OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hi Vespa lovers,
so long story short my father had a vespa PX200E since 1990s that we still have now. It came to my mind that I want to fix it! It is totally unusable so I guess pretty mych EVERYTHING must be replaced (i will post 3 pics of it). The question is, how much do you think this whole project will cost if I bring it to a proffesional (will it be the same as buying a used vespa?) And the other question is how much of it can I do on my own, as a guy with ZERO knowledge on vehicles and mechanics! Thank you in advance!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@67gt125 avatar
UTC

Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin

Addicted
@67gt125 avatar
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
UTC quote
Browse this forum
This will probably get scooted over to the "Not so modern" section. But, that's a great place to look.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn and do yourself if you are willing to read and research.

I wouldn't call it totally unusable. But, yeah, it'll need to be freshened up.

Likely a motor teardown, clean, new seals, etc.
Clutch
Battery
Tires
Carburetor gone over
Gas tank cleaned

If you really want to keep it, I suggest looking at one aspect at a time and reading/learning as much as you can.

Engine teardown may be intimidating as a newbie, so start small.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Re: Browse this forum
67GT125 wrote:
This will probably get scooted over to the "Not so modern" section. But, that's a great place to look.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn and do yourself if you are willing to read and research.

Clutch
Battery
Tires
Carburetor gone over
Gas tank cleaned

If you really want to keep it, I suggest looking at one aspect at a time and reading/learning as much as you can.

Hi there,
thank you so much for your fast reply! Could you mby get an estimate of the price:
a) if it is done by a professional
b) only for the cost of the parts if I buy them seperately

thank you
@67gt125 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@67gt125 avatar
UTC quote
krasoydakis wrote:
67GT125 wrote:

Clutch
Battery
Tires
Carburetor gone over
Gas tank cleaned

Hi there,
thank you so much for your fast reply! Could you mby get an estimate of the price:

thank you
You'd have to take it into a shop for that. Without seeing the bike, one can only guess at what it may need. Price also depends a lot on what country you are in, if you have a "scooter" mechanic, or motorcycle shop, etc...

Parts: https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en

That will help in pricing out parts.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
67GT125 wrote:
krasoydakis wrote:
67GT125 wrote:

Clutch
Battery
Tires
Carburetor gone over
Gas tank cleaned

Hi there,

thank you
You'd have to take it into a shop for that. Without seeing the bike, one can only guess at what it may need. Price also depends a lot on what country you are in, if you have a "scooter" mechanic, or motorcycle shop, etc...

Parts: https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en

That will help in pricing out parts.
Thank you again!
My last question is, where would you suggest me to search considering vintage vespas restoration? Are there any specific groups, sites, etc that you know of? Also, do you have any manual to suggest for a newb like me ?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Moved to the Not So Modern section, where you will get the very best advice.
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
Where are you located? that could help someone suggest a place to take it to if you want to go that route.

If you want to try doing it yourself.. start at the ground up. First look to see if the gas tank is rusty or not? If not, try adding gas. Does it have an oil tank? If so, add 2 stroke oil to the oil tank. If no separate oil tank, add 2% oil to the gas. Then try to see if it will start.

General basics of trying to get a long time sat scooter running:

1. gearbox oil change
2. carb disassembly, clean and reassembly with new gaskets, float and float needle.
3. fuel/2 stroke oil.. do they flow?
4. if all else done, does it start? If not, does the spark plug spark at all?

You can most likely get it to run with all those things done. Once it starts, then you can start working down the list of all the other things that may or may not need to be touched.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0102s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0039s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]