OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Hi everyone,

New to Vespa and this forum. Live in Edmonton, AB Canada. Just got our first Vespa, a 2021 Primavera 50cc Sean Wotherspoon edition.

So far it's great, BUT one concern. While we have driven other small 50cc engines before, we are challenged with the Vespa barely being able to hit 42km/h(25mpH). We know there is a break-in period, is there a reason we can't get it above this speed? Note, we both were riding as singles. My wife is 120lbs and I am 180lbs, both trying the same flat/level route in our home area.

Thank you!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Does this have a red maroon bottom of speedometer?
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Harry brenner wrote:
Does this have a red maroon bottom of speedometer?
Not that I see. Image attached. I know in the US there is a "limited" version with limited speed, don't even think you can get that in Canada, nor is that what our sales slip or model information relate to.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Speedometer has 2 red marks at top 25 to 45 max. If it only goes 25 I believe their is probably a issue. I also have one for my wife and it does 45 easy.what does the dealer say?
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I was told there are two 50 cc engines with 2 hp .I believe this has a 4.6 hp
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
4.1 and 4.6 hp
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Harry brenner wrote:
Speedometer has 2 red marks at top 25 to 45 max. If it only goes 25 I believe their is probably a issue. I also have one for my wife and it does 45 easy.what does the dealer say?
My speedometer is km/h. I can barely get it above the 45km/h which is 23mph. I called my dealer. He does feel it's slow, but thinks after driven it to 100km (about 60miles) it should break in more.

I questioned him if somehow the factory accidentally labelled ours as a 50cc instead of a Limited? He said he has never heard of that and our scooters for Canada are made side by side the US ones but said it's no impossible.

As of now we have driven it about 40km. If by 100km it doesn't get faster, we are going to take it in to get troubleshooted. He said he has got the same engine up to nearly 70km/h (43mph).

We got it as a little weekend fun city cruiser. Don't expect it to go above 45mph, but definitely needs to keep up with local city traffic at 50-60km/h (31-38mph).
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Good look like I said my wife's will do about 45 and has 55 miles on it thanks
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Does it get to 45 in a hurry and then just kinda stop or does it take a while to get there?
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Harry brenner wrote:
Good look like I said my wife's will do about 45 and has 55 miles on it thanks
When yo I say your wife's does 45, is that 45 miles per hour or 45 kilometres per hour?
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Does it get to 45 in a hurry and then just kinda stop or does it take a while to get there?
Goes to about 30-35km/h then slowly creeps to 42-45km/h.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Within EU countries, 45 km/h is the max allowed top speed for 50cc scoots.

Around here, those manufacturers that has Europe among the largest market areas tend to make their scoots for this 45 km/h spec. Others, e.g. many Chinese manufacturers, limit the speed with various ways for the units sold here.

Vespa... I don't have any facts, but I'll guess the 50cc models could be designed for this 45 km/h limit?

The reason I personally had a 125cc Vespa instead of a 50cc when I did was the lack of top speed for my local roads. Funnily enough, I also then learned that the 50cc and 125cc Sprint has almost the same weight and virtually the same dimensions - having a 125cc did not take anything away from the traditional 'small scoot' feeling I was after! I had a MC license already, so a 125cc was an easy choise for me.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
It does sound like it shipped restricted. Your dealer should be able to derestrict it if that is the case.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
It does take a little time to get to 45 but not bad.When we purchased this I asked the service manager about restrictions and he said he would take care of it.I do not know what he did but it is faster than our lx with a carb. He did say not to open it up until she gets 50 miles on it.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
It does sound like it shipped restricted. Your dealer should be able to derestrict it if that is the case.
I really think so too. Will see how next 2 days go but will probably have them come pick it up and looo at it.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Harry brenner wrote:
It does take a little time to get to 45 but not bad.When we purchased this I asked the service manager about restrictions and he said he would take care of it.I do not know what he did but it is faster than our lx with a carb. He did say not to open it up until she gets 50 miles on it.
I'm assuming 45mph? Not 45/h right?
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
45 mph
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I believe yours is a limited
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Harry brenner wrote:
I believe yours is a limited
The ViN and documentation says otherwise but believe it somehow got built as a limited.

Thx for all the responses!
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I was told by the service manager at a Vespa dealer that the speedometer on the limited has the red marks like yours . Mine does not have any red lines on it
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Harry brenner wrote:
I was told by the service manager at a Vespa dealer that the speedometer on the limited has the red marks like yours . Mine does not have any red lines on it
Thank you. I will review that wirh my dealer
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Harry brenner wrote:
I looked again at the Vespa Motorsports in San Diego's YouTube video of the 50cc Limited, it does not have the red marks yet is is limited.

Curious if it's a US/Canada thing.

[/img]
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I just looked at one of Robots (Scooterswest) and he does mention a red mark on the speedometer for the limiter edition 30 mph Thanks
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Limited edition is probably not the best way to describe a speed limited scooter.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Limited edition is probably not the best way to describe a speed limited scooter.
Their terminology is "limited" speed, which I agree, is not great. It's not even a model offered on the Canadian website, but believe somehow that is what we got. Email sent to our dealer to review and have them come pick it up to take back for troubleshooting.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I agree it should be called a limited speed
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
My wife went through the manual again, and there is a page that lists the prefixes for VIN #s. Turns out they show a CANADIAN PREFIX for a VIN for regular Primavera 50cc and a Limited Speed of 45km/h. According to their prefix our 50cc is a regular and NOT a limited speed, but again, everything is saying otherwise. Email send to Dealer and I will also call Vespa tomorrow.

Thanks again to all those with feedback. Loving the Vespa, but this is a bit frustrating on a new purchase that had 0km on it when purchased. Par for the course. Our new 2021 Jeep Rubicon has been delayed as well this year since ordering in January, that is why we bought this to tide us over...lol.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I looked in my owners manual and could not find anything Can you give me the page number she found it on ? thanks
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Harry brenner wrote:
I looked in my owners manual and could not find anything Can you give me the page number she found it on ? thanks
In our manual Pg 30.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Thanks again
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
i thought 50cc vespa's were designed to top out at city speeds... 45kmh ish... and 125cc tops out at country driving 80kmh.. and the 300cc gts is for highway driving 130kmh ish...

isnt that normal?
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Hummus2 wrote:
i thought 50cc vespa's were designed to top out at city speeds... 45kmh ish... and 125cc tops out at country driving 80kmh.. and the 300cc gts is for highway driving 130kmh ish...

isnt that normal?
I'm new but in all our research and information we gathered before buying is that a 50cc should be able to get to above 60km/, a 125cc to about 85'ish and 300 at about 110km/h.

Even Vespa shows that the 50cc comes in 2 versions. Ours says it should not be restricted to 45km/h but should go higher. Even our dealer has got a 50cc to 72km/h.
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC quote
My LX 50 could barely make it to 43 km/h. And that was a strong two-stroke engine. It was designed to keep the speed limit for mopeds and Piaggio is very conservative in that respect. Ten years on I got my second moped scooter, a NIU NQi Sport, which easily accelerates to 49 km/h and keeps that speed. Makes a lot of difference in Berlin traffic. I had to get rid of the slow Vespa after one summer, but the NIU works great.

I'm guessing the Primavera 50 still uses the same simple restriction as the LX did. If that is the case, all you need to do is lose the spacer ring in the transmission case. Don't do it yourself, if you've never done it. Your workshop should be able to do that in half an hour.

Check your local bylaws, though. Derestricting would null and void the bike's roadworthiness here.
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC quote
Here's what it looked like on a two-stroke LX 50 (HiPer2 engine).

You can ride that engine without a ring, but I'm not sure how it is with your engine. You may need a thinner ring in place.
Transmission case opened. The spacer is on the driven pulley.
Transmission case opened. The spacer is on the driven pulley.
The ring. As you can see, it limits the travel between the two pulley halves, so that the belt never reaches the outer circumference. There is already a groove half way up from wear.
The ring. As you can see, it limits the travel between the two pulley halves, so that the belt never reaches the outer circumference. There is already a groove half way up from wear.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Thanks for the page number it cleared everything up for me .Let me know what your dealer says
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
My LX 50 could barely make it to 43 km/h. And that was a strong two-stroke engine. It was designed to keep the speed limit for mopeds and Piaggio is very conservative in that respect. Ten years on I got my second moped scooter, a NIU NQi Sport, which easily accelerates to 49 km/h and keeps that speed. Makes a lot of difference in Berlin traffic. I had to get rid of the slow Vespa after one summer, but the NIU works great.

I'm guessing the Primavera 50 still uses the same simple restriction as the LX did. If that is the case, all you need to do is lose the spacer ring in the transmission case. Don't do it yourself, if you've never done it. Your workshop should be able to do that in half an hour.

Check your local bylaws, though. Derestricting would null and void the bike's roadworthiness here.
For me I'm not concerned about any laws as my wife ahs her motorcycle license and I do too. The key is the bike we were sold was to be a regular 50cc not a restricted one.

I'm going to let the dealer deal with it. My concern is the manual refers to the limited speed one has less horsepower. Not if that is due to only a restrictive ring or something else as well.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
Here's what it looked like on a two-stroke LX 50 (HiPer2 engine).

You can ride that engine without a ring, but I'm not sure how it is with your engine. You may need a thinner ring in place.
Thank you. I have seen that and a few videos on how to remove. I'm going to let the dealer deal with all of this.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
I was told by my service manager that the limited has a 3. Something and the non limited has a 4.1 hp. Good luck.keep us posted thanks
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th

Enthusiast
2021 Primavera 150 75th
UTC quote
Minor update, called Vespa NA. Talked with their CSR there. They agree that the dealer should take a look. Had a good chat with the owner of my Vespa dealer today. As it is Easter Monday, not all staff is in, but tomorrow they will call to schedule a trailer to pick it up.

Hope by end of week there is some resolve. Will post once I hear back from them.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
great I hope everything works out.Keep us informed
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0458s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0185s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]