New Primavera 50 Sean Wotherspoon
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
2021 Primavera 50 Sean Wotherspoon
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:08 pm quote
UPDATE:

Well not much of an update.
- Dealer picked up Vespa on April 6, 2021.
- I called on April 8, 2021 as they had not called me. Service department not very good. I was told a message would be left for them to call me back to see what's going on.
- Called them again April 9, 2021 as still no response.
- Called them again on April 12, 2021 and finally got to speak to someone. Basically told they had not looked at it yet as it's a busy season. I was not pleased. I reminded them this is a brand new bike, and we kept being told there was a break-in period and after we gave them the time for us to hit 100km, there were no changes. At this point, I have still not spoken to service, but someone in the 'sales' area. I said When it was picked up I said I expected it back by the end of vacation and the whole point of them picking it up on April 6 was so that they had 1 1/2 weeks to troubleshoot and fix.
- FINALLY got a call from the sales person who sold it to us (the sister of the dealer owner) yesterday (sales)(April 14) and they said it was now being looked at. I reminded them again to check to see if a restrictor ring on the variator got installed. She said their techs would look at everything. NOTE: I still have NOT spoken to anyone in the tech/service department at the Dealer yet!
- Today (April 15), I called Vespa NA in New York to advise them that I am a new owner, the challenges with the bike and that the dealer is less than helpful. I said, there is only one Dealer in my city and as such I don't have much help. Leo was great. Took my Vin, my info and said he would escalate it internally and would keep me informed. A few hours later, unrelated to my call to Vespa, I got a call from a different guy in sales at the Dealer. (Still no call from service), saying they took it out and like I keep telling them, it doesn't get up to speed. Told they don't know why. I asked outright, have they looked at the variator. I said I have told them and emailed them about it. He had no response. I said they need to check on that.

I am back home on Sunday. If I don't get a call and an update by Monday, I am driving there on Tuesday (service is closed Sunday/Monday), and will be dealing with this in person.
Hooked
PX200
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:22 am quote
I would be looking for some sort of compensation at this stage... A gesture of good will from the dealership, aside from the immediate need to rectify the problem.

They are obviously incompetent.
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:43 pm quote
bluefoam wrote:
I would be looking for some sort of compensation at this stage... A gesture of good will from the dealership, aside from the immediate need to rectify the problem.

They are obviously incompetent.
I'm not holding my breath.
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 pm quote
UPDATE: April 21, 2021

I have to say Leo at Piaggio Group North America in NYC's customer service department has been great. Since connecting with him late last week, he has been really good about communication.

As of today between the Dealer and Piaggio's tech team in California they have been back and forth. It has been confirmed that there was no restrictor ring installed (I was hoping there was one and it would be an easy fix). They have checked freeze reports with no faults. They checked for blockages in the exhaust and other lines with no finds.

I was told that the Dealer was going to be having another call with Piaggio's tech team at about 5pm MST today.

It appears to be a very mysterious issue that has yet to be diagnosed. I am crossing fingers that the constant communication leads to a result ASAP.

I'm happy to hear it's at least being worked on and communication is flowing which is all I ever wanted.

I was also pleased today when the Dealer said they were going to install at no cost some accessories I ordered which I was going to install myself. A small, but nice gesture and I thanked them.

I hope by the weekend it's back home!
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Trident 660
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:59 pm quote
I thought a modern Vespa would have an electronic restriction programmed in the ECU?
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:27 am quote
johnymoore wrote:
I thought a modern Vespa would have an electronic restriction programmed in the ECU?
Apparently not. Still use the restrictor ring in the assembly plant to prevent the variator from closing up.
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:40 am quote
yeg_wotherspoon wrote:
johnymoore wrote:
Apparently not. Still use the restrictor ring in the assembly plant to prevent the variator from closing up.
So I stand corrected. Vespa uses both restrictor ring and electronic speed limiting.

From Piaggio 2 mins ago:

“ I have some updates for you. My technical team reach out back to me yesterday after they went over the bike again. The scooter should be fixed within a day or so as I was informed. It has a euro limited speed map in it. We are requested Italy to send a 45km map to the dealers PADS tool (a tool which dealers use in order to read the computer of the bike) so he can upload a new map ASAP. It is a programming issue instead of something being wrong or defective with the bike. My technical person will alert me once the bike is ready and I will get in touch with you right away, or you may receive a call from the dealership.

I will keep you updated with anything that comes up, but the issue has been identified and the bike will be fixed soon.”

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:24 am
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 am
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 am quote
Top Speed Vespa 50
I due enjoy zooming around town on a smaller 50cc scooter. I usually
rent this size on vacation. However, at 198 pounds, I need a minimum
of 150cc to move my mass around at any acceptable speed.

I do like the designer color scheme on that Vespa.

I know they cost more, but, you can always drive a larger scooter slow.

I find the Vespa GTS300 to be the machine for all uses.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:37 am quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
I due enjoy zooming around town on a smaller 50cc scooter. I usually
rent this size on vacation. However, at 198 pounds, I need a minimum
of 150cc to move my mass around at any acceptable speed.

I do like the designer color scheme on that Vespa.

I know they cost more, but, you can always drive a larger scooter slow.

I find the Vespa GTS300 to be the machine for all uses.

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
Where we live a 50cc for weekend fun is probably enough and 99% of Vespa’s at the dealer are 50cc. It’s a weekend toy for us for our 2-3 months of really nice summer weather.

Our state of mind is anything larger than 150cc and we will just get a nice MotoGuzzi:-)
2020 Primavera 50 Touring
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:43 pm quote
Hope you get it resolved soon because that is terrible.
I have a 2020 Primavera 50cc that I bought new last year and on flat ground I easily get up to 35 mph and I weigh 230lbs.
Even on an average hill I hold 20-25 mph.
This was before I did the variator mod but that was a waste of time as it did nothing to increase my speed.
I am doing the Malossi ignition upgrade next in the hopes of simply gaining a few mph.
Good luck with your issue.
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:24 am quote
Thanks @deadhead1965

I hope it's sorted by end of today. The weather in the Great White North here is getting nice and would love to get some fresh air!

I am not sure I will do the Malossi variator mod, but was looking at the Malossi ignition upgrade as well.
Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 50 2018
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:08 pm quote
I have a Piaggio Liberty 50 Iget 3V Fuel Injected with 3000km, and my top speed is 85 km/h on the piaggio speedo but in real is 74 km/h ON GPS at 9500RPM.
I found that the European CDI is different from the Canadian one (see the numbers on pictures. I have the REV.B)!
(The second picture is my CDI on my scooter. )
The one from Canada is the same # as the Liberty 125cc!

Euro CDI

My Piaggio CDI

Hooked
Vespa LX80
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:12 pm quote
Glad you are getting it sorted out finally.
2020 Primavera 50 Touring
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:10 pm quote
Just an FYI that the Malossi ignition kit did add a few mph top-end to my Primavera 50cc
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:35 pm quote
UPDATE: April 29, 2021

So it's been 3 weeks + 2 day since the bike went to the Dealer. End of last week Vespa Italy was supposed to send the new ECU map to the Dealer. By Tuesday it was done, only to find out the wrong file was sent:(

However, as of today, Vespa emailed me to advise me that the Dealer has received, uploaded and tested the newer ECU map file and the bike finally gets up to over 60km/h without any issue based on all stock engine and that we can expect a call for the Dealer to coordinate delivery back to us.

We have owned the bike now for 4 weeks as of today, and really have not had any chance to use it as the issue was noticed on day 1.

Finally glad it's been sorted. Vespa NA in New York and specifically Leo there was great at communication, being on top of everything and helping us out with some compensation with free extended warranty on the bike which we accepted to make sure our ride is covered for as long as possible.

Now to enjoy the weekend weather!
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Trident 660
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:03 pm quote
Glad you finally got it sorted
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:21 pm quote
johnymoore wrote:
Glad you finally got it sorted
Being delivered back to us by the dealer before 3pm tomorrow. What a crazy story but glad it is sorted
Sat May 01, 2021 1:05 pm quote
UPDATE: May 1, 2021

We got the bike back today!!!! And I can report it now works as it's supposed. to. Got it up to 67km/h on a flat area with some headwinds (42mph). Now to test it with my wife and I both on it for the next couple of weeks before we figure out what we want to do with it next.

Now that it's back, got the new Ram Mount phone holder installed and some new Buzzetti folding foot pegs from SIP Scooters (no place in Canada had any so, so Germany was cheaper and quicker than any US supplier).

Some photos here. Glad we added the top box in the Verde Relax colour looks great. The Sean Wotherspoon edition seat back is still waiting to arrive. Will then take the entire Vespa to get nano/ceramic coating on the upholstery and some custom Xpel to the front and footwell areas.

Sat May 01, 2021 4:28 pm quote
yeg_wotherspoon wrote:

Now that it's back, got the new Ram Mount phone holder installed and some new Buzzetti folding foot pegs from SIP Scooters (no place in Canada had any so, so Germany was cheaper and quicker than any US supplier).

Some photos here. Glad we added the top box in the Verde Relax colour looks great. The Sean Wotherspoon edition seat back is still waiting to arrive. Will then take the entire Vespa to get nano/ceramic coating on the upholstery and some custom Xpel to the front and footwell areas.
Congrats on getting this sorted. Is SIP Scooters legitimate? How was shipping costs and delivery time?
Sat May 01, 2021 7:52 pm quote
Googlefish wrote:
yeg_wotherspoon wrote:

Congrats on getting this sorted. Is SIP Scooters legitimate? How was shipping costs and delivery time?
SIP is very legit. One of the largest Scooter supply companies in the world for accessories.

I liked that they show Canadian prices when ordering, great customer service and timing. Shipping felt reasonable coming from Germany compared to US at $35cdn for what I ordered.

I know I will order again from them.
Sun May 02, 2021 2:32 am quote
yeg_wotherspoon wrote:
Googlefish wrote:
yeg_wotherspoon wrote:

SIP is very legit. One of the largest Scooter supply companies in the world for accessories.

I liked that they show Canadian prices when ordering, great customer service and timing. Shipping felt reasonable coming from Germany compared to US at $35cdn for what I ordered.

I know I will order again from them.
Prices look really good. Any issues with any duties or taxes or “brokerage fees” on arrival? Which shipping option was best? Thanks.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Sun May 02, 2021 3:15 am quote
yeg_wotherspoon wrote:
johnymoore wrote:
Yes ... this thing was also widespread in Italy, especially on the 50 cc models which despite being limited to 4.5 hp but which by Italian law had to be limited to a speed of 45 kilometers per hour; to get the speed, a limiter ring was placed in the variator and an other in the exhaust manifold.
In 1994 I had an Aprilia Rally 50 which I had removed the ring limiter and it reached 95 km / h!
Why don't we act on the ECU to get the same result?
The answer is relatively simple, slow down and have less power for each model built specifically for each import market and for each type of legislation is easier and less expensive to do by inserting a price limiting ring of a few cents, in other words the solution. easier .
But this is just a personal story.

DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.0787s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0395s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]