@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
EZ Pass in NYC is going to start fining/charging a higher rate if your ezpass is not mounted to the windscreen. I've got the smaller, newer transponder. It won't stick on (I've tried three different times), and I'm not sure how others have mounted it up to now. Please help with suggestions/products! I've tried on other areas by the tachometer, but there's not a flat area in there. Please help, thank you!!
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Illinois IPASS has a transponder you can screw onto your rear license plate bracket.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Leave it in your jacket pocket.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
You can get magnetic ones apparently. https://www.google.com/search?q=magnetic+ezpass+holder
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
What are you supposed to do if your motorcycle does not have a windscreen?
OP
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
What are you supposed to do if your motorcycle does not have a windscreen?
Good question; My guess is they use the holders transfixed to the handlebars but it's not an option with my ride. :/

My jacket only has pockets on the side, not the arm and I don't think it'll get picked up, so then I'll be stuck with the fine.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Will it mount to a mirror?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
3M makes a product called Dual Lock reclosable fastener that's like heavy duty Velcro. Its super sticky adhesive should stick tight to your windscreen and the transponder. It comes in black and clear, and you can find smaller pieces of it it in hardware stores.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener/dp/B007OXK1AK
OP
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
3M makes a product called Dual Lock reclosable fastener that's like heavy duty Velcro. Its super sticky adhesive should stick tight to your windscreen and the transponder. It comes in black and clear, and you can find smaller pieces of it it in hardware stores.

I bought this exact thing today. I'm going to wash the scooter good weekend and try again. It wasn't sticking when i tried that.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:

I bought this exact thing today. I'm going to wash the scooter good weekend and try again. It wasn't sticking when i tried that.
It may help to clean the surfaces with alcohol. Beware -- the Dual Lock will probably leave a permanent mark on a plastic windscreen!
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
I am using the hook and loop strips I had requested from E-ZPass (free of charge) for my newer style tag, which is securely mounted to the inside of a short screen.
OP
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
I am using the hook and loop strips I had requested from E-ZPass (free of charge) for my newer style tag, which is securely mounted to the inside of a short screen.
Do you have any pics?
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
I leave the EZPass transponder in the front glove box on the Liberty and the other EZ is in the upper cubby on the Silverwing. They always register for me. But my friend took a lanyard and made a EZPass holder. I know another motorcycle rider who made a wrist wrap holder outta velcro. I always wear my safety vest and used to put it on the badge holder, but mine work in their hidden locatios so far. Why can't EZPass just do the pay by plate at the EZ rate like they used to?
OP
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
I leave the EZPass transponder in the front glove box on the Liberty and the other EZ is in the upper cubby on the Silverwing. They always register for me. But my friend took a lanyard and made a EZPass holder. I know another motorcycle rider who made a wrist wrap holder outta velcro. I always wear my safety vest and used to put it on the badge holder, but mine work in their hidden locatios so far. Why can't EZPass just do the pay by plate at the EZ rate like they used to?
Oh, they do! But if it's not properly mounted, I get charged more. So, basically, a penalty. If it's toll by mail, it's a higher rate (per their website, going into effect on Monday).
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
That's literally the Handleband. It's designed to hold a cell phone on a bicycle - I think it was a Kickstarter. You can probably find one at a local hardware store or bike shop.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Re: EZ Pass Holder ??
Karlsbadd wrote:
EZ Pass in NYC is going to start fining/charging a higher rate if your ezpass is not mounted to the windscreen. I've got the smaller, newer transponder. It won't stick on (I've tried three different times), and I'm not sure how others have mounted it up to now. Please help with suggestions/products! I've tried on other areas by the tachometer, but there's not a flat area in there. Please help, thank you!!
What does the new transponder look like?

This is an issue for me as well: whatever pocket I end up putting the thing in, it registers in some toll stations but not others. Last time I used an industrial-strength Velcro setup, I hit a depression in the road hard enough to lose the transponder.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
I thought I was in good shape by putting the transponder in the chest pocket of my riding jacket, but nope - after three rides this week the Henry Hudson Bridge read two out of three southbound, and zero out of three northbound. Might have to go with the stupid shoulder band.

I'm guessing a lot of errors, or maybe fraud, was going on with the license plate readers - turning 3s into 8s, for example - so they're incentivizing a return to the transponders. An annoying step back to the early 2000s technology.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
giallo wrote:
Do you have any pics?
Velcro strips on Vespa to secure EZPass tag.
Velcro strips on Vespa to secure EZPass tag.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
I might have found a solution (at least for someone like me with a windscreen):

https://www.ebay.com/c/2255529030
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:

You can save yourself the expense. E-Zpass will send you the hook and loop strips for free.

It's not like ordinary velcro, the tag mounts securely to the windscreen and with thousands of miles with this set-up (see the image above, strips to the right of the Beeline navigation unit), I can tell you that the mounting is NYC area rough road proof.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
amateriat wrote:

You can save yourself the expense. E-Zpass will send you the hook and loop strips for free.

It's not like ordinary velcro, the tag mounts securely to the windscreen and with thousands of miles with this set-up (see the image above, strips to the right of the Beeline navigation unit), I can tell you that the mounting is NYC area rough road proof.
Hmm...well, I ordered the thing already, so we'll see.

In fact, before I had the windscreen, I Velcro'd the thing to the underside of the handlebar housing; this worked for a while, but (1) it still was hit-or-miss with certain toll stations, and (2) I eventually hit a Ceres-class pothole which dislodged the transponder and jettisoned it who-knows-where. Now that I have the Flyscreen, we'll see hw things go.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Making It a Bit More "EZ"
Admittedly, this is a bit more involved that giallo's setup, but (1) this one doesn't require anything chemically adhesive to the windscreen, which I waned to avoid, and (2)I have the option to pull the thing off and place it anywhere else on the screen as I see fit. But, if you've got something that already works for you, stick to it!
EZ Pass Holder, *sans* Tag: Three suction cups hold it to the screen, and seem quite tenacious to that end.
EZ Pass Holder, *sans* Tag: Three suction cups hold it to the screen, and seem quite tenacious to that end.
EZ Pass Holder, with Tag: The holder comes with a set of closed-cell adhesive-foam strips to prevent the tag from rattling around in the holder; I embellished this with a single adhesive rubber dot.
EZ Pass Holder, with Tag: The holder comes with a set of closed-cell adhesive-foam strips to prevent the tag from rattling around in the holder; I embellished this with a single adhesive rubber dot.
EZ Pass holder, Front View
EZ Pass holder, Front View
EZ Pass Tag, Embellished: There's only one small problem wit this setup: it's  simple to pop the tag in, but not to get it back out. Solution: a pull-tab attached to the left side. I chose to use a length of Brother P-Touch tape, which also allowed me to
EZ Pass Tag, Embellished: There's only one small problem wit this setup: it's simple to pop the tag in, but not to get it back out. Solution: a pull-tab attached to the left side. I chose to use a length of Brother P-Touch tape, which also allowed me to
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 1 time
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
I hope those suction cups withstand external conditions and adherence to the plexi (as opposed to glass).

My experience has been that they work well...until they don't.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
I hope those suction cups withstand external conditions and adherence to the plexi (as opposed to glass).

My experience has been that they work well...until they don't.
These particular cups seem to be quite compliant, but I'll be checking them every few weeks or so to make certain. Also, they're not having to hold something particularly heavy.
@cmatts avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe

Enthusiast
@cmatts avatar
2020 gts 300 super sport hpe
UTC quote
prob not super helpful but looked at a used vespa that had a easy pass box screwed on the left knee pad on the leg shield. not sure where it came from though.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Let's See If This Works...
Well, I was going to test this setup out before Melody's intersection smackdown yesterday, but I'm optimistic, and the thing actually fits. Stay Tuned.
Behind the "Tie": Once I have her back on the road, we'll have results.
Behind the "Tie": Once I have her back on the road, we'll have results.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I like it! Seems like a promising location, and you don't have to think about removing it to deter thieves.

Here in California, my Fastrak is intermittently read from the glove box, adhered to the side of the tool hole. We don't have any incentive for the transponder to work though, so I haven't tried to optimize it. If the state forgets to charge me $8 per trip, I'm okay with it.
OP
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
Re: Let's See If This Works...
amateriat wrote:
Well, I was going to test this setup out before Melody's intersection smackdown yesterday, but I'm optimistic, and the thing actually fits. Stay Tuned.
Please keep me posted on whether or not this works! I won't be riding again until maybe Sept/October (optimistically thinking), but I am tired of getting charged the full fare, and then calling them to correct it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0178s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0086s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]