Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:06 pm

Member
Joined: 08 Dec 2020
Posts: 10

 
Member
Joined: 08 Dec 2020
Posts: 10

Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:06 pm linkquote
Hello

I bought a used 300 hpe sport here in London, UK
the previous owner hadn't had much use of it, and had it on a trickle charger.
It rode fine back home and again on another trip of c 2 miles.

I didnt ride for a week after, and the bike wouldn't start - dashboard showed c 10 volts.

I disconnected and charged up the battery, and the bike started fine. I checked the voltage at the terminals (with a multimeter) when running was c 14.5v which i presume means the stator works as well.

I left the bike for a couple days, and now it refuses to start again; 10.5 v on the dashboard.

Now, I presume I need a new battery. The one in the machine is YTZ14BS. The manual doesn't say a specific model, but its got a diagram with a yTX12BS in the picture. There is a specs table at the end that only says 12v with 10Ah.

So ... what battery do I need?
Also, I am just a bit concerned about parasitic leakage. Is there anything specific i should look at before ordering a battery?

thanks!
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:08 pm

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41431
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41431
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:08 pm linkquote
YTX14-BS OR YTX16-BS. Either will do.
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:03 am

Member
Joined: 08 Dec 2020
Posts: 10

 
Member
Joined: 08 Dec 2020
Posts: 10

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:03 am linkquote
ytx-14bs arrived ... but its about an inch taller than my old one!

got to see if it fits....
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:57 am

Member
Joined: 08 Dec 2020
Posts: 10

 
Member
Joined: 08 Dec 2020
Posts: 10

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:57 am linkquote
For what it's worth ..

The YTX14-BS is too tall to fit in the battery compartment. You cannot close the screw on 'lid'.

You can place the lid over the battery , but need longer screws, and it is no longer fully sealed. The seat does close, so there's that.

Will try to return the battery, else its an expensive lesson to check specs carefully
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:41 pm

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41431
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41431
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:41 pm linkquote
Is there no underneath battery tray that you can remove?
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm

Member
Joined: 08 Dec 2020
Posts: 10

 
Member
Joined: 08 Dec 2020
Posts: 10

Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm linkquote
Unfortunately, there is no tray underneath.
I am returning the YTX for a Motobatt equivalent of the YTZ
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 pm

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41431
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41431
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 pm linkquote
Fraunhofer wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no tray underneath.
I am returning the YTX for a Motobatt equivalent of the YTZ
Good luck with that. None of my Motobatts (I tried three) lasted more than a year. After six months of use they all began to self-discharge, eventually not holding enough charge to start after two weeks of standing. Pretty poor for an AGM design.

That all mine suffered in the same way may just be coincidence of course, and perhaps someone daily driving just one scooter wouldn't experience anything like that.
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:57 pm

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 22116
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 22116
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:57 pm linkquote
jimc wrote:
Fraunhofer wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no tray underneath.
I am returning the YTX for a Motobatt equivalent of the YTZ
Good luck with that. None of my Motobatts (I tried three) lasted more than a year. After six months of use they all began to self-discharge, eventually not holding enough charge to start after two weeks of standing. Pretty poor for an AGM design.

That all mine suffered in the same way may just be coincidence of course, and perhaps someone daily driving just one scooter wouldn't experience anything like that.
and I have had just the other experience with motobatt. I don't charge them . let them sit all winter long , might have to put an hour charge on them and fire up the scooters and good to go. buy new ones every 3 years or later.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:10 am

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
Joined: 22 Aug 2020
Posts: 51
Location: Croydon
 
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
Joined: 22 Aug 2020
Posts: 51
Location: Croydon
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:10 am linkquote
Fraunhofer wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no tray underneath.
I am returning the YTX for a Motobatt equivalent of the YTZ
Which model did you go for? This one? https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/mbtx12u-motobatt-agm-motorcycle-battery-12v-14ah-200cca---yb12bb2-ytx12bs-ytx14bs-ytx14hbs--15410-p.asp

Also, do you need a special kind of screwdriver to disconnect the terminals? I've tried a Phillips and a flathead with no success.

And yes, my old battery has only lasted 8 months! At least I hope it is the battery!
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:55 pm

Enthusiast
MP3 500 HPE 2019
Joined: 28 Jun 2022
Posts: 59

 
Enthusiast
MP3 500 HPE 2019
Joined: 28 Jun 2022
Posts: 59

Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:55 pm linkquote
imadequavers wrote:
Which model did you go for? This one? https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/mbtx12u-motobatt-agm-motorcycle-battery-12v-14ah-200cca---yb12bb2-ytx12bs-ytx14bs-ytx14hbs--15410-p.asp

Also, do you need a special kind of screwdriver to disconnect the terminals? I've tried a Phillips and a flathead with no success.

And yes, my old battery has only lasted 8 months! At least I hope it is the battery!
battery bolts are just a large philips unless they have been changed, because if you add on a pigtail for the battery, you might need longer bolts to catch the nut, I did on my hpe 500
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:00 am

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
Joined: 22 Aug 2020
Posts: 51
Location: Croydon
 
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
Joined: 22 Aug 2020
Posts: 51
Location: Croydon
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:00 am linkquote
Thanks - they're just done extra tight. Really annoying!
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:58 am

Addicted
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 869
Location: Belgium
 
Addicted
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 869
Location: Belgium
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:58 am linkquote
It doesn't hurt to use a drop of blue loctite on the threads to prevent them from loosening up due to vibration.

I always use a socket vs. a screwdriver since the screws tend to distord pretty easily.
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:01 am

Enthusiast
MP3 500 HPE 2019
Joined: 28 Jun 2022
Posts: 59

 
Enthusiast
MP3 500 HPE 2019
Joined: 28 Jun 2022
Posts: 59

Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:01 am linkquote
sbaert wrote:
It doesn't hurt to use a drop of blue loctite on the threads to prevent them from loosening up due to vibration.

I always use a socket vs. a screwdriver since the screws tend to distord pretty easily.
Totally agree with sbaert, also be careful to not overtighten, the poles on batteries are like butter and snap quite easily, far better just snugged down with a bit of blue
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0337s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0114s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]