OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Hi , I'm new here and new to scooters , I have a 2001 Vespa et4 which I'm enjoying ! When I first start it up I let it warm up a bit then when I ride off it the engine vibrates under load ie pulling away or going up hill , is this a normal thing or is there a problem? Many thanks Russ
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
This type of shuddering is an indication that the CVT could use cleaning, inspection, and possibly some new parts. The belt may be slipping in low gear, the clutch plates may not be engaging well simultaneously, etc.
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Blimey that sound like it could be loads of things ! It seems to stop when it's warmed up , could this point to anything specific ?
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
I'm unfamiliar with the ET4 but if it was a GTS, I'd say the clutch bell is glazed which causes the clutch to slip and grab when first starting off. The solution is to use 180 grit sandpaper and scuff off the glaze from a bell housing Where it contacts the clutch shoes. No need to Scuff up the clutch shoes. You can probably find a YouTube video on how to do this on the ET4.

Best
Miguel
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
Russ34 wrote:
Blimey that sound like it could be loads of things ! It seems to stop when it's warmed up , could this point to anything specific ?
This kind of stuff is routine maintenance on a 20-year-old scooter. It really isn't difficult to handle with a few tools on a DIY basis, nor are the parts particularly expensive - if they even need replacing. Mechanical things wear out, need adjustment, and get old, it's a fact of life. If you aren't willing to deal with it then you'll need a good relationship with a scooter mechanic or you should be riding something newer.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Does it happen if you take off WOT?
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Does it happen if you take off WOT?
sorry WOT ? I'm not sure what this means
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
Russ34 wrote:
This kind of stuff is routine maintenance on a 20-year-old scooter. It really isn't difficult to handle with a few tools on a DIY basis, nor are the parts particularly expensive - if they even need replacing. Mechanical things wear out, need adjustment, and get old, it's a fact of life. If you aren't willing to deal with it then you'll need a good relationship with a scooter mechanic or you should be riding something newer.
I'm quite happy to deal with it , I ride a 20 year old motorbike which I do my own maintenance on , I'm an electrician and by no means a mechanic but I've learned, as I said I'm new to scooters and was after some advice , I'm quite happy to carry out work required if pointed in the right direction!
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
It sounds like the clutch is juddering as you move off. This can reduce or even mostly go away once the motor is hot. The cure, as mentioned above is to clean out the clutch drum of dust, BUT make sure to sand very carefully the clutch pads as well. No good just doing the drum without the other. That normally cures the issue. If the clutch pads have less than 1mm of friction material left on them, you should replace the clutch. Otherwise it might be slipping and juddering when the motor is hot too. Good luck, let us know how you get on. Of course it could be something else but this is the most likely.
⚠️ Last edited by Stromrider on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with the ET4 but if it was a GTS, I'd say the clutch bell is glazed which causes the clutch to slip and grab when first starting off. The solution is to use 180 grit sandpaper and scuff off the glaze from a bell housing Where it contacts the clutch shoes. No need to Scuff up the clutch shoes. You can probably find a YouTube video on how to do this on the ET4.

Best
Miguel
thank you for your advice , I'll try and have a look at that 😀👍
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
It sounds like the clutch is juddering as you move off. This can reduce or even mostly go away once the motor is hot. The cure, as mentioned above is to clean out the clutch drum of dust, BUT make sure to sand very carefully the clutch pads as well. No good just doing the drum without the other. That normally cures the issue. If the clutch pads have less than 1mm of friction material left on them, you should replace the clutch. Otherwise it might be slipping and juddering when the motor is hot too. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
thanks for your reply , I'll definitely post an update ! 👍
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Thanks for all your replies, seems like a really helpful forum I've joined ! 😀👍
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
WOT = Wide Open Throttle.
It's good for scooters' clutch to get up and go, as it helps to avoid clutch glazing.
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
It's good for scooters' clutch to get up and go, as it helps to avoid clutch glazing.
ah right 👍 it's actually worse if I open it right up !
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
Russ34 wrote:

I'm quite happy to deal with it , I ride a 20 year old motorbike which I do my own maintenance on , I'm an electrician and by no means a mechanic but I've learned, as I said I'm new to scooters and was after some advice , I'm quite happy to carry out work required if pointed in the right direction!
Oh, you're in good shape, then. Your "blimey" response concealed your experience! As you'll see there are only about seven parts of interest in the transmission: two halves of the engine-side pulley, one that moves and one that doesn't; the centripetal rollers or sliders that move the pulley; the belt; the clutch bell; the clutch assembly: and the contra spring.
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
Russ34 wrote:

Oh, you're in good shape, then. Your "blimey" response concealed your experience! As you'll see there are only about seven parts of interest in the transmission: two halves of the engine-side pulley, one that moves and one that doesn't; the centripetal rollers or sliders that move the pulley; the belt; the clutch bell; the clutch assembly: and the contra spring.
nice one , thanks 👍
@wheelman-111 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"

Addicted
@wheelman-111 avatar
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 Malossi 187 "ISO"
UTC quote
Greetings:

Don't know where Devon is exactly, but despite the good quality and durability of the stock Piaggio clutch ($130 here in the U. S. and A.) the added performance capacity of the $160 Malossi MHR Delta Clutch and Bell is a better unit. This is particularly true if you ever plan to go Big with the Malossi 187 cylinder. For every scooter I've owned, the Delta is the go-to unit for its higher power handling capacity and cooler running ventilated bell.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Russ34 wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Best
Miguel
thank you for your advice , I'll try and have a look at that 😀👍
Actually, I'm going to defer to Stromrider. He is a MASTER mechanic and MUCH more knowledgable than I am. If he says to scuff up the clutch shoes as well as the clutch bell, do it.

Thanks for the correction Stromrider.

Best
Miguel
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Might this be akin to the fabled "Italian tune-up?"
⬆️    About 28 days elapsed    ⬇️
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Hi , just a quick update , I removed the plastic cover on the engine case covering the clutch and sprayed some brake and clutch cleaner in thru the holes in the clutch housing and what a difference it's like a different bike , the clutch must have been full of dirt ! Many thanks for your help everyone! Cheers Russ
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
UTC quote
Russ, Robot tells you everything you need to know. It sounds like you need to service your CVT.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiEA9SXhtng"
OP
UTC

Et4

Et4
UTC quote
Ah right , is that not it cured then ?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0126s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0063s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]