OP
@fatbear5 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1977 P200, 1980 P200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1250
Location: Fresno, CA
 
Molto Verboso
@fatbear5 avatar
1977 P200, 1980 P200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1250
Location: Fresno, CA
UTC quote
I want to splice in several feet of wire on my Trail Tech CHT. Does anyone know what gauge those two wires are? Any reason I shouldn't do this?
UTC

parallelogramerist
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5260
 
parallelogramerist
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5260
UTC quote
Re: Trail Tech DIY
Fatbear5 wrote:
I want to splice in several feet of wire on my Trail Tech CHT. Does anyone know what gauge those two wires are? Any reason I shouldn't do this?
You can also go the easy route and just buy an extenion from TT.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2413
 
Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2413
UTC quote
Interested too, looking to do the same...

Looking at recreating the connectors because of the wiring through the handlebars.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7157
Location: So Cal
 
bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7157
Location: So Cal
UTC quote
I used 22 gauge.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8555
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8555
Location: San Diego, CA
UTC quote
I too bought the extension. I like clean connectors and less solder joints to fail.
UTC

parallelogramerist
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5260
 
parallelogramerist
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5260
UTC quote
108 wrote:
Interested too, looking to do the same...

Looking at recreating the connectors because of the wiring through the handlebars.
If you want to recreate the connectors, TT uses J.S.T. connectors. You will also need JST propriety crimper tool. So either use 22 gauge like SoCalGuy, or buy the extension. Either will work.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7157
Location: So Cal
 
bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7157
Location: So Cal
UTC quote
IMO the extension is a waste of money. The connectors are too bulky ... they don't fit through the opening from the headset to the switches or through the grommet for the harness.

I ran a long splice of two 22g wires twisted together from the engine through the frame and up into the handlebars. I snipped both connectors off about 3" from the ends, and spliced them on to the new wire with solder & heat shrink. It's a clean install and gauges work perfectly.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2413
 
Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2413
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
IMO the extension is a waste of money. The connectors are too bulky ... they don't fit through the opening from the headset to the switches or through the grommet for the harness.

I ran a long splice of two 22g wires twisted together from the engine through the frame and up into the handlebars. I snipped both connectors off about 3" from the ends, and spliced them on to the new wire with solder & heat shrink. It's a clean install and gauges work perfectly.
Good to know it's something other folks are doing... that was going to be my plan B...
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3547
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3547
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
UTC quote
108 wrote:
SoCalGuy wrote:
IMO the extension is a waste of money. The connectors are too bulky ... they don't fit through the opening from the headset to the switches or through the grommet for the harness.

I ran a long splice of two 22g wires twisted together from the engine through the frame and up into the handlebars. I snipped both connectors off about 3" from the ends, and spliced them on to the new wire with solder & heat shrink. It's a clean install and gauges work perfectly.
Good to know it's something other folks are doing... that was going to be my plan B...
Use this as your plan A if you can solder.
OP
@fatbear5 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1977 P200, 1980 P200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1250
Location: Fresno, CA
 
Molto Verboso
@fatbear5 avatar
1977 P200, 1980 P200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1250
Location: Fresno, CA
UTC quote
Thanks Guys. I have 22 gauge wire so I'll go with that.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8555
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8555
Location: San Diego, CA
UTC quote
I think each bike model is different, the connectors fit everywhere on my P. On the smallie i actually just remembered that I stole the turn signal wires instead of an extension, so I'm in both camps .
@captcha avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
VBA
Joined: UTC
Posts: 96
Location: Texas
 
Enthusiast
@captcha avatar
VBA
Joined: UTC
Posts: 96
Location: Texas
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
IMO the extension is a waste of money. The connectors are too bulky ... they don't fit through the opening from the headset to the switches or through the grommet for the harness.
Agreed.

I found the connectors to be bulky as well to route the cable how I wanted it (snake it through the split in the VBA headset). I ended up taking apart the connector on one side of the TT extension. Then I was able to easily route it with just the 2 pins loose, then put the connector back on once the extension was in place. I don't know if I would do it this way next time.

I found the TT extension to be a tad short when routed the cable from headset to underneath tank. It was a PITA to re-assemble the connector in the tight confines of the bottom of the tank area. I would go bottom up next time for extension.

I would say the harness is a good quick solution, however if you already have 22 gauge wire and heat shrink tubing I would probably go that way.
@whereshaldo avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
Joined: UTC
Posts: 422
Location: Seattle
 
Hooked
@whereshaldo avatar
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
Joined: UTC
Posts: 422
Location: Seattle
UTC quote
I did this using thermostat wire. Its a solid core wire which makes it a little easier to push through the body and it solders up with the existing wires easily enough. Just keep the solid core wires in the body.

Hal
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3547
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3547
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
UTC quote
whereshaldo wrote:
I did this using thermostat wire. Its a solid core wire which makes it a little easier to push through the body and it solders up with the existing wires easily enough. Just keep the solid core wires in the body.

Hal
Solid wire isn't as forgiving as stranded, to much flexing at will break.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0141s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]