OP
@chrisfromcle avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102

Hooked
@chrisfromcle avatar
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 CA102
UTC quote
Read this article this morning and thought Harbinger and others might find it interesting:

https://www.rbth.com/business/333358-story-of-ural-ussrs-most-popular-motorbike

Chris From CLE
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Thanks! It was a good read and I'm surprised they make so few. The only point that didn't make sense was mentioning that the bike detaches. They haven't detached from the sidecar in a while as far as I know. I love my Ural but it's definitely not the only bike I want in the stable.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Great read! Over here in the Uk the importers have had to do quite a bit of work on them before they can sell them to the British public. The quality is not great until they have sorted them out. Another issue is the high price you pay for one and you get very mediocre performance for your bucks. But you get loads of character and reasonable reliability if you don't cain it.

Unfortunately, the UK importer is no longer selling new bikes, but is supporting older bikes with service and spares. I don't think the new bikes can meet the new emissions regs of Euro 5. There has been 4 UK importers since 1998 and no one has really made a proper go of it because the bikes are not really up to modern day life in the UK. Very slow, very expensive, not seen as viable by many. Shame really because they are really not that bad if you can fettle them a bit.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
I think Harbinger's black stands out more elegantly than the others.

Very interesting article.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
That article convinced me of the suspicion I've been harboring - that having a friend with a Ural is much better than having a Ural. (I have neither; need neither; got all my Ural cravings fulfilled from Harbinger's posts and FortNine's awesome Ural video.)
OP
@chrisfromcle avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@chrisfromcle avatar
UTC quote
I also found it amazing that there is virtually no domestic market. Especially with its history. It takes a lot of dedication as a company to continue to make what is essentially an export only product.

Chris from CLE
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
ChrisFromCLE wrote:
I also found it amazing that there is virtually no domestic market. Especially with its history. It takes a lot of dedication as a company to continue to make what is essentially an export only product.

Chris from CLE
I think and have heard from good sources that part of that is cost. A Ural is not an affordable motorcycle like it used to be. There have been a lot of improvements with higher end components being used that add to cost. My Ural with all the extras I've added cost roughly as much as my BMW K1600GT Sport.

Reliability ??? I'd be lying if I said I've had no issues but part of that was getting used to the rig. I've learnt not to downshift when stopping as well.. the gearbox doesn't seem to like that. Anyway covered under warranty and after a few years I've learn what she likes and doesn't like. They really are a lot of fun and I'm much happier on a saddle than in a cage but that's just me and very few others that ride year round in a temperate climate.

These are from today and yes it was cold but I'm just all good with that. I think she's a pretty girl but that's my bias.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Thanks! It was a good read and I'm surprised they make so few. The only point that didn't make sense was mentioning that the bike detaches. They haven't detached from the sidecar in a while as far as I know. I love my Ural but it's definitely not the only bike I want in the stable.
Definitely old information. IMZ hasn't made the Wolf Solo for years. It wasn't a big hit so they discontinued it.

Yes you're going to have problems so you better be handy or have a good mechanic nearby! Definitely turns more heads than my vintage Vespas and is a perfect weekend camping vehicle.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Reliability ??? I'd be lying if I said I've had no issues but part of that was getting used to the rig. I've learnt not to downshift when stopping as well.. the gearbox doesn't seem to like that.
Wouldn't this be the same as most inline (longitudinal) gearboxes (like the BMW GS) where you need to give a bit of gas while changing gear down to avoid the clunk noise??

Just saying as I never had an Ural...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0114s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0022s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]