@vpfalcon avatar
UTC

Addicted
86 T5, 71 Rally 180

Addicted
@vpfalcon avatar
86 T5, 71 Rally 180
UTC quote
Working on headset electricals for 63 GL. I had to start from scratch with this headset. I ordered a trapezoid headlight, found a speedo, new tubes, grips. I'm using a BGM wiring harness and P200 motor, no battery, no autolube, no turn signals. I got some advice from Mattgyver over at Mercado for the engine/stator wiring. (Thanks Matt). Now I'm dealing with the headset.
The directions from BGM for the headlight are basically "these 4 wires to headlamp" I'm not sure about the type of connectors to use, maybe bullet type?
Here are some photos of what I'm dealing with.
Female connectors on light receptacle are 5.5 mm diameter
If anyone has dealt with the BGM conversion, or the Elma headlight connections, I could use the help
Thanks
Headlight socket
Headlight socket
SIP connectors, which I don’t have
SIP connectors, which I don’t have
Part of harness that goes to headlight
Part of harness that goes to headlight
The rest of headset wiring, ( some wires are probably not needed)
The rest of headset wiring, ( some wires are probably not needed)
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Here's the diagram. Those are the correct connectors. The wires also look correct.

Do you have a switch?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
Re: GL headlamp connectors
Vpfalcon wrote:
Working on headset electricals for 63 GL. I had to start from scratch with this headset. I ordered a trapezoid headlight, found a speedo, new tubes, grips. I'm using a BGM wiring harness and P200 motor, no battery, no autolube, no turn signals. I got some advice from Mattgyver over at Mercado for the engine/stator wiring. (Thanks Matt). Now I'm dealing with the headset.
The directions from BGM for the headlight are basically "these 4 wires to headlamp" I'm not sure about the type of connectors to use, maybe bullet type?
Here are some photos of what I'm dealing with.
Female connectors on light receptacle are 5.5 mm diameter
If anyone has dealt with the BGM conversion, or the Elma headlight connections, I could use the help
Thanks
who did you buy the harness from? Did you try with them first?
OP
@vpfalcon avatar
UTC

Addicted
86 T5, 71 Rally 180

Addicted
@vpfalcon avatar
86 T5, 71 Rally 180
UTC quote
I got the harness from Mercado, the headlamp from SiP, sip probably also has the correct connectors, I'll try to order them thru Mercado.
OP
@vpfalcon avatar
UTC

Addicted
86 T5, 71 Rally 180

Addicted
@vpfalcon avatar
86 T5, 71 Rally 180
UTC quote
I do have a 12 volt switch
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
I don't think the switch cares if 6 or 12V is going through it ... you're not running a battery are you?
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
Vpfalcon wrote:
I got the harness from Mercado, the headlamp from SiP, sip probably also has the correct connectors, I'll try to order them thru Mercado.
ScooterMercato should be able to give you full tech support on it. Have you tried calling them?
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
UTC quote
These guys kill it. Get the crimper too. Those are standard bullet connectors.

http://vintageconnections.com/
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
UTC quote
The wires coming out the headset screws into your 12v switch. The separate wires screws into the 12v switch and back out to the headset for the headlights and speedo light. The wires with the circle is the ground to the headset.

You will need bullet connectors as mentioned but prob can find them at a hardware store, or on Amazon for faster delivery vs SIP. I'm not aware of an aftermarket wiring loom having the bullet connectors for a GL headlight. You may need bullet connectors for you horn as some original horns had bullet connectors.

Depending on the switch you're using, the wiring diagram below may help with the wire colors going to the switch and back out to the headset. If the colors don't match a multimeter will help verifying where the wires are coming from.
Also, this diagram has detail for different types of switches. https://studylib.net/doc/18653785/beedspeed-conversion-wiring-diagram-for-rally--sprint

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Looking at your SIP pic of the headlight plug, the high and low beam bulb for headlights goes on the bottom socket and has two connectors for the bulb. The switch purple wires goes on the left and the switch brown wire goes to the right. The socket above is the pilot light and the blue wire goes to the bulb from the switch. I will have to research the last connection on the headlight plug which I think is a ground.

I hope that can get you started until more info is available.
OP
@vpfalcon avatar
UTC

Addicted
86 T5, 71 Rally 180

Addicted
@vpfalcon avatar
86 T5, 71 Rally 180
UTC quote
ScooterMercato should be able to give you full tech support on it. Have you tried calling them?[/quote]
Thanks Gickspeed,
Mercato support has been awesome. I see now that they sell the socket, ($6) for the headlight that I have, and I'm betting that it uses spade connectors which is what is on the wiring loom.
Thanks to Rowdy and SoCal too!
OP
@vpfalcon avatar
UTC

Addicted
86 T5, 71 Rally 180

Addicted
@vpfalcon avatar
86 T5, 71 Rally 180
UTC quote
The auto shop that works on my car had the connectors, they put them on for me too, no charge. The wiring diagrams helped a lot. I think I have the switch and lighting wired correctly. I'm waiting now for a speedometer bracket, the one on my repop speedo is wrong, couldn't install the headlight because the incorrect bracket was in the way.
Wrong
Wrong
Correct bracket
Correct bracket
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0158s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0069s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]