:01 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
Also, I'm struggling on what to do about all the solid rivets on the floor rails and legshield badge. SIP are backordered on their rivet tool, and I could buy a rivet gun from Eastwood, but that seems like a lot of dosh for a tool I'll hardly ever use.
Proper drift/dolly and a ball peen hammer is all you need... And a thin magnet with a few holes drilled in it. Use the magnet to protect that slick, new paint, clip the rivet to size and peen over the excess while the drift holds the top in place. Easy work with a bit of time invested. I did the vnb in about 7 or 8 innings of baseball. (Practice on a sacrificial piece of similar metal first.)

Paint looks the snazz! Well done.
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:23 pm quote
I set out to tackle the floor rails today. SoCal loaned me MJRally's SIP rivet tool, but when I pulled the rails out to install them (I kept forgetting to check then before paint, if everyone will recall), I discovered they are for a P, so I have to order more rails. Bummer.

Instead, I got the front fork, linkage, and hub prepped for paint. I have a few other random parts that still need to get prepped, but that was still a decent amount of progress.

My big frustration now is that so many of the parts I need are backordered and overseas orders are taking close to a month to get to me. Also, SIP has added additional shipping charges on my last two orders, and not just a little bit. The most recent one, they tacked on another $45.

No pictures today. I mean, it's just an unpainted fork
Ossessionato
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:34 pm quote
This weekend, I lived the old saying, "When life gives you P series rails, make fork-enade."

And with that inspiration, I got back on the front fork. Cleaned, prepped, and painted satin black.

So progress, just not the progress I was expecting to make this weekend.

Still wet, but you get the idea

Curing like a ham

Ossessionato
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:23 pm quote
ooo. kinda gettin excited to see what this thing looks like all put together.
Addicted
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:16 pm quote
Looking good for sure. The anticipation of full reveal steadily builds.....
Ossessionato
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 am quote
New legshield trim and a few other bits and bobs finally showed up from SIP yesterday after three weeks in transit, and then the new floor rails that I ordered from Scooter Mercato over the weekend got here today.

It's starting to feel like progress...

It's beginning to look a lot like Legshield-mas!

Getting a grip

Ossessionato
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm quote
Lookin good CM.
Not so far away now
Addicted
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:42 pm quote
All of our collective excitement for this continues to build! Congrats on finally receiving your order!
Ossessionato
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:33 am quote
I need to get a proper to-do list going. I'm about at that point

Things like shocks...I want to get another BGM front shock like I put on my Sprint, but they're back-ordered, so maybe I'll cannibalize that when the time comes. I need to order a rear shock, too.

Next up are re-assembling the fork and headset, for which I *should* have everything I need but the headlight. I have the original SIEM bezel, but still need to figure out an actual light. Current plan is to go with another super-bright LED, maybe another JWSpeaker like my Sprint, but bigger and retaining the OG lens.

Also, turn signals. I found some front turn signals that should mount cleanly to the mirror brackets. For the back, I'm thinking small bullet lights on top of the license plate frame. I got some cheap bullet lights off Amazon back before my move planning to prototype it on the VBB, but have never gotten back to that project.

I have a P200 wiring harness that has turn signals in it that JVB sent me with the motor, so assuming it all checks out, I'll just have the misery of pulling that through.

I'm still contemplating turn signal switch options. I'm surprised there's not a vintage-looking switch with that, but I can't find one.

Which brings me to the big issue...the motor...

I'm definitely going to put the P200 motor in it. I threw it in my Sprint after its motor incident, and while it runs, it has an air leak and the clutch and cruciform are both shot, so until it gets torn down and rebuilt, it's not really useful. I may still try to get a GSFDyno off it before I pull it, though, because Science!

This is a problem because so many of the parts I want for its ultimate conversion are back-ordered. So I'm thinking I order the parts I need to get it running, combined with what I can get, e.g. a Malossi top end and CR80 clutch, since those'll be needed anyway, then just wait for the rest of the parts to come off backorder.

That'd keep me on a stock crank, and I'd just open up the intake and match the ports, but stick to the 24/24 and Sito(?) exhaust until the parts I want come available. And is there even any point with that exhaust?

Upside of that approach is that it spreads the cost of all the go-fast parts. Downside is that I hate to wait.

Also fun...you can see more clearcoat drips on the inside of the legshield in the big floor rail picture. I've named this scooter "Sweet Roll" in my head, because it looks like one once you get up close.

Prototype rear light

Ossessionato
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:18 pm quote
Today was floor rails day. I now understand why SoCal kept telling me to fit the floor rails prior to painting, too.

Things I learned:
- even the "right" re-pop floor rails will require a lot of work to fit. I had to re-drill almost every hole to match the floorboard, and cut the ends off half the rails to get the length to fit.
- push the rubber in from the bottom on the inner rails, but the top on the outer rail
- pay attention to which side of the rivet tool is the cross-hatched side
- it's probably easier to just use pop rivets for all but the end rivets unless you're doing a concourse restoration
- my legshield needs 1.5mm diameter rivets, but when you don't pay close attention, SIP only sells them individually and when you just select the "legshield badge rivets" as a pack, they will send you 2mm rivets and you get to drop F-bombs like a B-52 over Hanoi when you realize what happened.

I'm waiting on some needle bearings I ordered to get the front fork back together, so tomorrow might be the headset or might be cracking open the P200 motor to figure out a parts order or might be stripping and cleaning my cracked cases to ship to CM2 for welding adventures. We'll just have to see how I feel...

Ossessionato
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:52 am quote
Over the weekend, I almost finished the fork, but didn't have the washer that sits between the hub and the lower spring mount, so that's on its way from ScooterMercato along with a couple other bits n' pieces.

So those should arrive in the next couple days, at which point I can finish the front fork, even if I just sneak out to the workshop and do it to know it's off the list.

Next up will be re-assembling the headset, then it'll be time for electrical, which is still a little bit incomplete design-wise since I'm going to add turn signals and haven't even *considered* what to do about an LED headlight with the trap headset.

I used a spare shock I had lying around for confirming fitment, but am going to steal the front shock off my Sprint, which is a BGM Sport adjustable, for the final iteration. It'll get a new BGM Sport shock, but they only had silver in stock, so I'll have to play "shuffle the shocks" to get my aesthetics right--I want a black shock on the GL.

I also went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Malossi MHR, super-strong CR80 clutch, and some other bits to get the P200 motor into some sort of rideable state, even if it won't be anywhere near the final build. Throw in some shocks and various other bits and the scooter budget is pretty well blown for the moment, so the fact that all the other go-fast parts (62mm crank, Nordspeed exhaust, 38mm reed block, variable timing ignition, etc) are backordered stings a lot less.

I may order a new kytronik to play with in with the existing ignition in the meantime, too.

No split pin on the hub nut, because it's still missing brakes, so don't @ me! ;)

Ossessionato
Fri May 07, 2021 11:27 am quote
Got a visit from the Go-Fast Parts Fairy and spent a little time out in the shop moving things forward.

Legshield badge is on, which was trivial, but feels like a big accomplishment for some reason.

The Clauss Studior rear shock mount is installed, the new shocks are here, and I have enough parts to get the P200 motor back in service. Next up is installing the wiring harness, cables, and working on various hardware bits like reinstalling the center stand, cowl levers, etc.

Oh, and properly finishing up the fork, now that all the parts are here for it.

I love the new-old look of the OG badge

Sucks to install, but sucks less than when you can't turn the frame over to do it.

mmmmm.....parts....

bodgemaster
Fri May 07, 2021 1:21 pm quote
Themís some dandy goodies ... you have that BGM rear shock on any other bikes? Wondering whether itís worth the cheese.
Ossessionato
Fri May 07, 2021 1:35 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Themís some dandy goodies ... you have that BGM rear shock on any other bikes? Wondering whether itís worth the cheese.
This is my first time with the rear shock. I've been super impressed with the front shock on my Sprint, though, so I went for the matching set. It's definitely better than the Bitubo"s I have on my Stella, and cost like half as much.
Ossessionato
Mon May 10, 2021 5:27 pm quote
Made some more progress today.

Front fork is done. This was a dry fit with the headset.

next up is wiring and cables, and at some point, I'll split the P200 for a new cruciform plus a little bit of light porting for the Malossi kit. Nothing too wild on the tuning front until I'm ready to go all-in with a side draft, long stroke, and reeds, though.

bodgemaster
Mon May 10, 2021 7:13 pm quote
The front suspension looks gorgeous.
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Tue May 11, 2021 3:01 am quote
Once it's assembled are you going to put it up on a shelf? I've seen your antics over the last few years, way to nice looking, for your riding style.

Last edited by Christopher_55934 on Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Tue May 11, 2021 3:19 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
The front suspension looks gorgeous.
Thanks, Mike! It already has some dings in the paint from the assembly process, but I'll touch it up at some point and be good-to-go.
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Once it's assembled are you going to put it up on a shelf? I've seen your antics over the last few years, way to nice looking your riding style.

Nope, Sweet Roll is getting built to be ridden. Times like these, I defer to the wisdom of my father, who loved cars, but always said, "If you can't stand the idea of something happening to it, just shrink wrap it and leave it in the garage." Clearly, I can stand the idea of something happening to my bikes.

Sure, I have some accumulated carnage in the workshop right now. It's spread out in the background of that picture:
- The Sprint's Stella motor is in the back right corner, awaiting a teardown and cleanup so I can send the cases off to CM2 for welding practice on the cracks in the case. I swapped in the P200 motor for Sweet Roll in the meantime, but that needs new clutch and cruciform (and probably new seals) before it's really ready to ride. I'm going to do that sooner than later and get that bike back on the road. Part of the push to get the fork finished was so I could clear off my work surface to tear into that motor.
- I blew up the Stella's SprintV motor over the weekend on the highway because I chose the "go fast" rather than the "smart" route going to get donuts on Saturday morning. Had to get my wife to come pick me up. She was less-than-thrilled about that. It soft-seized and lost compression cruising at about 65 MPH. It did the "I'm going to seize" flicker of power, I looked at the CHT and it said 245f, so I thought, maybe I'll get off the highway just to be safe, but it was too late. And the battery is now dead in the CHT (TrailTech), so beware that their failure mode seems to be "read cooler-than-accurate temps, then die." It's a cast iron Polini, so I expect that I'll be able to clean it up and get it back on the road, maybe with some new rings. If not, I can steal a 166
- I've never gotten back to finishing up the carb tuning on the VBB because of other projects, but I worry that I raised the exhaust timing too far when I went crazy on its jug. I don't really have another 2-port top end for it, other than the OG jug off my GL motor, which is sitting in the corner with no clear purpose in life, though, so it sits waiting for me to either figure out what's up or fix the air leak in the 8" converted LML motor I built a few years ago.

I'll put the P200 motor back in the Sprint for the time being, but its ultimate home will be the GL.
Ossessionato
Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 am quote
Quote:
- I blew up the Stella's SprintV motor over the weekend on the highway because I chose the "go fast" rather than the "smart" route going to get donuts on Saturday morning. Had to get my wife to come pick me up. She was less-than-thrilled about that. It soft-seized and lost compression cruising at about 65 MPH. It did the "I'm going to seize" flicker of power, I looked at the CHT and it said 245f, so I thought, maybe I'll get off the highway just to be safe, but it was too late. And the battery is now dead in the CHT (TrailTech), so beware that their failure mode seems to be "read cooler-than-accurate temps, then die." It's a cast iron Polini, so I expect that I'll be able to clean it up and get it back on the road, maybe with some new rings. If not, I can steal a 166
Oh no!
Gracious - been a rough month over there.
We need to get some of these up and running for my next pass through.
(It's all about me).
🙂
bodgemaster
Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 am quote
Quote:
I chose the "go fast" rather than the "smart" route going to get donuts
Understandable. What man takes the smart route in pursuit of donuts?
VNB VSC VBC VSX
Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 am quote
GL is looking good!

Sorry your other scoot pooped the bed though! Mmmmrph
Ossessionato
Tue May 11, 2021 8:26 am quote
I had a problem with the top right cylinder stud on that motor coming loose in the past. I'm wondering if it did it again and caused an air leak. I took a much longer run on that same highway on Friday afternoon with no issues whatsoever, which was part of why I just jumped back on it for my donut run.
Ossessionato
Wed May 12, 2021 6:04 am quote
Yesterday, I made some progress on getting the P200 motor back into running shape again.

Pulled it out of the Sprint, cleaned off the worst of the oil and grime with a plastic putty knife, then began tearing it down.

All was well until one of the case bolts decided it didn't want to come free. Interestingly, it was one on the back behind the CDI, not one of the Usual Suspects for that sort of thing. So I've been using the combination of heat, PB Blaster, and hammering it with a punch, thus far to no effect. I let it sit overnight, still stuck.

The clutch bushing was so loose it fell probably 3/8" out when I took the clutch out. Clutch plates weren't mushroomed at all, but look like they're probably pretty thin. I'm thinking I'll replace that bushing and stick it in my 8" LML motor for a couple percent more upgear once I get back to that.

I also painted the new MHR 210 with hi-temp paint for better cooling. I'd like to oven cure it, but that smells up the house something fierce, so I'll probably just do it on the bike once the motor is built.

I'm wondering if I'm looking for trouble tapping an M10x1.0 hole for a CHT sender. I'd have to grind off a fin on the head a little, but then I think there's a decent spot for it. I just need to 110% certain confirm the depth is there for it.

Lastly, for my own future reference which I hopefully won't need to know any time soon, it's a "A" size piston....

stuck. Like, really stuck, like...something that rhymes with "stuck"-ing stuck...

black is cool

VNB VSC VBC VSX
Wed May 12, 2021 6:23 am quote
Mmmmrph. Had that happen on cylinder stud.

Get some serious heat on that... hotter than you think you should and get some left-right, right-left wiggle going...tighten/loosen tighten/loosen... hopefully you start to get more "loosening" with each go.
----
That jug is yummy!
Ossessionato
Wed May 12, 2021 6:43 am quote
I may actually have to bust out a torch rather than just my heat gun. It's tough getting it all that hot with so the rest of the cases acting as a heat sink.
Ossessionato
Wed May 12, 2021 9:09 am quote
It's out

I but my heat gun in a wood clamp to hold it in place, then hit it with PB Blaster and a few taps of the hammer every 30 seconds or so. Eventually, it came loose and the motor popped right open.

The cruciform has seen better days, but the gears are in pretty good shape, so I'm going to replace the cruciform, do the porting, and get this puppy back on the road. Port timing will just be what it is, unless it's woefully off.

The rotary pad is as perfect as I've ever seen. I actually feel a little bad about opening it up. OK...not really, but I feel like I'm supposed to say that.

My latest Darwin Award submission

Gotcha!

crucified

VNB VSC VBC VSX
Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 am quote
Well done! Crazy corrosion on that case bolt.

That cruciform has some miles on it for sure.
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 am quote
Weird wear pattern on that cruciform. Two of the legs still have the 'T' shape, yet the other two are completely worn down.

Does the Clauss rear mount allow you to offset the shock for a wide tyre and cut swingarm? I have literally just installed a CMD Silent Scorpion for this very reason. I was sceptical at first, and it was a bit pricey, but it's actually a really well engineered piece of kit
Ossessionato
Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 pm quote
The fact that the clutch bushing was completely loose can't have helped that cruciform. It was pretty much unrideable due to slamming into gear just from the clutch.

I haven't considered a wide tire kit for it yet. I was probably going to stick my existing Pinasco tubeless split rims on it and go from there.
Ossessionato
Wed May 12, 2021 1:58 pm quote
Slightly off topic, but I pulled the jug off the Sprint motor and it was Not Good. I didn't recall only having one ring on there. I guess I should go read through my old thread and see if I did that on purpose.

Aluminum smeared on the inside of the cylinder, so I need to get some muriatic acid for that, and then order a new piston.

In happier news, I started on the porting for the P200. I'm just going to match up the cylinder to cases, do the danger for the airbox, then slap it back together and get back on the road.

That'll buff right out

Happier thoughts.

Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, VNX1T, V9B1T
Wed May 12, 2021 3:43 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
Slightly off topic, but I pulled the jug off the Sprint motor and it was Not Good. I didn't recall only having one ring on there. I guess I should go read through my old thread and see if I did that on purpose.

Aluminum smeared on the inside of the cylinder, so I need to get some muriatic acid for that, and then order a new piston.

In happier news, I started on the porting for the P200. I'm just going to match up the cylinder to cases, do the danger for the airbox, then slap it back together and get back on the road.
Brutal looking piston!

You must take the saying ride it like you stole it seriously!

it is fun so I'm right there with you.
Ossessionato
Wed May 12, 2021 4:16 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
You must take the saying ride it like you stole it seriously!
If I didn't, what would be the point?
Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Wed May 12, 2021 10:46 pm quote
Thinking it was weird for that case bolt to get stuck.....until I saw signs of copper grease on it. Never use copper grease anywhere near aluminum. It does the opposite of what you want it to do.

Was that sprint piston actually running. Amazing.

Is that a 57 MHR on a 57 crank?
Ossessionato
Thu May 13, 2021 2:35 am quote
Yes, 57 MHR on a 57 crank for now. This is a "one notch above a bolt on" build to get running.

At some point, I'm going to convert to long stroke and reed, big carb, etc., but not this point.

I have a Malossi 166 that's going to go on the Sprint motor, maybe today. I don't know if I have base gaskets for that, though, so we'll see.

And I only spent a few minutes looking thus far, but can't seem to find a domestic source for a Grand Sport piston for the Polini that was on the Sprint, which is a bummer given that I don't want to be waiting three weeks or more to order from Germany.
Molto Verboso
2007 Stella 225
Thu May 13, 2021 2:51 am quote
chandlerman wrote:
Yes, 57 MHR on a 57 crank for now. This is a "one notch above a bolt on" build to get running.

At some point, I'm going to convert to long stroke and reed, big carb, etc., but not this point.

I have a Malossi 166 that's going to go on the Sprint motor, maybe today. I don't know if I have base gaskets for that, though, so we'll see.

And I only spent a few minutes looking thus far, but can't seem to find a domestic source for a Grand Sport piston for the Polini that was on the Sprint, which is a bummer given that I don't want to be waiting three weeks or more to order from Germany.
Jonathan Gick have anything?
bodgemaster
Thu May 13, 2021 6:45 am quote

This one belongs in the Piston Carnage Hall Of Fame!
Ossessionato
Thu May 13, 2021 12:45 pm quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
This one belongs in the Piston Carnage Hall Of Fame!
I'll own that title!

Today, I spent a few hours of quality Dremel Time with the P200 cases so other than cleanup, they're ready to go back together.

The airbox and intake needed a TON of work. I didn't really extend the intake timings, but the airbox might as well have been for a 20/20, it was so tight.

Assuming no nasty surprises, it'll be back together, pressure tested and ready for its first start tomorrow.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12345Next
[ Time: 0.0733s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0524s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]