[NSR] How are your houses made?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 am quote
Attila,
A great show here called "This Old House" chronicles how old houses were made, how to maintain them, update them without taking away their charm. It's one of my favorite programs. Check them out if you're really so interested.
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:58 pm quote
Really Nice
pmatulew,

Great looking place, wonderful views. You really selected a great location.
Looks like there is going to be a deck? Steel roof you got it all.

You were discussing heat in the cement floors. I insured a young man
from Austria who married a US gal and moved to Northern Minnesota.
He build a two story home with full basement. The first floor and even the
second floor were concrete with heat in them through a pipe system. He
said they do it like that in Austria. I think the same as you described, heat pump with some back up.

Again, great looking place. This looks like a "Back to Waldon Pond" move
on your part.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:24 pm quote
The radiant heat floors really are awesome. Gentle even heat. Long cycle times. No dust allergy issues from forced air. Totally silent.

Encasing the tubing in masonry is best for thermal mass. Ours is actually tacked up under the wood subfloor between the joists. I did put reflective foam insulation below it to force the heat up. Very nice to wander around in your bare feet on the warm tiles.
Molto Verboso
2013 GTS300ie
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:02 pm quote
Home isn't mine anymore
The transfer on our house went through yesterday, so the first house I designed, built and lived isn't mine anymore. (Sad moment here )
As I have occupation until end March, the new owner and his team were traipsing through yesterday discussing what they are changing...

I have very traditional views as an architect. When I choose a material for use, I am accepting all its features and limitations. I love materials that exude these features - real stone, clay brick, unpainted timber, slender steel elements and glass to make division disappear. Homes that are built with locally available materials have honest roots and place.

So to that extent, the new owner's (female) decorating team was promoting changes to update a home that has housed and nurtured a family for 37 years was indeed traumatic to me.

I know the difference between "fashion" and "style", but sadly the first was in the forefront. My carefully chosen natural unstained clear varnished t+g pine ceilings they want to paint translucent white. Ditto with the natural maple kitchen cupboard doors. They even wanted to white enamel paint the main feature of the house - a naturally dark 6x20" (150x475mm) laminated saligna timber ridge beam that runs the full length of the house! My natural baked clay floor tiles are to be covered with vinyl interlocking faux-ash flooring. One word came to my mind repeatedly... FAKE.

The faux fashionists were loudly delirious in their work.
Inside me I wept.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:58 am quote
I lived for 45 years (from my birth) in a large manor house (it was the custom here to make houses in this way) but times changed and when before the children tended to form a nucleus all close together and in the same main house, now everyone goes far away and also to look for a distant job because often there is none here ...
So it was that my father, 15 years ago, decided that living in four in a large house of over 400 square meters was a waste and a useless expense but we were used to living alone in our house and luckily the land on which it stood. the old house had enormous value as a location.
He bought a plot of agricultural land just two kilometers further away but much more extensive (7 hectares in all) at an excessive price ... why?
Well ... it was still four kilometers from the city and the future prospects for revaluation as an urban area were good; meanwhile we built a smaller house with a big garden and started growing kiwis, initially as a joke but over time it became a serious business.
Today it seems that having bought this land was a provident move, in fact the Lazio region has decided to build a huge general hospital less than 400 meters away!
And as often happens, the value of the surrounding land is increasing, estimated to be over twenty times within the next five years.
It therefore seems that I will have to review my plans for the future.
Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:22 am quote
Fudmucker, I feel your pain. I have built beautiful screen porches with exposed cedar rafters and 2x6 tongue & groove decking only to see it painted white and all the natural beauty of the wood erased. It really hurt. Today, I ask the client if they intend to paint so I can use less expensive materials. Lumber is so expensive now I am paying over twice as much for a screen porch package. What amazes me is the customer doesn't seem to mind paying the additional cost. tonysoutdoorliving.com
Ossessionato
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:41 am quote
Latest Decorative Fashion
Fud,

When you sell you really have to give up the ghost.

I am a traditionalist that likes natural oak cabinets, solid oak six panel doors,
natural wood moldings and built in wood shelving. I am definitely on the
outs.

Everything today is paint over white with gray accents. The all white move
has a clean look, but, not the warmth and majesty of exposed natural wood.
Heck, they are painting over great looking brick exteriors with white paint.

Fud, we are gone with the wind.

Bob Copeland
Old Fashioned in Frost Bite Falls
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 & NIU NQi Sport
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:36 am quote
Nothing wrong with brick and a touch of solid oak. But too much exposed wood can be overwhelming.
Hooked
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:39 am quote
Gone with the wind...the whitewash generation

At our last house, an old greek revival side hall in a little town, I restored the front door and built a custom stained glass panel for it.

Years later driving by we saw that the current occupant had somehow managed to smash part of it. Left my card an offered to fix it. Never heard back.

Last time we drove by the whole door had been replaced with some black steel abomination.

Just have to let it go and move on.

Ossessionato
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:13 pm quote
Greek Revival
pmatulew,

That house has such noble lines. Regrettably, many are in disrepair.
I really like that house - it is a classic.

Bob Copeland
Hooked
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:42 pm quote
Old houses have a history you can't get from modern boxes. Nothing as grand as European history but still.

That house was built sometime in the 1860's. It was moved down the street to it's present location around 1917. Around the same time they put on fancy victorian porch and the bow window on the front. One of the previous owners was a carriage builder, hence the little barn. The place also did some time as an undertaker/funeral parlor. The left front door opens directly in to a sitting room separate from the main space with another door leading in to a small narrow space that didn't make any sense at all until we found out the history. :shock

The place was in a serious state of neglect when we bought it as a young couple. Spent the next 10 years trying to leave it better than we found it.

The next 20 years after we left were not kind.
Molto Verboso
2013 GTS300ie
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:24 am quote
Our new home...
Where we are going to is also my design.
When my father died, my mother sold up and moved out of the home they had lived in. "Too many memories." she said.

She went and boarded with a lady friend who had had a hip replacement and had no close family. After two years she was ready for a new place. She liked the basic layout of my home with a few changes.

Her (our) new place is what South Africans refer to as a "duet house" - an upmarket name for a semi-detached house with two living units. One unit was for her occupancy and the other a rental for a bit of income. The intention was for her to let the smaller unit out for a few years until she was ready to downscale, then she would move into the smaller unit and rent out the bigger one.

She wasn't even at the end of the first tenant's lease when a suitor came visiting - the widower of one of her good friends. So it was that he proposed, she accepted (after consulting me ) and they married. My stepfather had a large family who would often visit Pretoria for a week at a time. When the lease ran out, mom did not renew and it became an extended family home. The second living unit became rather like a vacation home for the rest of the family. Having gone to great pains to separate the units in the initial design for noise privacy, I then had to join them up again!

Fast forward ten or so years and my stepfather and my mom have both passed. My eldest son is living in the smaller unit. When we move in mid-March, it will be an extended family home again...! My wife can't wait to dote on her teenage grandson in her retirement.

The new place reprised some of the old house, so I will have the memories...
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:14 am quote
Re: Latest Decorative Fashion
Bob Copeland wrote:
Fud,

I am a traditionalist that likes natural oak cabinets, solid oak six panel doors,
outs.

Bob Copeland
Old Fashioned in Frost Bite lls
Bob and Fud: did we just become best friends??
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 am quote
pmatulew wrote:
Old houses have a history you can't get from modern boxes. Nothing as grand as European history but still.

No ... don't say that ... I have some architect friends of mine who often talk about the "American style" and include many buildings with their own style, at least until the early 1970s.
So there is a style architecture typical of your places and it is recognized as such; There are many scenic wallpapers on the web that include aesthetically pleasing American country houses.
It is a bit like the colonial houses in my area, built in the early 1930s, were developed to be rational but even in their simplicity today they are considered a separate example of architecture from the fascist period:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalism_(architecture)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latina,_Lazio

I put the historical notes to make you understand how an original architectural style is born from a simple idea (leaving out the political purpose of the architecture used as a representative symbol).
I hope Fud (and others) appreciate this little cultural digression.

Today many of those buildings destined for the agricultural transformation project in my area have become luxury homes.

Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:39 am quote
Attila wrote:
pmatulew wrote:

No ... don't say that ... I have some architect friends of mine who often talk about the "American style" and include many buildings with their own style, at least until the early 1970s.
So there is a style architecture typical of your places and it is recognized as such; There are many scenic wallpapers on the web that include aesthetically pleasing American country houses.
It is a bit like the colonial houses in my area, built in the early 1930s, were developed to be rational but even in their simplicity today they are considered a separate example of architecture from the fascist period:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalism_(architecture)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latina,_Lazio

I put the historical notes to make you understand how an original architectural style is born from a simple idea (leaving out the political purpose of the architecture used as a representative symbol).
I hope Fud (and others) appreciate this little cultural digression.

Today many of those buildings destined for the agricultural transformation project in my area have become luxury homes.

I think the point he was making is that, while our architecture & nation have history, white settlers didn't get here until the 1500s, while Europe (and Asia & Africa) had been building structures for thousands of years prior to that.

I think about it every time I send a particular gift in Pokemon Go to a player in Europe, or even the East Coast of the US. It's a Centennial Marker celebrating the first 100 years of the city where I live. It was founded in 1903. It makes me wonder if the players open the gift and say, "Centennial, that's cute."
Ossessionato
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:29 am quote
Best of Friends - Traditional Homes
Karlsbadd,

One thing about design trends, they tend to circle back around. I have
always liked the traditional because it is timeless. The nice couple across the
street from my house have remodeled their kitchen twice. I do understand they are a young couple that wanted their own look after purchasing the house.

I have attached a small shot of the kitchen with my blushing bride. Note,
traditional oak cabinets and white refrigerator. I am the only house in
the neighborhood with original formica countertops. All my neighbors have went progressively (countertops) from butcher block to marble/granite to polished
concrete. The refrigerators have went from White, to Chrome, to black.

Hey, maybe I am just to cheap to change. When I am ready to sell the house,
I will watch for the latest counter top fashion and install it to up the resale.

Bob Copeland
Old Fashioned in Minnesota

The old fashioned look - just like me, old!

Molto Verboso
2013 GTS300ie
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:50 am quote
Re: Latest Decorative Fashion
Karlsbadd wrote:
Bob Copeland wrote:
Fud,

outs.

Bob Copeland
Old Fashioned in Frost Bite lls
Bob and Fud: did we just become best friends??
Kindred spirits, it would seem...

I have this simple attitude to materials - we need to change them as little as possible in order to utilise them. They are almost perfect already. It is for us to just amplify the inherent beauty into what we need it to do. I applude organic architecture, where one can see, touch, smell and even taste Nature's gifts to us in the buildings that shelter our lives. The marks of the crafter's tools that have transformed raw material into useful objects are part of the charm.

I have some 25x300 pine planks (1x12") hanging about in my storeroom. They were the bedboards to the brass double bed that my wife and I shared for twenty odd years before polishing the brass became too much of a chore. When we sold the bed, I refused to sell the boards. They have holes from the bolts that fixed them to the iron angle frame. They are absolutely flat, without bowing or twists and have air-dried for 20 years. You don't find wood like that down at the local hardware outlet.

I will keep them until a worthy application comes along. My son, who shares his mother's abhorrence of hoarding, was ready to split them up into firewood ! He hates a cluttered, dirty construction site.
It may be one of the reasons he has so many referrals and repeat customers, but my stuff has take me a long time to acquire and I intend to keep it.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:43 pm quote
My floors are oak. They were badly worn when we bought the house so we sanded and refinished. Not a fantastic job; I'd get them done again at some point. My kitchen was a slop job reno who knows when. It doesn't work well, and the quality of the install was way subpar. My uncle, a contractor, was shocked at the shlock job he encountered. I'm not a traditional style, per se, but I'm also not trying to make my colonial a bungalow. It is what it is, I try and honor that. I'm also of the ilk that you let materials be what they are. In that vein, I'm also anti trend. Open concepts (nope!), butcher block (no thank you), and the island in the kitchen. If it works, okay but I find when I talk to people about redoing my kitchen everyone assumes I want an island. I don't; it wouldn't work in the space.

Sigh. I have strong opinions on what I like. There's a show called Rehab Addict and what I like about Nicole Curtis, the host, is she doesn't try to make a 150 year old victorian home a bland open concept house with zero character and bland design. My .02 sense.
Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:49 pm quote
After my parents moved into their log home, my father built a garage, without permit, inspections, the rest. He told me he made all the cuts with his chain saw, remarking, "I'm just not so good on the finish work anymore.". It looks a little rough, but it still stands.
2009 GTS 300 Super (an early one)
Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:43 pm quote
1898 AUGUST KLARR HOUSE
so I am the caretaker of this Historic house. Mr Klarr was the town confectioner baker and the story goes he had plenty of dough to build this place. He hire a group of Norwegian Barn Builders and you can tell. 16" x 16" beams, studs are 3" x 12" spaced 20" apart. The boys can bounce a basket ball in the living room and nothing moves or rattles - it has 12' ceilings in most of the house and 14' in both parlors and the vestibule.

from warmer days

current weather

Addicted
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:35 am quote
Front of my house

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:37 am quote
Beautiful photos of characteristic houses but even simple traditional houses have their own charm.
Keep posting!
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:53 am quote
My first house was made of straw. Something blew it down.
My second house was made of sticks. Code violations and some sort of large member of the canidae family, who was linked by dna to the destruction of my first home and the destruction of several in the neighborhood made of not only straw and sticks, but also origami, macrame and cheese whiz.
now my third house, I dashed off a little ditty about my third house:
Ow, she's a brick house
She's mighty-mighty, just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick house
That lady's stacked and that's a fact
Ain't holding nothing back
Ow, she's a brick house
Well put-together, everybody knows
This is how the story goes
'Cause she's a brick house
She's a brick house
Ow, that lady stacked and that's a fact

I'm installing a security system, but I am having permit issues with the boiling oil drop into the crocodile filled moat. I need to pay for a study to investigate the effects on the crocs self esteem if the hot oil kills lunch and hunting is no longer necessary. Will the crocs feel devalued and unappreciated as apex predators if they are no longer required to kill trespassers and people who stop to ask for directions, but merely to eat them, skipping the fun part? Will the three tigers I bought in Mexico and turned loose in my backyard still respect them? I'm still in the process of getting woked about carniverous reptile culture.

Last edited by Motovista on Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:58 am quote
Motovista wrote:
My first house was made of straw. Something blew it down.
My second house was made of sticks. Code violations and some sort of large member of the canidae family, who was linked by dna to the destruction of my first home and the destruction of several in the neighborhood made of not only straw and sticks, but also origami, macrame and cheese whiz.
now my third house, I dashed off a little ditty about my third house:
Ow, she's a brick house
She's a brick house
Ow, she's a brick house
She's a brick house
Two cases: my translator went haywire or the effects of the Covid captivity are manifesting ...
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:13 am quote
It's a little poem I came up with about my house. . I'm thinking about setting it to music.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:20 am quote
Thank you for the clarification.
Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 am quote
Attila wrote:
Attila, Google "Brick House, the Commodores, 1977" and prepare to get funky. In this usage, "brick house" refers to a shapely female, not a home structure.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:41 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Attila wrote:
Attila, Google "Brick House, the Commodores, 1977" and prepare to get funky. In this usage, "brick house" refers to a shapely female, not a home structure.

Brick House
Commodores
Ow, lei una casa di mattoni
Ow, she's a brick house

potente, lascia che tutto si blocchi

una casa di mattoni
She's a brick house

Quella signora impilata e questo un dato di fatto

Non sto trattenendo nulla
Ow, she's a brick house

Ben messi insieme, lo sanno tutti

Ecco come va la storia
Sa di avere tutto
She knows she got everything

Che una donna ha bisogno di un uomo, s, s
That a woman needs to get a man, yeah, yeah

Come pu perdere con le cose che usa
How can she lose with the stuff she use

Trentasei, ventiquattro, trentasei oh che mano vincente
Thirty-six, twenty-four, thirty-six oh what a winning hand
Perch una casa di mattoni

potente, lascia che tutto si blocchi

una casa di mattoni
She's a brick house

Ow, quella signora impilata e questo un dato di fatto

Ow, she's a brick house

S, l'unica, l'unica, costruita come un'amazzone
Yeah, she's the one, the only one, built like an amazon
I vestiti che indossa, i suoi modi sexy
The clothes she wears, her sexy ways

Fai un vecchio desiderio per i giorni pi giovani, s, s
Make an old man wish for younger days, yeah, yeah

Sa di essere costruita e sa come accontentare
She knows she's built and knows how to please

Abbastanza sicuro da mettere in ginocchio un uomo forte
Sure enough to knock a strong man to his knees
Perch una casa di mattoni

S, davvero potente, lascia che tutto si blocchi
Yeah, she's mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out

una casa di mattoni
She's a brick house

La signora impilata e questo un dato di fatto
The lady's stacked and that's a fact

Scuotilo, scuotilo ora
Shake it down, shake it down now

I did not understand (... or maybe yes ...) what must shake well ...
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:16 am quote
Whooa dizzying, wonderful thread of cool houses here, gang!

A decade ago, the idea of living in any kind of unattached home seemed far off my radar, but things have changed quite a bit since then, including meeting someone who was determined to have a houseand let's just say a lot of good things felt into place at more or less the right time.

(Cue CSN&Y's "Our House", but with only one cat)

This house of ours is built from timber, dates from about 1928 (When Asbury Park was still in its first phase as a destination for lots of people), and has a "mirror-image" house next door that was built at the same time. And, like quite a few houses here, it was built by - drum-roll, please - Sears, Roebuck & Co. Yes, among all the other stuff you could order from their once-famous catalog, and brought to your house, you could order a house as well. The "bones" of this house were in pretty decent shape, apart from a sagging back porch and a detached garage that was dangerously decrepit and had to be torn down (but led to our having a much enlarged backyard and garden). But the back of the house was getting a major makeover: we brought in a terrific architect, and found a pretty with-it contractor to do some incredible work. (Had a tough time picking just a handful of pictures.)

Kissin' Cousins: Ours is on left. Still doing little things out front, but the bigger deal is out back.

In Back, 1 (Spring 2016): Short back porch removed, preparing for excavation and extension.

Detached Garage (Winter 2015): How they did it when cars were still something of a novelty. Tore it down because (1) it was a wreck, and (2) was smack in the middle of the yard.

In Back, 2: Excavation for extension and deck; pile of dirt is where old garage was.

In Back, 3) Framework for extension: upstairs is enlarged main bathroom and Le Wife's studio; downstairs is enlarged kitchen.

In Back, 4: just completed. (Fall 2016)

In Back, 5: First time we switched the lights on in back. Could've knocked me over with the tiniest of feathers.

In Back, 06 (detail): Yes, I still pinch myself every time I step into the kitchen.

Ossessionato
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:01 pm quote
More Details, On the Inside
I remember seeing, decades ago, a European print ad (for Kenwood's high-end audio products, of all things) where it was mentioned that the proper way to wear a kimono was with the highly decorative patterning inside, and the more-plain surface outside, as the intricate decoration was for the pleasure of the wearer, not the observer. Factual or apochryphal, That stuck with me for a long time. Nonetheless, I think our approach to our house more-or-less follows this concept: the front of the house has gotten some modest attention (vinyl siding stripped away, original wood siding refurbished), but the heavy-duty work happened inside and in back.

Cabinetry: Doing it the hard way.

Well, there *was* a wall there once...

Tbe deck in back takes shape.

A bathroom. Yes, a bathroom. The one that existed was ghastly.

Ann's studio: pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

The kitchen. To this day, I still almost can't believe it. (And I'm typing this in that space now.)

Now: Dorothy was right.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:00 pm quote
But how much wood!
There is a lot of wood in your homes ...
PS: I'd like to see (from the street) the driveway where you park Melody.
Ossessionato
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:05 pm quote
Attila wrote:
But how much wood!
There is a lot of wood in your homes ...
PS: I'd like to see (from the street) the driveway where you park Melody.
Here you go:

Melody, back of driveway

Front of diveway. (Wife's Honda CR-V)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:26 pm quote
... a typical american house, it almost seems like a television series should be shot: "The Chronicles of Melody".
I am delighted when i see houses with a typical style, and I add that i greatly admire those who want to preserve the architectural typicality of an area.
My compliments, i like how with little space you have built a comfortable mansion.
PS: when will a small box for Melody?
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:36 am quote
Well just thought I would post a picture of our house as shot by the Google camera back in 2018. Kind of surprising and maybe a bit scary to think of the detail they can show on a drive-by!

House was originally built by the help of friends and family in mid 1970's. Then later a 16 foot extension was added to the right side in the picture, that was in many ways a major mistake as we hired an outfit who were recommended by someone my second wife worked with and I could write a book about the problems we have dealt with since then!

House sits on a 5 acre plot of land in the Finger Lakes area of NY. For first wife and I it was about an ideal location. Maybe 2 miles down the road from where she worked and les than a mile commute for me! Actually bought the land from the quarry where I worked!

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:51 am quote
Hey ... but how much space and what a beautiful lawn!
You will also have a 4 stroke lawnmower.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:54 am quote
Attila wrote:
You don't think this guy would do the job? (You'll recognize this, Atilla)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSEu3rxea8
Hooked
BV250, BV500
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:58 pm quote
I've owned 4 houses in my life, each one smaller and newer that the previous one. The first was built in 1880, nearly 4,000 square feet, in a small town in the Berkshire area of New England. It was in poor condition when I bought it, but I was 31 and had very little money. The second house was 2400 sq ft, a very plain ranch house with 5 acres of land and long views, in the same town. It was build from pre fabricated pieces and set down in the middle of an open field, off the road and hidden from view. No one knew it was there. Surrounded on 3 sides by land (about 2,000 acres) set aside forever as a natural preserve. As a building it was unremarkable but out the windows there was a beautiful private, quiet space that could not be invaded. We lived there for about 15 years, until a combination of events had us move all the way to Northern California. Another box of a wooden house in the suburbs, and then a townhouse about 900 feet uphill from the Bay, looking west directly at the Golden Gate Bridge and all of San Francisco Bay. I realize I may not have photos of any of the past places.

This townhouse is wood frame, built on a concrete slab with shallow footings. The wood sills are bolted to the concrete and the house is reinforced with triangulated bracing in the walls. Every interior wall is faced with half-inch plywood on one side, covered with wallboard. The house is built to withstand severe earthquake forces as we live in an active fault area and a intensity 6 or 7 earthquake is possible at any moment. The roof is cement tile. The neighborhood is prone to wildfires and everything burned to the foundation in 1991. The fires were so hot they burned the pavement in the streets. But the weather is very mild all year, the views are wonderful and the food is magnificent. It's worth double what I paid for it.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:09 am quote
Attila wrote:
Which post is this reply meant to be to?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:34 am quote
A bit late to the party, but thinking of our current house which is a bit boring...1960 frame ranch house. Life as a kid was a bit more interesting. Original house on the farm was an eastern-German (Silesian?) style housebarn. Half timber fachwerk design built shortly after the land was purchased around 1846. The space between the beams was originally a clay/straw mixture around vertical wooden slats, later filled in with more durable brick. Was abandoned as a house in the 1880s when the new farmhouse was built. Still used as a farm building...my dad had his shop in what would have been the kitchen. My sister and I adopted the bedrooms upstairs for play space for a while.

The "new' house that my mother still lives in was built of local (named Cream City) brick, made locally. The ground floor has three layers, second floor two layers. It doesn't move in the wind!

Circa 1930

Fairly current state

Hooked
BV250, BV500
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:00 pm quote
My friend's house was rebuilt in an area that had completely burned in a wildfire near the California coast, so it had to be earthquake safe and fire resistant as well. That can be difficult as masonry is generally a problem in earthquake construction because it's not flexible, but wood framing can support fire. After a lot of homework he and the architect designed a house built with steel frame in a "post and beam" arrangement, with earthquake bracing, and the open spaces were filled with some sort of insulating foam. The whole surface, inside and out was then sheathed and plastered with an epoxy based material, with somewhat different compositions on the outside and inside. The outside was left rough but the inside was smooth and then burnished to a semi-gloss shine, and left natural, no paint at all. The color is in the plaster material.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.2315s ][ Queries: 68 (0.1875s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]