OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
What is the break in period on any Vespa? I was told there is no break in but dealer says 50 miles
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
You will hear many opinions from zero to 2,000 miles or more. My personal opinion is that the initial service at 600 miles is there for a reason. An equally pertinent question is how do you treat the scooter during that "break-in" period. Again, there are many different answers. Mine is to avoid hard acceleration, and sustained high speeds for the first 600 miles. I make a point of varying the speed of the scooter during that period, with no sustained riding at any single speed. I have broken in 4 new Vespas this way. It seems to have worked.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
You should have this paragraph in your owner's manual:

DURING THE FIRST 1000 KM DO NOT RIDE THE VEHICLE OVER 80% OF ITS MAXIMUM SPEED. AVOID TWISTING THE THROTTLE GRIP FULLY OR KEEPING A CONSTANT SPEED ALONG LONG SECTIONS OF ROAD. AFTER THE FIRST 1000 KM, GRADUALLY INCREASE SPEED UNTIL REACHING THE MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Thanks I just found it in owners manual
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]
UTC quote
Advice varies... The manual says 600 miles (or 1000 km) for the first service on a GTS 300. A recent poster said they change their oil at 100 miles and then again at 600 miles. I think it would be wise to judge how long your break-in period will take and figure it out from there. For some, putting 600 miles on a Vespa could take over a year... If the break-in period is going to take much more than a year, I wouldn't recommend waiting to change the engine oil until 600 miles.... Do it before then and then again at 600 miles.

I'm "breaking in" a 2018 that basically sat for 3+ years in a shed with 3 miles on it. The previous owner never changed any of the fluids - he had not reached the break-in 600 miles. Before I started the "break in" anew, I changed the engine oil and the hub oil, as both were over 3 years old. I also changed the brake fluid and coolant which were both of the same 3 year-old vintage (the coolant was orange and vile and definitely needed it). Now, I'm trying to go a little easy and vary the throttle as much as possible without pissing off drivers behind me. I just hit 110 miles today, so around another 500 boring, easy driving miles to go!

Advice: Use 600 miles and/or 12ish months (whatever comes first) as the time for first engine oil change.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Thanks for the information .I think I will change the oil at 300 miles and go from there. It has 50 miles on it so far bought it in January but weather has been to bad to ride Thanks
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Follow the manual on how to break in the engine, and on when to service the bike. My advice is NOT to change the oil earlier than 600 miles (ie: 100 or 200 miles). It does no good whatsoever to do that. That is unless for some reason you go over a year or so before completing 600 miles. However, bear in mind the first service should be carried out at 600 miles or within 6 months of purchase.

Just to clarify, the factory fill oil should be left in the engine until first service because it will start to break down much earlier than normal during the run in period. This is good and is due to the extra heat and friction in the engine which tends to 'mash' the additives sooner than is normal. This is actually what you want during the running in period. It allows the much needed miniscule metal to metal contact between components inside the engine, allowing components to bed-in much more easily. Changing out the oil early doesn't give the oil any real chance to break down thus making it harder to bed in the engine components. And yes this is all well established in the motor engineering trade at the level I designed and tested at.

I would add that if you have changed your oil early, it won't cause your motor to suddenly explode, but it's just not the best practice. Although, the difference it makes is small, it can be measured in most engines (excluding Nikasil bores) through engine blueprinting. Just saying!
OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Ok thanks l will not change until 600 miles or what ever owners manual says
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Good advice here and it's a pretty easy process. Just don't go WOT and try to vary the speed/throttle until the first service. The longer more complicated discussion is when does a motor truly open up and "break in"?

Some take the "ride it like you stole it" approach to break in but that is a more complicated and controversial method.
OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Thanks for all the help
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0097s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0030s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]