OP
@themrmalone avatar
UTC

2005 ET4 150

@themrmalone avatar
2005 ET4 150
UTC quote
Morning all! I'm still on the hunt for my wheels and came across a 2006 GTS 250 with about 21k miles on it for 2k.

I understand miles are also about how well the maintenance etc was done, but how many miles is too many miles?

The scooter looks immaculate and the owner says it was well maintained.

Thoughts?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@boraxman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
@boraxman avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
I would jump on that, maybe try offering 1800. I wouldnt ask less than 2K for mine at 66k miles.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Sounds good to me. I'd be more interested in maintenance quality than miles in this situation....should have quite a bit of life in it yet!

Interesting looking seat cover....
OP
@themrmalone avatar
UTC

2005 ET4 150

@themrmalone avatar
2005 ET4 150
UTC quote
Yeah that's gonna be the question. When I go to check it out is there anything specific I should look for? Other than the fact it runs etc has. Evidence of oil somewhere, etc?
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
Maybe ask to see if he has any records of what work was done to it, like oil changes, brakes, belts and slider?
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
I bought my GTS250 with 22000 miles on the clock. I'd buy that one too if it wasn't black.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC quote
Right off the bat, pull the dipstick. Look at the color and the level of the oil. Remove the right knee pad (might be a torx bit, only do if engine is cool) and look at the color and level of the coolant. See if he has any receipts for work done. Bring a little allen wrench and remove one of the brake fluid reservoir covers. Clean the reservoir cover with a clean rag and remove the two philips screws. Look at the color and level of the brake fluid. Slide your fingernail across both rotors. Are they grooved heavily, does your nail catch at the edge of the rotor. I'm giving you ammo to get the price reduced. The scooter looks in good shape and well loved. The miles don't scare me. That seems to be a good price.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC quote
Looks like he is down to $1,850, Go get it!
⚠️ Last edited by Abner_Bjorn on UTC; edited 1 time
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
I'll put a horse in this race

15-18 would be rate

But remember, you're buying a fourteen year old bike.

Back in the day, my dad always said: brakes, tires and a battery when ya buy it.

So expect to spend about 1k beyond purchase price.

And look for any obvious signs of leakage, oil or more importantly coolant

-g
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
Yea, if that was in Central NY instead of AZ I might be tempted to offer $1,800 myself.

Would not even mind the black color as it would look nice sitting between my 1988 Black Sportster an my 1982 Black XS650.
OP
@themrmalone avatar
UTC

2005 ET4 150

@themrmalone avatar
2005 ET4 150
UTC quote
Thanks for all the input all. Just waiting on $ to pull the trigger! Appreciate the heads up on things to look for!
UTC

Enthusiast
2023 Vespa GTS 300

Enthusiast
2023 Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Most important. Does he have a legitimate title and I underscore the word legitimate?
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
joehouston wrote:
Most important. Does he have a legitimate title and I underscore the word legitimate?
Yes! that would be a major thing to be sure of! Sometimes the paper work is many times more important than the condition of a machine! Rebuilding something like the brakes could be cheaper than the cost of getting paperwork straightened out in some states.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I am aware of several 250 and 300 GTS models that easily got to 50,000 miles with no issue.

A couple of those needed major engine work once they got around 60,000.

I have a GT that made it to 76,000 miles on it's original engine.

That one now has 30,000 miles on the new engine.

And I have another GT with 34,000 miles.

So, 21,000 is nothing as long as the maintenance was followed reasonably well.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this one.

Bill
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
And it must have the brick-red master key, needed to make duplicates.

Ask if fuel pump has been replaced. Early gts has fuel pump issues. Piaggio issued recall. About 1hour shop time plus new pump

Miguel
UTC

2001 ET 4 2007 LX 150 2014 GTS 300 Super Sport

2001 ET 4 2007 LX 150 2014 GTS 300 Super Sport
UTC quote
GTS 250
I am looking at one big clue that no one is commenting about! Look at the seat! It looks like it has a lumpy crappy cover over who knows what! Has the scooter lived outside in the sun. What else is compromised from sitting out? Just saying! If this is the level of care that this bike has gotten, how are the tires, hoses, speedo bezel, etc!
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
Re: GTS 250
keenkut wrote:
I am looking at one big clue that no one is commenting about! Look at the seat! It looks like it has a lumpy crappy cover over who knows what! Has the scooter lived outside in the sun. What else is compromised from sitting out? Just saying! If this is the level of care that this bike has gotten, how are the tires, hoses, speedo bezel, etc!
It could be the current owner didn't like the riding comfort of the original saddle and decided to get it re-covered but yes, it definitely needs checking out. Also the speedo display, check it is nice and clear, many of the early 250's LCD displays suffer from sun damage. You can repair them, but if it shows signs of deterioration, it could be a lever to get the price down.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
this bike. It won't last, unless there's
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
Bring a little allen wrench and remove one of the brake fluid reservoir covers. Clean the reservoir cover with a clean rag and remove the two philips screws. .
As soon as some dumbass pulls out tools to take something I'm selling apart, the show's over.
While people are filling the op's head with nonsense about what to do or ddmand, and paranoid fantasies about legitimate titles, because of that international band of n'er do wells running across your lawn at night and cranking out bastard titles for used vespas,, someone else is cashing their Covid check to go buy this bike. Unless the entire left side is missing, this bike won't be for sale long. It's a $2000 vespa that runs at the start of riding season.
themrmalone wrote:
Thoughts?
It's an Italian motor vehicle. It wasn't particularly reliable when they made it. It's probably less reliable now. But there's a lot more than $2000 worth of joie de vivre left in it. I would buy it if I had two grand and wanted a Vespa.
⚠️ Last edited by Motovista on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@themrmalone avatar
UTC

2005 ET4 150

@themrmalone avatar
2005 ET4 150
UTC quote
Haha too true. Unfortunately this 250 and another 250 I was looking at both sold before I could get the $$ together.

Lesson? Don't look until I have the money in hand lol.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
It's that time of year. Another trap to avoid is asking on forums what something is worth. You will get someone who owns the same year, make and model telling you that, after you do all the unusual things they suggest and make out of kilter demands, the bike someone else is selling is worth about $3000 less than the one they own. It's weird. Another thing that doesn't matter when you are buying a used Vespa is KBB or NADA value. Most used Vespas are worth well above book value. Color does affect the value quite a bit. A red or black one will sell faster and hold value best.
Denitely keep looking while you wait . You are getting a good sense of your local market and will have a better idea of what it takes to own what you wany when you're ready.
Don't let the online nonsense about needing complete service records or strategies that involve telling the seller a bike that starts and runs well is going to need a laundry list of new parts to get the price down keep you from acting when the opportunity presents itself and you are ready.
OP
@themrmalone avatar
UTC

2005 ET4 150

@themrmalone avatar
2005 ET4 150
UTC quote
The other deciding factor is for about three Pryce I've been seeing the older 250s go for I could save a tad more and get a new piaggio liberty 150. So that's another thing in ponderimg now.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
themrmalone wrote:
The other deciding factor is for about three Pryce I've been seeing the older 250s go for I could save a tad more and get a new piaggio liberty 150. So that's another thing in ponderimg now.
Make a list of everything good about owning a Vespa, and another list of everything bad about owning a Vespa, then burn the list of everything good. Once you remove the crunchy metal outer shell, you are left with a two wheeled Fiat. Have you ever met a happy long term Fiat owner who didn't seem just a little nuts?
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
My 2009 GTS 250 has over 140K kilometers on the clock. But I swapped out the engine at 125K.

As others have said, your bigger concern is the other things that can go wrong on an older scoot... not the engine; that's bulletproof (assuming it got regular service).
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
themrmalone wrote:
Make a list of everything good about owning a Vespa, and another list of everything bad about owning a Vespa, then burn the list of everything good. Once you remove the crunchy metal outer shell, you are left with a two wheeled Fiat. Have you ever met a happy long term Fiat owner who didn't seem just a little nuts?
Laughing emoticon

Funny, but why so angry?
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
themrmalone wrote:
Between my wife and me, we have had three Fiats over the years.

I had a 1970ish 124 Sport Coupe, she had a late 1970's Brava.

Together we owned a Uno of unknown vintage.

All were fun to drive but not very dependable.

In our last few days of owning the Uno, we drove it to Cup Match.

As we approached a parking space, it stopped running. We pushed into the space and had fun for a few hours.

When we came back it didn't start, so we took a bus and taxi home and called for a tow.

It was a broken timing belt.

It is always something.

But I love my Vespas.

They are perfect.

Mostly.

Bill
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
After a bit over five years' ownership, I managed to cross a milestone of sorts today with Melody::
To paraphrase Mae West, it's not the miles in your life, but the life in your miles.
To paraphrase Mae West, it's not the miles in your life, but the life in your miles.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Motovista wrote:
themrmalone wrote:
Between my wife and me, we have had three Fiats over the years.

I had a 1970ish 124 Sport Coupe, she had a late 1970's Brava.

Together we owned a Uno of unknown vintage.

All were fun to drive but not very dependable.

In our last few days of owning the Uno, we drove it to Cup Match.

As we approached a parking space, it stopped running. We pushed into the space and had fun for a few hours.

When we came back it didn't start, so we took a bus and taxi home and called for a tow.

It was a broken timing belt.

It is always something.

But I love my Vespas.

They are perfect.

Mostly.

Bill
That's interesting Bill.

The highest mileage GTS250 I've seen (I serviced it) had over 82,000 trouble free miles on it. All it had replaced, apart from normal everyday service items and consumables was a clutch, water pump, and variator and driven pulleys. It had a full dealer service history. The highest mileage GTS300 I've serviced had over 92,000 miles. Again, it had the usual replacements as per the above 250, but an extra variator and I replaced the camchain as a precaution as the original one was wearing. There are plenty of GTS bikes that go 100,000 miles over here with no rebuilding of the main engine components. I took a chance on rethreading the crank variator side for someone on a high mileage GTS300. It worked ok and was done in situ, not easy on such a hardened component, but I had the tools handy. I had to take the thread size down a whole 1mm and re-cut. Actually made a new size nut from scratch to be an exact fit. It isn't something I would recommend, you need to be very competent at engineering on such a highly stressed component, and it was difficult to do but the bike went for many thousands of miles more without trouble. 18mths later he traded it in for another new GTS300 on which he now has 40,000 miles in 4 years. This one should go much further as we do the belt and rollers at 8k miles, reducing the wear on the crank threads by 50%.

My wife and I, back in the day had an Fiat Uno 70 SX. It had the 1300cc 4cyl petrol engine. It was injected not carbed. We had that little motor for 9 years from new and put 140,000 trouble free miles on it. It didn't rust, never broke down and ran like a top. Averaged around 49mpg. After that we bought two second-hand Fiat vans with about 6k miles on the clock to run alongside two brand new Ford Transits (the big ones). We kept the Fiats for 10 years until they had around 150-160,000 miles on them. We got rid of the Transits with only 60,000 miles on the clock as they rusted terrible everywhere and broke down on various occasions (in spite of regular dealer servicing). We replaced them with more Fiats. Never had trouble with any of our Fiats. All dealer serviced by a very good Fiat dealer.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
After a bit over five years' ownership, I managed to cross a milestone of sorts today with Melody::
A palindrome.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0370s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0129s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]