OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS300 HPE

Hooked
2020 GTS300 HPE
UTC quote
I don't know the 'politically correct' word for the cheap scooters, but business is very brisk there. Unloading lots of boxes, lots of scooters on the lot. And, a 3 wheel scooter that looks like a 'senior citizen' scooter'. Well, that would at least get them away from using their riding mowers to get around town. One old guy actually hit my truck! Ok, more like bumper cars.

Those scooters are noisy, which I guess is good, because lots of kids seem to be getting them. And NO helmets. Apparently, anything goes.

These scooters are pretty much the "BIC" lighter of scooters. Disposable. It's a classy town. What can I say.
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
Re: imitation scooter business in town is jumping
priscillaj wrote:
I don't know the 'politically correct' word for the cheap scooters, but business is very brisk there. Unloading lots of boxes, lots of scooters on the lot. And, a 3 wheel scooter that looks like a 'senior citizen' scooter'. Well, that would at least get them away from using their riding mowers to get around town. One old guy actually hit my truck! Ok, more like bumper cars.

Those scooters are noisy, which I guess is good, because lots of kids seem to be getting them. And NO helmets. Apparently, anything goes.

These scooters are pretty much the "BIC" lighter of scooters. Disposable. It's a classy town. What can I say.
pics?

here in TO we have these "emmo" bikes, and i think the people that sell them are telling the buyers that they are allowed on the streets, which they arent, they are supposed to be in bike lanes, but they look alot like vespas, so when we drive by they see us and think oh! i can drive in the streets too! and not only slow down traffic, but are dangerous drivers cause they dont know what theyre doing. im all for green transportation but i wish TO would start ticketing these things...
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
You talking about China scooters? Like Peace, Tao Tao, VIP, etc? Our local Genuine dealer sells 30 China scooters for every 50cc Genuine scooter easy. It comes down to price. When this shop opened he only carried Adly, Kymco and Bintelli. Then he got Genuine. He said he wasn't selling the super cheap Chinese scooters, to much trouble. Now he sells them. All the brands he said he would never sell. Has adds on Offer and Craigs with lines like "$699 OTR! Free helmet included!" or "Best deal in town! Ride today! No more bus!" or my favorite "Bus Busters! Buy your freedom!". That shop is hoppin'! Always busy when I go past it. I tell my wife he sells drugs out of it and the scooters are just to wash/launder the dope income!
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
UTC quote
The shop we have here is the same as the ones everywhere. They have a large inventory that seems to move. He did start selling TGB which is a decent 2 stroke Taiwanese product. He has done well selling 150cc scoots and peeling the 1 off so it says 50 and doing paperwork for a 50cc moped. I have run across a few of them and helped them out by doing maintanance on them. They all have stories about how bad the service from the shop is. As I always say, you get what you pay for.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The money in selling Chinese scooters is not in selling Chinese scooters. It's in keeping them on the road.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
The money in selling Chinese scooters is not in selling Chinese scooters. It's in keeping them on the road.
And pay for certified disposal as special waste.
In Italy for every vehicle (which is homologated with a license plate, practically all except bicycles and electric mono skates) that you have to throw away you have to pay and prove that you have given it to a disposal company (junkyard).
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Hummus2 wrote:
priscillaj wrote:

pics?

here in TO we have these "emmo" bikes, and i think the people that sell them are telling the buyers that they are allowed on the streets, which they arent, they are supposed to be in bike lanes, but they look alot like vespas, so when we drive by they see us and think oh! i can drive in the streets too! and not only slow down traffic, but are dangerous drivers cause they dont know what theyre doing. im all for green transportation but i wish TO would start ticketing these things...
You and me both. Many of them ride like idiots as well. Last fall I remember having to slam the brakes in the BMW at Portland and Adelaide as one of them ran a red light going the wrong way. With the huge uptick in food delivery due to the lockdowns it's even worse.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Sorry back to back post. Just easier than editing in iOS.

Those e-bikes are starting to look more and more like motorbikes. Hell this one even has saddlebags and an "engine".
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Banned
LX50

Banned
LX50
UTC quote
Pinkscooter wrote:
The shop we have here is the same as the ones everywhere. They have a large inventory that seems to move. He did start selling TGB which is a decent 2 stroke Taiwanese product. He has done well selling 150cc scoots and peeling the 1 off so it says 50 and doing paperwork for a 50cc moped. I have run across a few of them and helped them out by doing maintanance on them. They all have stories about how bad the service from the shop is. As I always say, you get what you pay for.
Tampering with the paperwork like that is going to have legal consequences no? Also, how is it that this shop is selling 2 strokes? I thought 2 strokes were banned, like, everywhere now. Sounds like a scofflaw in your midst and he's goin' down, just a matter of time. Is there no law in NC?
UTC

Banned
LX50

Banned
LX50
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I thought parts for these were not entirely available in all cases. Like if they break they go to the scrapyard, the end. I detest these Chinese scooters as they are ugly tacky cheap and low class. They just look like garbage on wheels.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
I've seen engine cases cut in half and the metallurgy was appallingly poor. Also the wiring is made as cheaply as possible, with only a few strands of the finest gauge wire.

Many of these are built to the cheapest price point possible. Anyone who is looking to ride seriously and long term should avoid these bargain bikes.

There can be quality bikes built in China, depends on the company selling these bikes to put quality controls in place. My 2010 Piaggio Fly was made in China; I put 22k miles on that bike. I had a stator go bad at about 10K miles, that was the only issue aside from the evap system.
UTC

Banned
LX50

Banned
LX50
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
I've seen engine cases cut in half and the metallurgy was appallingly poor. Also the wiring is made as cheaply as possible, with only a few strands of the finest gauge wire.

Many of these are built to the cheapest price point possible. Anyone who is looking to ride seriously and long term should avoid these bargain bikes.

There can be quality bikes built in China, depends on the company selling these bikes to put quality controls in place. My 2010 Piaggio Fly was made in China; I put 22k miles on that bike. I had a stator go bad at about 10K miles, that was the only issue aside from the evap system.
Well that's different because it is a Piaggio product made in China. Piaggio can specify a certain level of QC. If the product doesn't pass QC it is not sold. The nonames specify a very low level of QC so they can undercut other companies in the marketplace easier. That's one point of cheapness, there are plenty more. I would go so far as to say these scooters are probably the opposite of safe to ride. The Gogoro electric scooters are made in Taiwan and appear to have a decent level of quality, but not available here. I'm not buying one of those half-baked Vespa Elettricas because $8k for 35mph is not gonna cut it. I don't think Piaggio even expects anyone to buy those at that price.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
booger wrote:
Pinkscooter wrote:
Tampering with the paperwork like that is going to have legal consequences no? Also, how is it that this shop is selling 2 strokes? I thought 2 strokes were banned, like, everywhere now. Sounds like a scofflaw in your midst and he's goin' down, just a matter of time. Is there no law in NC?
In States where 50cc scooters don't need registrations or insurance illegal 150cc happen all the time. I spent time in Connecticut I saw a few 150s carrying "Moped" plates. I know the difference between a Chinese 150 GY6 and a 50cc by sight. Apparently the Police don't. Unless the owner gets caught going too fast no one is the wiser.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0218s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0070s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]