@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Hey all, I've spoken to a bunch of you before. I'm restoring a 64 VBB and am almost at the point of testing the engine. I want to test it in the stand first rather than in the frame. Since the engine hasn't run in years since being rebuilt, everything is dry. Obviously I'd add oil to the case, but about the cylinder, etc. is there a proper procedure I should follow?
Thanks
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
With it sitting that long, any prelube has probably migrated to the bottom of the case. I would pull the spark plug. Spray some two stroke premix into the carburetor with the throttle slide open to the case. Spin the motor by hand while your spraying to lube up the internals a bit. Spray some premix into the cylinder as well. Kick it over a few times to get the mixture circulated. Put a few drops of two stroke oil in the inlet of the carburetor also. Then put the plug back in and try starting it. There will be a little lube on the bearing and other wear surfaces that way.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Thanks
Thanks Chris,
That's a huge help. I knew there had to be something I should do to 'pre-lube' the cylinder, etc.
Stay tuned for the inaugural start. Scooter emoticon Scooter emoticon
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa T5 251, Lambretta GP200

Enthusiast
Vespa T5 251, Lambretta GP200
UTC quote
Whenever I start an engine that has been left for a while I remove suppressor cap and do flooding starts. Take plug out to confirm that it is well wet, have a nice cup of tea and then start as normal.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0124s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0045s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]