OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa GTS250

Lurker
Vespa GTS250
UTC quote
I am a long time lurker and DIYer. Thanks to everyone for all of the DIY information you have shared over the years during which I have owned a 150, 200, and 250.

My question is about my 2007 GTS 250.

I went for a long ride yesterday. After a brief stop, the engine would turn over but not restart. It sounded like it was starving for fuel.

After checking that the spark plug cap and wire were connected, I figured it was probably the fuel pump. I waited maybe 20 minutes, then turned ignition on / off several times to prime the fuel pump. I could hear a whirring sound each time I turned the ignition on. It started.

No problem on several subsequent short rides.

If the fuel pump does this once, does this mean that I must replace it? Could this have been a one time only event? Wishful thinking, right?

I have read Cheeky Thomas' article and watched Robot's video on dropping the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump.

I will tackle this myself since my VIN is not covered by the recall.

I think that a 4 inch board under the center stand should give me enough clearance to drop the engine and remove the fuel tank. Or do I need a bit more, maybe 6 inches? Wish I had a scissors lift, but don't.

Any additional tips from anyone who has done this?

Thank you.
@boraxman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
@boraxman avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
I have an 07 with over 66K miles on it, never a fuel pump hick-up but I had to change the fuel injector once though. I would look at that first.

I also had mine stall hitting a bump, dropping it off the stand, etc. - turned out to be a sketchy wiring harness. I could move it while it was idling and make it die. Repositioned with a zip tie and never another problem.

Some other things to think about anyways....Luck with the fix/
UTC

Hooked
'06 GTS 250; '18 GTS 300; '21 Liberty 150

Hooked
'06 GTS 250; '18 GTS 300; '21 Liberty 150
UTC quote
I'm perhaps in the same boat. Mine's an '06 not covered by recall either. However it will randomly stop running when at a stop when warm. Very randomly. 80% no issues, but 20% requiring restarting / throttling up a bit when idling else it'll stall - that is not right.

I'm assuming fuel pump based on the history of these bikes and the symptoms.

Gonna give this replacement a go in the next 2-3 weeks I'll let you know how it goes. Never tried to do this before so it'll be an adventure.
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super
UTC quote
Mine was an 06, I bought in 2018 with 300 miles on it and fuel pump had issues. Would not start after riding had to cool done to prime. Not under recall but replaced pump. No issues after that
@gotmojo avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300, BV250

Hooked
@gotmojo avatar
GTS 300, BV250
UTC quote
Check the injector for cracks. The 250 is prone to them.

You don't need to buy the whole assembly. It's pretty straightforward to replace the pump once you have the tank dropped.

AND it's fairly inexpensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intank-Fuel-Pump-for-Piaggio-Vespa-GTS250-GTS-250-Beverly-2006-2012/291127467710?hash=item43c88c9ebe:g:YaIAAOSwX6tdXrWi

Wanna replace the filter too?

Don't buy the absurdly over priced piaggio OEM one.

This is the same part and 1/3 the price:

SWM-8000H0183
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC quote
I second the vote on Caltric fuel pumps. Excellent product, with great customer service. Double up scrap 2X12s under your center stand. Use another scrap 2x6 under the rear wheel. Undo the top shock nuts, and use the 2x6 under the rear tire to drop the whole assembly. Be careful of your coil wire why you are doing this. You should undo the plug wire first. You don't need a jack.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa GTS250

Lurker
Vespa GTS250
UTC quote
Thank you to everyone who responded.

Abner - - - I don't think I understand the purpose of the 2x6 under the rear wheel. Do I place this directly under the rear wheel to lift the wheel up? Is this for balance? Won't this reduce how far the engine drops? Or, are you saying that reducing how far the engine drops facilitates removal and installation of the fuel tank? I ask because I didn't see this mentioned by Robot or CheekyThomas.

Abner and GotMojo - - - How is the fuel pump connected to the assembly? Rivet? Bolt? Are there any problems I might encounter when switching out the Vespa oem fuel pump and the Caltric replacement? Will I need to fabricate something to attach the Caltric pump to the assembly after removing the oem pump? Will the fuel line likely be brittle and break when I change out the pumps? Robot cautioned about this in his video. A little nervous. Sorry for OCD.

Voodooskin - - - Good luck with your fuel pump replacement. Not sure if I will get to mine before or after you.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC quote
Use the board under the rear wheel as a fulcrum to raise the rear end. Spin the wheel as you feed the board under it. Lift at the end of the board to raise the rear end back into place. You don't really need it there to drop the engine, but it will stop if from falling suddenly.
@gotmojo avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300, BV250

Hooked
@gotmojo avatar
GTS 300, BV250
UTC quote
Two machine screws and a retaining washer. You'll have a harder time removing the fuel tube than you will with anything else. I got fed up, gave up, and used a short length of fuel hose and a pair of hose clamps.

OEM with the hose, Caltric without. Arrow points to post for star washer.
@anndee4444 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250

Hooked
@anndee4444 avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
FYI: The clips are tricky and easy to break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02g1rXJIDHY
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0102s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0039s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]