OP
UTC

Sr 125

Sr 125
UTC quote
Updated info:
I have a 2016 Aprilia SR 125 and I live in Cambodia. There is only one Vespa dealership here that believes 1 spark plug model fits every single make and model Piaggio that has ever been made which reflects their serviceability. They do not speak English and I don't speak Khmer.

My belt broke (Gates Powerlink 879057 789 x 22.2) and they installed a Piaggio belt P/N 841213. I believe that is an 814 x 22.2 mm belt, can someone confirm? They also installed new roller weights, Piaggio P/N B019236. I cannot tell if those are correct by googling.

The problem is the bike is dog slow now. It never reaches higher RPMs, anywhere- slow, mid, nor higher speeds. The bike accelerates smoothly from a stop until 80 k/mh, just slow. The dealership is telling me that the belt needs to be broke in. Is this true?

TIA for any honest suggestions,
Brian
⚠️ Last edited by ravensnest1 on UTC; edited 5 times
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Re: Drive Belt Change and Dealership Problems- Help Needed
ravensnest1 wrote:
The bike is now dog slow and cannot or will not build RPM's. The dealership tells me that the parts need to be broke in. Is this true?

Can't speak to your other questions, but breaking in? I doubt it. If anything, owners are usually delighted with the slight bump of performance after replacing transmission parts.....
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
If the dealer won't fit the correct parts, buy them and fit them yourself. There's plenty of advice on MV to accomplish this. The parts and tools come to less than you'd pay the dealer anyway.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Re: Drive Belt Change and Dealership Problems- Help Needed
ravensnest1 wrote:
Updated info:
I have a 2016 Aprilia SR 125 and I live in Cambodia. There is only one Vespa dealership here that believes 1 spark plug model fits every single make and model Piaggio that has ever been made which reflects their serviceability. They do not speak English and I don't speak Khmer.

My belt broke (Gates Powerlink 879057 789 x 22.2) and they installed a Piaggio belt P/N 841213. I believe that is an 814 x 22.2 mm belt, can someone confirm? They also installed new roller weights, Piaggio P/N B019236. I cannot tell if those are correct by googling.

The problem is the bike is dog slow now. It never reaches higher RPMs, anywhere- slow, mid, nor higher speeds. The bike accelerates smoothly from a stop until 80 k/mh, just slow. The dealership is telling me that the belt needs to be broke in. Is this true?

TIA for any honest suggestions,
Brian
Going from 789 to 814 mm is a big difference and if the engine hasn't got the torque to get there, you will be slower, not faster.. You can't reach top RPM with a higher gear unless you also have the power available to get there..

There is nothing to break in.. You just got the wrong ratio belt for your engine size if the numbers you quoted are correct..
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
If they put lighter rollers in without changing the contra spring, not good. My SH has 12g rollers stock. I tried 9g rollers and my throttle was wide open at 35MPH and it took way longer to get to top speed.
I didn't know what was wrong at the time, so I went back to 12g. After I bought a Malossi variator kit, I noticed that it included a stronger contra spring. When you use deductive reasoning you can figure out that the driven pulley opens up too soon changing the gear ratio. Kinda like starting out in first gear on a bicycle and shifting to 7th gear without using the gears in between.
OP
UTC

Sr 125

Sr 125
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
If the dealer won't fit the correct parts, buy them and fit them yourself. There's plenty of advice on MV to accomplish this. The parts and tools come to less than you'd pay the dealer anyway.
Good tip, thanks. The bike is not sold in the US, but I can order elsewhere. It's popular in India. but every dealer I've called there will not ship out of the country. One dealer rep actually said, "How can I do that?" lol

I am knowledgeable on how to rebuild big bikes. It's my first scooter and auto. I have 0 personal experience experimenting with weights, belts, etc.
OP
UTC

Sr 125

Sr 125
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
If they put lighter rollers in without changing the contra spring, not good. My SH has 12g rollers stock. I tried 9g rollers and my throttle was wide open at 35MPH and it took way longer to get to top speed.
I didn't know what was wrong at the time, so I went back to 12g. After I bought a Malossi variator kit, I noticed that it included a stronger contra spring. When you use deductive reasoning you can figure out that the driven pulley opens up too soon changing the gear ratio. Kinda like starting out in first gear on a bicycle and shifting to 7th gear without using the gears in between.
This is exactly what I've been thinking about, the wrong weights installed. 👍

If the wrong weight were installed, would it cause the bike to run great at either slow speed or high speed?

edit:
I've been doing a lot of studying. 2-stroke stuffing summed it up pretty well by saying lighter weights cause the variator to shift at higher RPMs and heavier weights the opposite (low RPMs). So, I'm wondering if they installed heavier weights. She's consistently slow (RPMs never build) from 0 - 60 mph.
OP
UTC

Sr 125

Sr 125
UTC quote
Shi-oot. They installed the wrong weights. They installed P/N B019236 roller weights which I now see, are 15.3 gr. My bike calls for 8.5 gr (P/N CM1038035).

Thanks to each of you for the help.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0149s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0082s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]